Why would anyone do this?

This is a discussion on Why would anyone do this? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at my security job for training at a new site today and one of the topics covered was the site firearms policy. The ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why would anyone do this?

Why would anyone do this?

I was at my security job for training at a new site today and one of the topics covered was the site firearms policy.

The policy is very simple, OC is prohibited in City owned or leased buildings (it has to be posted though). City employees are not allowed to have a firearm on them regardless of permit status as a condition of their employment. The policy is not to be construed as prohibiting an employee from keeping a firearm in their POV.

So my trainer and I got to discussing the policy and how it applied and for some reason he whipped out his CHP to show it to me.

Now to me that's just dumb. You don't know me, you don't know anything about me why in THEE HELL would you hand me your permit?

Does anyone here just hand their permit to random strangers?

2. Remove Ads

No.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

What's the beef? Were you going to photocopy it or maybe tear it up? I show my permit to anyone who want to see what one looks like. I also show them my Drivers License because it has pretty pictures on it. Apparently he felt safe enough to let you see it, so somewhere at some level, he trusted you a little. Did he err in judgment? Are you untrustworthy?
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

I think some people think that it carries with it a sort of entitlement? Or 'non-sheepiness?'

Or maybe he was just looking to solidify some common ground with you?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I dont just whip it out to show random strangers. but I dont hesitate to show a coworker or friend who wants to see it.

I dont see what the problem is.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Does anyone here just hand their permit to random strangers?
    No.

What's the beef?
    I don't think I expressed it clearly. It was more like he was showing off the permit. IMO it's not wise to disclose my status to random strangers.

I told a friend once and while we were having a discussion in church one Sunday he turned around to a mutual friend that I'd rather didn't know I was carrying and said "Treo's carrying a gun right now!!!"

I think that may have colored my POV I don't tell you unless you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I don't think I expressed it clearly. It was more like he was showing off the permit. IMO it's not wise to disclose my status to random strangers.

I told a friend once and while we were having a discussion in church one Sunday he turned around to a mutual friend that I'd rather didn't know I was carrying and said "Treo's carrying a gun right now!!!"

I think that may have colored my POV I don't tell you unless you need to know.

If it's a stranger, no way. It has my contact info on it, like address.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

My wife knows, we took the class together, nobody else. If you are in my company, and you see my gun, get down, cause I'm shortly going to be firing.

Nobodys buisness but mine. So no, I dont show anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    I dont just whip it out to show random strangers. but I dont hesitate to show a coworker or friend who wants to see it.

I dont see what the problem is.
    Me either...

Actually, since talking about CCW at our school, over a dozen teachers have not received their permits...two more this past weekend.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Never, with a few very narrow exceptions.

Do you consider your "Trainer" to be a "random stranger"? Or do you think your trainer considers you to be a "random stranger"?
    May you be in heaven 30 minutes, before the devil knows your dead!

NRA member

There's a second chapter to this story while the guy was giving me a tour of the facility he managed to frisk me for weapons and make it look like an accident.

I tend to be hypervigilant anyway so when this guy got into my bubble I caught on very quickly. I didn't say anything because he had all kinds of plausable deniability but I know when I'm being frisked.

Also this guy was the supervisor of this facility but he's a stranger to me. I work for this company part time as a fill in so they move me around from site to site as people are needed.

Total Strangers - NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....Otherwise I make the determination if and when I show my permit. IMO, not something to flaunt. My choice in gaining the permit is a personal choice and not really open to discussion with anyone other than my immediate family, unless I choose to discuss it. Friends and even strangers may know I enjoy shooting, but that is about the extent. They can form any other opinions from there if they so choose. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Mic
    no, I dont show anybody
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links