Why would anyone do this? - Page 4

Why would anyone do this?

This is a discussion on Why would anyone do this? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I might be in a little different position than allot of you but quite a few guys know I carry every single day. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why would anyone do this?

I guess I might be in a little different position than allot of you but quite a few guys know I carry every single day. The main reason though is that I manage to talk to guys about how they should carry in my own holsters. If I run into you at a gun show chances are we're going to talk about the position and way I carry my holster. Same goes for my father who actually does more of the shows than I do because I'm traveling most of the year. I don't open carry and I don't wear a CCW/CPL badge nor my permit on my forehead but I do end up in more conversations about concealed carry than average guys I would imagine;)

On the other hand it's given me the opportunity to share information on carry with people who didn't either think it was possible to carry with their clothing choices or didn't realize that it was a legal possibility. I also mentioned that my wife and I travel, we spend more than half the year on the road in the motorhome, and spend a fair number of nights in either truck stops or road side pull offs and other areas that I'm really happy to be able to defend myself. Allot of the people I talk to on a daily basis are RV'ers and quite a few of them also carry or are interested in carry for the same reasons.

Either way depends on your circumstances on whether or not his behavior is odd, I will say him touching you is odd at least for me. I don't take well to people other than my wife putting their hands on me, just irks me for some reason.

Luke

In re-reading my post it sounds like I go around yelling from the rooftops but really it just comes up at least a few times a day in conversation about what I do. I don't however volunteer the information to just anyone I run into in person unless we get into a conversation that leads down that path, then I just try to be as informative as possible.

As far as showing off my license to carry, my immediate family and a few friends know. I still live with my parents for the time being, so they both know and my dad is planning on getting his license as soon as he has the spare funds.

I have a friend who is married with a baby who knows I carry. I just took him to the range this weekend to help him pick out a gun they can keep at home that she can shoot. We found him one and he took her later that day to have her shoot it and they purchased it. He's going to be getting his license soon.

I have another friend whose apartment I regularly visit, I only thought it was fair he know that I carry. His girlfriend also knows since she and one of her friends are considering getting licenses and they talked to me about it some.

The point is, I only actively disclose that I carry to people who I feel need/deserve to know. However I suspect there are a lot of people who are acquainted with me who know even though I haven't told. Most people who have known me for any length of time know I'm very vocal on gun politics and CC-related issues. In my opinion, if they know, oh well. I'm 21, it's well-known amongst people who know me that I own firearms and I'm vocal in CC politics; I'm sure people can put 2 and 2 together, and I'm not terribly worried about that.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I have another friend whose apartment I regularly visit, I only thought it was fair he know that I carry. .
    I find this an extremely interesting statement. Not negative, not positive, just interesting.

Why?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

He's a very good friend of mine and as of late we've been doing a weekly movie night with friends. I'm not expecting anyone to agree with me, but I felt it was fair to him that he know, just in case it should ever become apparent - through one means or another - that I am carrying.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I think some people think that it carries with it a sort of entitlement? Or 'non-sheepiness?'
    Yup, it goes with my cape and tights.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

The only people that see mine besides my wife are members of the law enforcement community in pursuance of their duties.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I went through the process so I could carry concealed. If I show the permit, I'm not carrying concealed anymore. I would worry about showing one of my good but clueless friends, then going to a fast food joint that just happens to be robbed while we are there. It could get hairy if he blurted out "Shoot him, Bear! You've got a gun!" No, I wouldn't show a stranger.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links