Sig 229 Accidental Discharge Question

This is a discussion on Sig 229 Accidental Discharge Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im going to be taking my CCW class this weekend. The weapon i plan on using for concealed carry will be my Sig 229. Knowing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 229 Accidental Discharge Question

Question Sig 229 Accidental Discharge Question

Im going to be taking my CCW class this weekend. The weapon i plan on using for concealed carry will be my Sig 229. Knowing that there is no safety on my weapon, i am curious if anyone knows of this weapon having any negligent discharges? Such as having the weapon holstered and turning and hitting a wall, or something of the sort? Basically i just want some truthful confirmation (or lack there of) that the weapon im going to use for concealed carry is safe to do so? Thanks in advance for your advice and time!
    Last edited by Psycho; February 12th, 2010 at 02:49 AM.
    Chris

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed herein are the views of MYSELF and should not be taken as the views of the agency for whom I work for!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Never heard of one.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The gun will be decocked via the lever. First shot will be a long double action pull followed by single action shots. then it will be decocked before reholstering. There's no such thing as an accidental discharge. Only negligent discharge or mechanical failure. The Sig 229 as with most guns will not fire unless the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear.

With today's high quality weapons the odds of your gun discharging without your finger in the trigger are lower than you getting hit by lightening or dieing in a plane crash. If you don't put your finger in the trigger guard and pull it's not going to fire. Safety regulations require for guns to be drop tested onto concrete to make sure they are safe. There have been instances of guns damaging door jams and bending exposed hammers and not discharging. Sig is know for making high quality weapons and your's is no exception.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

I never heard, nor read anything remotely close to an accidental discharge with the P229. That gun will fire only if you pull the trigger...PERIOD! Good CC weapon, but not the thinest or lightest.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    This is a great question to ask your instructor. You should become 100% confident in how your pistol operates and what everything does. All quality modern handguns (such as your sig) have safety features to prevent firing if you drop it...

For your sig, the biggest things to watch out for are:

The four rules (treat all firearms as if they were loaded, keep finger off trigger, keep muzzle point in a safe direction, and be sure of target and what is beyond.

Also, be sure to keep your finger and clothing out of the trigger guard while holstering. If you accidentally drop the gun, let it fall to the ground- there was an example posted a few months ago where a man caught his pistol and shot himself. (think trying to catch a knife in the kitchen with your hands)

:)
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

The 229 is an excellent pistol. Always de-cock after firing, then the gun has a long DA pull this is like a revolver(with no external safety). When re-holstering put your thumb over the hammer.

My 229 is a great gun !
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
    Im going to be taking my CCW class this weekend. The weapon i plan on using for concealed carry will be my Sig 229. Knowing that there is no safety on my weapon, i am curious if anyone knows of this weapon having any negligent discharges?
    Can't recall ever hearing of any especially if the 229 has been properly decocked, using the decocking lever. There have been reference to a couple NDs by people attempting to lower the hammer by hand.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I am sitting here now with my P226 on my hip resting in an older Crossbreed Supertuck (with the plastic clips). It works fine. I always decock my Sig with the decocking lever after loading it and before placing it in the holster. At night, the whole unit slides off my belt and sits on the dresser. I slide it back on in the morning. A good holster should ensure your trigger is protected. If it were to fall, let it fall. You should be OK. I feel safe with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Can't recall ever hearing of any especially if the 229 has been properly decocked, using the decocking lever. There have been reference to a couple NDs by people attempting to lower the hammer by hand.
    +1

I carry a Sig229 often, it is an excellent pistol with no issues to be concerned about.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    As mentioned earlier keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready and determined to fire and you'll be fine. The Sig is as safe as any modern revolver. The great majority of so called accidental discharges are from someone having their finger on the trigger when it should not be. This is what has become to be called an unintentional discharge, you did not intent for it to fire but were messing with it. I wish we carried Sigs instead of the Beretta at work. But then again I wish we carried a 40 or 45 instead of a 9MM. Again just remember to keep your finger off the trigger until you are determined to fire. One more thing to remember, speed is fine but accuracy is final. All the speed in the world won't help you if you don't hit the target. Train to combine the two into an effective combination, accurate enough to make a solid hit while doing it at a speed that you can control safely.

VIP Member
    The Sig P series (in "traditional" DA) is used by NUMEROUS police and military agencies. If there were any inherent flaws in the safety of the pistol, they would have come to light long ago.

As everyone else has said: the pistol will not fire unless you pull the trigger. Period.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

No...there is a firing pin block safety that prevents the firing pin from contacting the primer....unless the trigger is pulled (disengaging the firing pin safety)...

It is a very safe weapon to carry....
    Last edited by SIGguy229; February 12th, 2010 at 06:32 PM.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I taught my Sig not to hang out with any guns that have bad reputations for just going off
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Your sig can ONLY go bang if the trigger is pulled. Long as you keep your booger hook off the bangswitch, you'll be fine. Never heard of it catching on stuff.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links