Defensive Carry banner

Sig 229 Accidental Discharge Question

18K views 27 replies 27 participants last post by  stevem174 
#1 · (Edited)
Im going to be taking my CCW class this weekend. The weapon i plan on using for concealed carry will be my Sig 229. Knowing that there is no safety on my weapon, i am curious if anyone knows of this weapon having any negligent discharges? Such as having the weapon holstered and turning and hitting a wall, or something of the sort? Basically i just want some truthful confirmation (or lack there of) that the weapon im going to use for concealed carry is safe to do so? Thanks in advance for your advice and time!

#3 ·
The gun will be decocked via the lever. First shot will be a long double action pull followed by single action shots. then it will be decocked before reholstering. There's no such thing as an accidental discharge. Only negligent discharge or mechanical failure. The Sig 229 as with most guns will not fire unless the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear.

#4 ·
With today's high quality weapons the odds of your gun discharging without your finger in the trigger are lower than you getting hit by lightening or dieing in a plane crash. If you don't put your finger in the trigger guard and pull it's not going to fire. Safety regulations require for guns to be drop tested onto concrete to make sure they are safe. There have been instances of guns damaging door jams and bending exposed hammers and not discharging. Sig is know for making high quality weapons and your's is no exception.

#5 ·
I never heard, nor read anything remotely close to an accidental discharge with the P229. That gun will fire only if you pull the trigger...PERIOD! Good CC weapon, but not the thinest or lightest.

#6 ·
This is a great question to ask your instructor. You should become 100% confident in how your pistol operates and what everything does. All quality modern handguns (such as your sig) have safety features to prevent firing if you drop it...

For your sig, the biggest things to watch out for are:

The four rules (treat all firearms as if they were loaded, keep finger off trigger, keep muzzle point in a safe direction, and be sure of target and what is beyond.

Also, be sure to keep your finger and clothing out of the trigger guard while holstering. If you accidentally drop the gun, let it fall to the ground- there was an example posted a few months ago where a man caught his pistol and shot himself. (think trying to catch a knife in the kitchen with your hands)

:)

#8 ·
Im going to be taking my CCW class this weekend. The weapon i plan on using for concealed carry will be my Sig 229. Knowing that there is no safety on my weapon, i am curious if anyone knows of this weapon having any negligent discharges?
Can't recall ever hearing of any especially if the 229 has been properly decocked, using the decocking lever. There have been reference to a couple NDs by people attempting to lower the hammer by hand.

#10 ·
+1

I carry a Sig229 often, it is an excellent pistol with no issues to be concerned about.

#9 ·
I am sitting here now with my P226 on my hip resting in an older Crossbreed Supertuck (with the plastic clips). It works fine. I always decock my Sig with the decocking lever after loading it and before placing it in the holster. At night, the whole unit slides off my belt and sits on the dresser. I slide it back on in the morning. A good holster should ensure your trigger is protected. If it were to fall, let it fall. You should be OK. I feel safe with mine.

#11 ·
As mentioned earlier keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready and determined to fire and you'll be fine. The Sig is as safe as any modern revolver. The great majority of so called accidental discharges are from someone having their finger on the trigger when it should not be. This is what has become to be called an unintentional discharge, you did not intent for it to fire but were messing with it. I wish we carried Sigs instead of the Beretta at work. But then again I wish we carried a 40 or 45 instead of a 9MM. Again just remember to keep your finger off the trigger until you are determined to fire. One more thing to remember, speed is fine but accuracy is final. All the speed in the world won't help you if you don't hit the target. Train to combine the two into an effective combination, accurate enough to make a solid hit while doing it at a speed that you can control safely.

#12 ·
The Sig P series (in "traditional" DA) is used by NUMEROUS police and military agencies. If there were any inherent flaws in the safety of the pistol, they would have come to light long ago.

As everyone else has said: the pistol will not fire unless you pull the trigger. Period.

#13 · (Edited)
No...there is a firing pin block safety that prevents the firing pin from contacting the primer....unless the trigger is pulled (disengaging the firing pin safety)...

It is a very safe weapon to carry....

#16 ·
A Sig P229 has a mechanical firing pin lock that will not allow the firing pin to move forward from a decocked state. If the pistol is in normal working order, the firing pin will not engage unless the trigger is pulled. I've never heard of a 220 / 226 / 228 / 229 firing on its own. All ND's I've heard about were, in fact, operator error, as others have pointed out (e.g., trying to decock manually by holding the hammer with the thumb while pulling the trigger).

Never attempt to decock your Sig 229 manually. Always use the decocking lever. It's easier and much safer. However, don't worry about your pistol going off spontaneously. If it goes off, it will be because the trigger was pulled. I've been carrying a Sig P226 (big brother of the 229) for many years without a single problem. The Virginia State Police have been carrying P229's in 357SIG without a problem. The Richmond Police have been carrying a variety of Sigs in 357SIG without a problem. Don't worry about your pistol. Focus on your skills and the pistol will do its part.

#18 ·
Well thanks all for the words of wisdom! This being said makes me feel more confident about my weapon.

#19 ·
I carry a P220 Carry, almost the same gun as the 229 but in 45. It is my every day carry. I have bumped it many times even had the thing fall to the floor in the holster. I carry with a round in the chamber. I have never had it go off nor do I feel that it ever would. As long as you use a QUALITY holster that covers the trigger. I feel that you will be just fine. As Tom357 stated it is a safe pistol to carry. Good luck and be safe.

#20 ·
The weapon i plan on using for concealed carry will be my Sig 229. Knowing that there is no safety on my weapon, i am curious if anyone knows of this weapon having any negligent discharges?
I'm a revolver guy...no experience with autoloaders. But just from the comments so far, it DOES seem to me that it IS critically important to decock the gun before reholstering. Once decocked, it should be as safe as a double-action revolver. But when cocked, it's like a 1911 cocked and NOT LOCKED...I wouldn't want to reholser either one of them!

MIke Fontenot

#21 ·
Like you've heard, Sig makes excellent quality firearms. Decock and carry with confidence. Likewise, there is really no such thing as an "accident" in discharging a firearm. There is negligence involved every time a firearm discharges without the carrier meaning it to.

#22 ·
There are actually four safeties on a the P series Sig; the decocker (so you don't pull the trigger to lower the hammer after you chamber a round, you press the decocking lever);

the firing pin safety (it blocks the movement of the firing pin until the trigger is pulled);

the intercept notch - you can see the hammer is not in contact with the end of the firing pin when you have completed decocking; the hammer is sitting in an intercept notch that prevents it from touching the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled (it's a good drop-safe mechanism);

and finally the disconnecter, it prevents the pistol from firing out of battery.

So, although safeties can fail - your 229 is a well made, extremely safe firearm - just obey the safety rules and you're good to go. Nice choice of carry gun, by the way.

#23 ·
To the best of my knowledge, NO weapon has ever had a negligent discharge on it's own. The owner may have caused a negligent discharge, or very rarely there might have been a mechanical malfunction that allowed the weapon to fire, but the odds of a mechanical malfunction are very slim.

#24 ·
I've carried a 228 daily for quite some time. If there's a way to bang it on a wall, the floor, or anything else, I've done it. It isn't possible for it to just decide to go off.

Note that I think this is a horrible idea, but I do have a friend that carries a 226 every day with it cocked. He hasn't had a problem yet either. Funny thing, but if you don't pull the trigger they simply will not go bang.

#26 ·
I wouldn't trade the Sig for a Glock. It would be okay to have both, but don't point the Glock at your chest when pulling the trigger to field strip it.

What gets most people in trouble is racking the slide then dropping the mag. That leaves one in the chamber. Then they carelessly handle what they think is an unloaded firearm. Just remember never point the firearm at anything you don't mind putting a hole in. Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to fire and be sure of what's behind your target.

#27 ·
Don't even worry about it... you have one of the safest pistols ever made! :wink:

#28 ·
I have been shooting a Sig 229 for years. I think it was the mid 90’s when I bought it. I haven’t had any issues.

There is one issue that should be brought up. The Sig, along with many other handguns CAN accidentally be discharged if YOU are negligent in re- holstering. In both cases that I am aware of, a State Trooper (the same Trooper in both cases), was “speed re-holstering.” Once, he wasn’t wearing a holster, he was just tucking inside the belt. The other time, he was using a one size fits none soft holster. In both NDs he had his finger on the trigger as he shoved the weapon in. He was using a Glock both times, however it would have happened with a Sig also.
So, to sum it up, the Sig is safe, but no weapon is idiot proof.

You will be fine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.