CC in a post office? - Page 6

CC in a post office?

This is a discussion on CC in a post office? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dfleming I always wonder why someone would get so worried about 39 CFR 232.1 and 18 USC 930. You can't be searched ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dfleming View Post
    I always wonder why someone would get so worried about 39 CFR 232.1 and 18 USC 930. You can't be searched without probable cause. According to the regulation, the post office security and postal inspectors can't search you unless you have been arrested. They can't search your vehicle unless you have been arrested. Learn to say "I don't consent to any searches. Am I being detained?" If the answer is no, walk away.

Conceal your firearm. You carry it with the intent of using deadly force to protect your life and the lives of your family members. If you are afraid of a $50 fine, you won't have enough courage to pull the trigger to save your life. Leave the firearm at home if you can't even deal with post office regulations.
    And here I thought CCWers were responsible, law abiding citizens. To hell with the laws eh? As long as you don't get caught, it's all good?

Quote Originally Posted by LM2024 View Post
    And here I thought CCWers were responsible, law abiding citizens. To hell with the laws eh? As long as you don't get caught, it's all good?
    Actually, I'm a peaceable armed citizen, not necessarily responsible and law abiding. When the laws are written and the Constitution is interpreted such that we each commit 3 felonies a day, none of us can be considered law-abiding.

And I didn't say that I would enter a post office with a gun nor did I suggest that anyone else do it. There's no need to enter a post office given all the other options. My point was that someone who abrogates his duty and responsibility to protect his family because of a $50 fine shouldn't be carrying a firearm.

SR9
    Anybody in VA take this online class: Concealed Handgun Permit Firearms Safety Class - Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit ?

At one point in the video he brings up post offices and says something to the effect of: Post offices are gray areas, some people feel it shouldn't be allowed and some do. If there aren't any signs prohibiting guns, then it's legal to carry in a post office.

It'd be pretty bad if he's misinforming the thousands of people who use this to get a permit.

I've been searching for an answer and came across one forum where a guy in va posted about it. He emailed the state police because it's not listed as illegal on their site. According to what he posted they said since it's a federal matter he'd have to direct his question to them...

Edit: Sent the question to that site I linked. Response was: "By "posting" all postal facilities, they are off limits to concealed carry, open carry, or even transportation on the property. The argument has been whether or not postal property is actually federal property by definition. I feel that it is universally accepted that postal property is off limits for possession of a firearm."

I'm still curious if anyone else here has seen that video and what they got out of it as far as carrying on postal property.
    Last edited by SR9; February 15th, 2010 at 12:05 PM.

This is from TOM GRESHAM at GunTalk....yes, it is illegal after a recent court decision. Tom even made a video covering this topic and mentioned it is even illegal to carry it onto the PROPERTY of the USPS...even in your car!!! Watch the video here: GunTalkTV - The #1 Online Resource for Gun Training

Let's examine the issue. You can buy stamps at the grocery store and can CC there, you can mail letters at a free standing mailbox on the street and CC there, you can send packages at the UPS store and CC there, so my question is.....why are you still going to the post office?
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

So maybe we should treat the USPS like any other anti-CC business and not do business with them until they change their policy. Virtually every service they provide is also provided by someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
    So maybe we should treat the USPS like any other anti-CC business and not do business with them until they change their policy. Virtually every service they provide is also provided by someone else.
    BINGO!

You win one internets.

Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by wllmandre View Post
    Let's examine the issue. You can buy stamps at the grocery store and can CC there, you can mail letters at a free standing mailbox on the street and CC there, you can send packages at the UPS store and CC there, so my question is.....why are you still going to the post office?
    Because in my town, it's the only place I can RECEIVE mail. They don't deliver to the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    Concealed carry laws vary from state to state. Check "handgunlaw.us" for your answer.
    but they(states laws) dont trump FEDERAL law so no matter which state your in you CANT.

So part of the confusion is rooted in the wording of this section. The prohibition applies to "Federal facilit(ies)" except as provide for in subsection (d). Subsection (d) provides:

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to-

(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;

(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

End quote:

So we can "hunt" inside a federal building?

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    So we can "hunt" inside a federal building?
    Actually, there are federal lands (to include several military instillations) where hunting is permitted with appropriate licenses. The US Army regularly hires civilian Game Wardens for those areas. Not a bad law enforcement gig at all, if you like the outdoors (and can stand to deal with the Big Green Machine mentality day-in and day-out ).
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Based on the precedent set when courts have told local law enforcement that they can't enforce immigration laws, only federal law enforcement is permitted to do the enforcing, can we thus assume that local law enforcement can't enforce gun restrictions on federal property?

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgDog View Post
    Based on the precedent set when courts have told local law enforcement that they can't enforce immigration laws, only federal law enforcement is permitted to do the enforcing, can we thus assume that local law enforcement can't enforce gun restrictions on federal property?
    No, bad assumption. Immigration law is a very odd and specific animal. Local law enforcement can enforce the vast majority of federal laws. If you rob a bank, the local constabulary can definitely put the habeus grabus on you.

Whether or not they can enforce laws on federal property depends on the type of property it is, specifically the jurisdictional status of that property/building/land.

You would be rolling the dice big time by assuming that the local PD could not arrest you on federal property. Small chance you would be right, big chance you would be wrong. Something to take into consideration.

Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

FYI. You cannot carry or bring and firearm of any type within the right of way or limits of a Federal construction site.

They are not allowed on your person, in your vehicle or office. PERIOD!!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NRA Life Member
    NRA Golden Eagles
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    Anybody in VA take this online class: Concealed Handgun Permit Firearms Safety Class - Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit ?

At one point in the video he brings up post offices and says something to the effect of: Post offices are gray areas, some people feel it shouldn't be allowed and some do. If there aren't any signs prohibiting guns, then it's legal to carry in a post office.

It'd be pretty bad if he's misinforming the thousands of people who use this to get a permit.

I've been searching for an answer and came across one forum where a guy in va posted about it. He emailed the state police because it's not listed as illegal on their site. According to what he posted they said since it's a federal matter he'd have to direct his question to them...

Edit: Sent the question to that site I linked. Response was: "By "posting" all postal facilities, they are off limits to concealed carry, open carry, or even transportation on the property. The argument has been whether or not postal property is actually federal property by definition. I feel that it is universally accepted that postal property is off limits for possession of a firearm."

I'm still curious if anyone else here has seen that video and what they got out of it as far as carrying on postal property.
    I got out of it that he is completely wrong. Posting on postal property has NOTHING to do with the validity of firearms prohibition or prosecution. Firearms are prohibited whether or not the postal property is posted, and prosecution is possible whether or not the postal property is posted.

39 CFR 232.1 which contains the firearms prohibition contains a requirement that the property be posted at a conspicuous location. It does NOT require posting at entrances. Also, 39 CFR 232.1 contains no limits or consequences if the required posting is not present - in other words the prohibition remains in effect and prosecution remains possible without the posting in place.

18 USC 930 - the Federal facilities prohibition - only provides enhanced sentences for possession of firearms on postal property (as Federal property), but 18 USC 930 is not the actual firearms prohibition itself, 39 CFR 232.1 is the actual firearms prohibition.

Sources:
    http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...39cfr232.1.htm

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18...0----000-.html

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links