Why would anyone do this?

This is a discussion on Why would anyone do this? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only time I freely show my permit is if LEO's are present and I am carrying. My wife had a accident and 2 State ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why would anyone do this?

The only time I freely show my permit is if LEO's are present and I am carrying. My wife had a accident and 2 State Troopers showed up, well was going to go to the shooting range and was carrying. Both took a look and were ok. Otherwise I donít go around advertising that I have a permit to carry wherever I am. I really enjoy the element of surprise and avoid anything that may result in extra attention. If there is a conversation where someone is looking at obtaining their permit I will encourage them and if they want to see it I will share.
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I was stuck in line at a midwest airport last week when someone breached security and we all had to wait outside the scanning area. I struck up a conversation with the guy in front of me about security related issues. Ultimately, we got around to talking about cc, and I ended up showing him my CHP while keeping my thumb over my name/address. He just saw the title across the top. We talked some more about daily carry and traveling with a ccw. When we parted, he said he was going to take the class as soon as possible. I also told him he could learn a lot here at DC.

Are you saying I did wrong?

I have talked about CCW with many of my co-workers, but never have said outright if I had CC permit or not, nor did I ask if they had one. Based on the conversations I would guess he did (and I am sure he assumed I did too).
    But I would never show/tell my permit except for family.
    Molon Labe

i tape my permit to my forehead
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

I show it to people I trust and they ask. For example, I got pulled over and I showed it to the officer. After he let me go, my friend sitting next to me asked if he could see it, stating that he has never seen one before. A few weeks later, he applied.

I dont see a problem showing your permit to anyone, whats the worst that could happen. He takes off running with it? Maybe he rips it up? I have copies, it dont have personal information on it that could damage me. And in some cases showing your friends or family after open communication on CCW might inspire them to get their permit.

No big deal, dont be that paranoid!

he might have just got it and wanted you to know you were safe around him, if something "went down" ....lol

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    I wish I thought of that before I used the staple gun.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

My drivers license and 2 permits are all next to each other in my wallet. I had to show my DL at one point and accidentally pulled out the CC License. They look the same except for CONCEAL CARRY across the top. I said, "oh, wrong one" and put it back in my wallet and pulled my DL.

The woman "demanded " I pull that back out and show her what it was. I told I had given her my DL and that's all she needed. She continued to PUSH and DEMAND to see it immediately. My answer was "it's absolutely NONE of your business what I have in my wallet .... anymore than my pilots license and any other 'license' I had in my wallet."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    My drivers license and 2 permits are all next to each other in my wallet. I had to show my DL at one point and accidentally pulled out the CC License. They look the same except for CONCEAL CARRY across the top. I said, "oh, wrong one" and put it back in my wallet and pulled my DL.

The woman "demanded " I pull that back out and show her what it was. I told I had given her my DL and that's all she needed. She continued to PUSH and DEMAND to see it immediately. My answer was "it's absolutely NONE of your business what I have in my wallet .... anymore than my pilots license and any other 'license' I had in my wallet."
    She probably wanted to call the LEO's on you saying that you had a fake and were armed. Funny how ignorant people are so pushy!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Only family and friends even know I have one. And some of them don't even know. Why would I want to go around showing it off? Not that I'm really trying to hide it but I figure what's the purpose of "showing it off"?
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Stepping back to the OP, it might be possible that your instructor was giving you a subtle hint about how to go about carrying at this particular site (and other sites) without actually saying "But you can carry if you have a CCW permit as you are not technically State employees" skirting that no weapons policy your employer might have.

Or he might be showing off.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Originally posted by Sticks Stepping back to the OP, it might be possible that your instructor was giving you a subtle hint about how to go about carrying at this particular site (and other sites) without actually saying "But you can carry if you have a CCW permit as you are not technically State employees" skirting that no weapons policy your employer might have.
    It is illegal for any contract security guard to carry a concealed firearm on duty regardless of permit status or armed guard certification and against company policy to Openly carry a firearm on a non armed site.

Depends on the situation to me. A random stranger with no reason, no. But, if it's someone I know, or if it's a stranger and we're on the subject of guns, if he asks, sure. As long as I get a good vibe from them. A person should be able to tell if someone is too " shady " to be shown, or not.

No I don't hand it to or show it to strangers. That's just dumb.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links