Took my Texas CHL class this weekend

This is a discussion on Took my Texas CHL class this weekend within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i've had my utah permit for a few months now and thought it was time to get my texas permit. i've heard the processing time ...

Thread: Took my Texas CHL class this weekend

Took my Texas CHL class this weekend

i've had my utah permit for a few months now and thought it was time to get my texas permit. i've heard the processing time is way down now so it shouldn't be that long of a wait to get the permit. i took the utah class first for several reasons but partly because of the class room time and mainly the processing time. well all of the texas classes i've checked into have advertised 10-12 hour class time including range time. i thought this was just something they put in there to scare off the people that were just wanting to get a quick license. well i found out it wasn't, the class took over 11 hours to my suprise. i was expecting 7-8 hours at the most. the class started at 8 and i told my wife i should be home around 5. i was wrong. i got home about 8 that night. it was about 4:30 and we still hadn't even started on our test yet. the instructor had an outdoor range and we knew that and someone asked him about it being to dark to shot because it gets dark early right now. he said don't worry he has lights set up out there so it doesn't matter how late we are. let me tell ya that made me feel alot better. most of what he told us i already knew because i had the utah class a few months ago and ya have been very helpful with questions on here and with links to sites for answers. well i made a 100 on the writen test which i felt real good about until he said everyone in the class made 100. he said that never happens, there are always a few that miss some questions. i guess we were just a smart class that paid attention and asked the right questions. i did learn and few new things and got a refresher course on the rest. all in all it wasn't a bad way to spend the day. at least at the end of it we got to go shoot some stuff.

2. Remove Ads

Glad to hear you've got the in-state license now. The Texans who've been getting *only* Utah non-res CHLs have been raising eyebrows in Austin, from what I hear.

I was glad to get the training on local laws on use of force, it's worth the peace of mind.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Good deal
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
    Glad to hear you've got the in-state license now. The Texans who've been getting *only* Utah non-res CHLs have been raising eyebrows in Austin, from what I hear.
    well i just took the class. i have to send in the paper work and get approved but i'm hopeful.

the instuctor that taught my texas class said that there was some rumors about changing the rules on getting a non-resident(utah) only permit. he didn't go into detail but he said that there was talk about changes.

The class is very enjoyable and you will learn a lot.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    I enjoyed my first class that I took years ago. Honestly, they put the length as it is because there are some yahoos who take the course. I guess anything they can do to discourage them.... (that's the thinking in Austin, I'm sure).

Had two friends took the class about one month ago and they both already have their CHL's and one guy had his fingerprint cards sent back because he forgot to sign them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Glad you got the class done.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I had a yahoo for an instructor, unfortunately. I will take it from a different place when I renew!

Glad you got it done. Hopefully it won't take yours 143 days like it took mine (2008)
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'm also a Texan with a Utah permit only...maybe I should apply for my TX permit sometime soon. The backup has kind of had me putting it off, even though my Utah lets me carry anyway.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I took my class on 12-22-09 and received my license on 01-22-10. My course was enjoyable, entertaining, and informative.

Texas statutes require 10 hours of instruction. It is not something they put in there to run folks off, it is what is required by law.

Glad you enjoyed the class, hope you learned a lot.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links