Sig 229 Accidental Discharge Question - Page 2

Sig 229 Accidental Discharge Question

This is a discussion on Sig 229 Accidental Discharge Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Psycho Im going to be taking my CCW class this weekend. The weapon i plan on using for concealed carry will be ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sig 229 Accidental Discharge Question

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
    Im going to be taking my CCW class this weekend. The weapon i plan on using for concealed carry will be my Sig 229. Knowing that there is no safety on my weapon, i am curious if anyone knows of this weapon having any negligent discharges? Such as having the weapon holstered and turning and hitting a wall, or something of the sort? Basically i just want some truthful confirmation (or lack there of) that the weapon im going to use for concealed carry is safe to do so? Thanks in advance for your advice and time!
    A Sig P229 has a mechanical firing pin lock that will not allow the firing pin to move forward from a decocked state. If the pistol is in normal working order, the firing pin will not engage unless the trigger is pulled. I've never heard of a 220 / 226 / 228 / 229 firing on its own. All ND's I've heard about were, in fact, operator error, as others have pointed out (e.g., trying to decock manually by holding the hammer with the thumb while pulling the trigger).

Never attempt to decock your Sig 229 manually. Always use the decocking lever. It's easier and much safer. However, don't worry about your pistol going off spontaneously. If it goes off, it will be because the trigger was pulled. I've been carrying a Sig P226 (big brother of the 229) for many years without a single problem. The Virginia State Police have been carrying P229's in 357SIG without a problem. The Richmond Police have been carrying a variety of Sigs in 357SIG without a problem. Don't worry about your pistol. Focus on your skills and the pistol will do its part.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

negligence is in the operator, not the machine. Remember decock in a safe direction, reholster with finger outside the trigger guard and thumb against the hammer. You'll be fine.

Well thanks all for the words of wisdom! This being said makes me feel more confident about my weapon.
    Chris

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed herein are the views of MYSELF and should not be taken as the views of the agency for whom I work for!

I carry a P220 Carry, almost the same gun as the 229 but in 45. It is my every day carry. I have bumped it many times even had the thing fall to the floor in the holster. I carry with a round in the chamber. I have never had it go off nor do I feel that it ever would. As long as you use a QUALITY holster that covers the trigger. I feel that you will be just fine. As Tom357 stated it is a safe pistol to carry. Good luck and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
    The weapon i plan on using for concealed carry will be my Sig 229. Knowing that there is no safety on my weapon, i am curious if anyone knows of this weapon having any negligent discharges?
    I'm a revolver guy...no experience with autoloaders. But just from the comments so far, it DOES seem to me that it IS critically important to decock the gun before reholstering. Once decocked, it should be as safe as a double-action revolver. But when cocked, it's like a 1911 cocked and NOT LOCKED...I wouldn't want to reholser either one of them!

MIke Fontenot

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Like you've heard, Sig makes excellent quality firearms. Decock and carry with confidence. Likewise, there is really no such thing as an "accident" in discharging a firearm. There is negligence involved every time a firearm discharges without the carrier meaning it to.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

There are actually four safeties on a the P series Sig; the decocker (so you don't pull the trigger to lower the hammer after you chamber a round, you press the decocking lever);

the firing pin safety (it blocks the movement of the firing pin until the trigger is pulled);

the intercept notch - you can see the hammer is not in contact with the end of the firing pin when you have completed decocking; the hammer is sitting in an intercept notch that prevents it from touching the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled (it's a good drop-safe mechanism);

and finally the disconnecter, it prevents the pistol from firing out of battery.

So, although safeties can fail - your 229 is a well made, extremely safe firearm - just obey the safety rules and you're good to go. Nice choice of carry gun, by the way.

VIP Member
    To the best of my knowledge, NO weapon has ever had a negligent discharge on it's own. The owner may have caused a negligent discharge, or very rarely there might have been a mechanical malfunction that allowed the weapon to fire, but the odds of a mechanical malfunction are very slim.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I've carried a 228 daily for quite some time. If there's a way to bang it on a wall, the floor, or anything else, I've done it. It isn't possible for it to just decide to go off.

Note that I think this is a horrible idea, but I do have a friend that carries a 226 every day with it cocked. He hasn't had a problem yet either. Funny thing, but if you don't pull the trigger they simply will not go bang.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Buy a Glock!
    Boomer Sooner!

Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin70 View Post
    Buy a Glock!
    I wouldn't trade the Sig for a Glock. It would be okay to have both, but don't point the Glock at your chest when pulling the trigger to field strip it.

What gets most people in trouble is racking the slide then dropping the mag. That leaves one in the chamber. Then they carelessly handle what they think is an unloaded firearm. Just remember never point the firearm at anything you don't mind putting a hole in. Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to fire and be sure of what's behind your target.

VIP Member
    Don't even worry about it... you have one of the safest pistols ever made!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have been shooting a Sig 229 for years. I think it was the mid 90’s when I bought it. I haven’t had any issues.

There is one issue that should be brought up. The Sig, along with many other handguns CAN accidentally be discharged if YOU are negligent in re- holstering. In both cases that I am aware of, a State Trooper (the same Trooper in both cases), was “speed re-holstering.” Once, he wasn’t wearing a holster, he was just tucking inside the belt. The other time, he was using a one size fits none soft holster. In both NDs he had his finger on the trigger as he shoved the weapon in. He was using a Glock both times, however it would have happened with a Sig also.
    So, to sum it up, the Sig is safe, but no weapon is idiot proof.

You will be fine!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links