Why would anyone do this? - Page 2

Why would anyone do this?

This is a discussion on Why would anyone do this? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a CHP? come on he could have showed his CCW Badge! and Shash!! LOL...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Just a CHP? come on he could have showed his CCW Badge! and Shash!! LOL

NO ONE asks to see my carry permit....because I never tell ANYONE I HAVE ONE!!!
    The local LEO's.....especially the Chief...know I have one (they authorized it!!)....IMO...they are all that need to know....
    IF I travel into/through a "must-show" area of the country...and am ASKED by LEO or other legally governing body (ie., military, corporate security, etc.).....I will comply...otherwise....the permit -- like my carry weapon -- STAYS OUT OF SIGHT!!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    No.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    he managed to frisk me for weapons and make it look like an accident.

if he was bumping into you to see if you had a gun in your waistband that is not "frisking"
    Frisking (also called a patdown or pat down) is a search of a person's outer clothing wherein a police officer or other law enforcement agent runs his or her hands along the outer garments to detect any concealed weapons
    If he was rubbing his hands up and down your body that is not an "accident"
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

There's a second chapter to this story while the guy was giving me a tour of the facility he managed to frisk me for weapons and make it look like an accident.

I tend to be hypervigilant anyway so when this guy got into my bubble I caught on very quickly. I didn't say anything because he had all kinds of plausable deniability but I know when I'm being frisked.

Also this guy was the supervisor of this facility but he's a stranger to me. I work for this company part time as a fill in so they move me around from site to site as people are needed.
    Maybe he was just feeling you up . . .

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Being a very private person regarding firearm carry...no. Even being retired LE, my friends and family rarely if ever ask. I suppose it's not that big a deal, as long as he doesn't whip out a gun and say, look what I carry.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

if he was bumping into you to see if you had a gun in your waistband that is not "frisking"
    True, but im not sure what the correct terminology would be

Maybe he was just feeling you up
    The second time he touched me that thought crossed my mind but he was pretty specificly targeting areas where you might reasonably expect to find a gun or a strap from a shoulder holster. The thing is he was slick enough about doing it that had I called him on it he could have claimed close quarters or that he was trying to get around me to point out some relevant feature of the building that I was supposed to check.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    True, but im not sure what the correct terminology would be

The second time he touched me that thought crossed my mind but he was pretty specificly targeting areas where you might reasonably expect to find a gun or a strap from a shoulder holster. The thing is he was slick enough about doing it that had I called him on it he could have claimed close quarters or that he was trying to get around me to point out some relevant feature of the building that I was supposed to check.

Unless its a handshake I am uncomfortable with people I don't know touching me... Did you ask him to stop touching you? In this day in age people are more understanding about phobias you could claim Claustrophobia or maybe mild Hypochondria.

I agree if he was "checking you" that would make me uncomfortable. I say if you suspect me of carrying then ask me if I am don't grab at my gun, or my firearm....
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Host View Post
    Do you consider your "Trainer" to be a "random stranger"? Or do you think your trainer considers you to be a "random stranger"?
    That's what I was thinking..... Since the two people were sharing a common interested, very closely related to the CHP in their pockets it does not seem that odd.

A random stranger, no. But a "student" or a "trainer" ....I could see many people making that leap. Some people form bonds very quickly.

I myself don't react well to anyone being touchy with me. I had a co-worker grab me from behind, ended taking him to the ER for a broken nose from a well placed elbow. It's not like I planned it, pure reaction.

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

VIP Member
    A different view...
    I remember how I felt when I graduated from the Sheriff’s academy back when mussel cars were the norm. That badge and gun were as big as my head, until I realized that my ink pen and flashlight were my most used assets.

Today, I carry a permit and I returned to carrying a gun. So, was I proud or somehow elevated when it arrived in the mail? Well, I paid the fees, attended the course, purchased the right gear and practiced. It was a sense of achievement, so yes. However, the novelty has passed and now this whole gun thing' is more about being a hobby than laying in wait for that ‘Captain America’ moment. I’ll leave that stuff for some hero in our midst.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

In that situation, I wouldn't play show and tell with my CHP to someone I met on the job. I do see the other side of it though with friends and family. There are a lot of people that don't grasp how many people actually do carry and the fact that we are normal. In some respects I think it helps society on a whole to be more accepting of firearms and concealed carry when people can relate that "normal" people can responsibly carry a firearm. Do I go around advertising it to just anyone? Hell No!

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Maye he thought that you guys were buddies because you were talking guns together or something. Not sure, but my answer of course is no.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

One very close co-worker who is into guns big asked to see mine and I showed it to him, he'd never seen one before. I trust him. Outside of some of my close family, he's the only one. He want his own soon.

To be clear we weren't "talking guns" as a part of training for that site we were going over the site firearms policy (quoted verbatim in the OP). I pointed out that the policy didn't forbid non employee CC. The site lead mentioned a story about a person that was OCing on another site who asked her to secure the weapon and I pointed out that was W/in the duties of THAT site & that's when dude whipped it out.

His attitude (IMO) was very much " Check me out I get to carry a gun".

FWIW I got a look at his permit and it was old enough that the novelty should have worn off.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links