Bill To Allow Concealed Carry Without Permit Passes House(merged) - Page 2

Bill To Allow Concealed Carry Without Permit Passes House(merged)

This is a discussion on Bill To Allow Concealed Carry Without Permit Passes House(merged) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Carry4MyFam Nation wide we need to stand as one and make our voice heard, loud and clear. As a whole; our country ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill To Allow Concealed Carry Without Permit Passes House(merged)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carry4MyFam View Post
    Nation wide we need to stand as one and make our voice heard, loud and clear. As a whole; our country and elected leaders need to understand that our Bill of Rights states that we the people have the right to keep and bear arms and no piece of paper in the form of a state permit or otherwise should be required in addition. This needs to be our way forward,.....our way back! Me!
    ^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^

But its all about control.
    What disturbs me is the fact that when THEY decree it's alright for you to do something, they can always take it back

'Because that's all the ammunition we had.'
    Polk Co. Fla. Sheriff Grady Judd
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    The bill is for CC WITHOUT A PERMIT..so no background checks. There are already federal laws that prevent(ahem) felons from touching a gun.

Bad guys are already carrying concealed without a license...so what's the problem. This is just levelng the playing field.
    I know that, I guess my point is being missed here. In order to get a CCP, you under go another check, a 2nd layer defense against a gun nut getting one and the antis saying see if they were check that 2nd time, they might have caught this nut if one should get it, in other words, is going through a another check for a CCP in order to ensure everything is cool really that tough for some?
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Do you actually believe that being unable to pass a background check keeps a criminal from acquiring a firearm?

The point of removing this layer is that it's nearly utterly ineffective. Yes, it keeps Johnny Criminal from getting his gun at the local gun shop at 2pm. But he simply heads down to the local grey market source and by 4pm gets one anyway. That already happens today. Since that's true, how does placing hurdles in front of upstanding people keep criminals from obtaining firearms?

Now, I'm all for making the attempt, such as when I'm selling FTF. Makes me feel better, at least. But it's not as though it really accomplishes much, in the end.
    Once again my friends, read what I am putting down, I never mentioned criminals, I'm not talking about criminals, they are not mentioned.

I'm saying have a 2nd layer of protection for anything is never a bad idea, if it was, our military would not do it, our nuclear power plants would not do it.

I'm just saying, is it that bad of a thing.

Don't get me wrong here. I would love for Texas to go with a no CCP class and such, but then that means my fruit loop neighbor who has never been in trouble with the law but could not pass a freakin handgun course period written or shooting would be allowed to pack a weapon and God help us all.

I'm sorry folks, I know that you honestly believe this would level the playing field, but allowing anyone and everyone to carry without at least some sort of class or competency shooting course is ridiculous in my view and just begging for trouble.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I'm sorry folks, I know that you honestly believe this would level the playing field, but allowing anyone and everyone to carry without at least some sort of class or competency shooting course is ridiculous in my view and just begging for trouble.
    Open carry laws allow anyone and everyone to carry with no comptency course or qualification. Permit-free conealed carry in VT, where it's been that way forever, and AK, where they made the switch a few years ago, have not resulted in any increase in gun related problems.

Like every law that allows citizens to carry, concealed or openly, this one benefits the law abiding.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    Open carry laws allow anyone and everyone to carry with no comptency course or qualification. Permit-free conealed carry in VT, where it's been that way forever, and AK, where they made the switch a few years ago, have not resulted in any increase in gun related problems.

Like every law that allows citizens to carry, concealed or openly, this one benefits the law abiding.
    Like every law that allows citizens to carry, concealed or openly, this one benefits the law abiding.[/QUOTE]

Understand, but let's compare the size population wise of their biggest city with the average medium size city of most states south.

Burlington Vermont - 38,000+ Wichita Falls TX 107,000

Anchorage Alaska - 230,000+ Arlington TX 500,000+

Let's not even compare State populations with large cities and folks allowed to CC carry without a permit.

I understand Open Carry, but actually if you compare Open Carry folks to the General Population, it's a small fraction of the population.

Cool

wc, and the mentally disturbed.

If you are a Montana resident and you decide to travel, will you be able to carry in other states? Reciprocity is based on the states involved having a screening process and issuing permits. Just curious.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I'm saying have a 2nd layer of protection for anything is never a bad idea
    I tend to believe that a 2nd layer of "protection" (or even a first) that prevents people from exercising their constitutionally protected rights is a bad thing...but hey, that's just me.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Once again my friends, read what I am putting down, I never mentioned criminals, I'm not talking about criminals, they are not mentioned.
    I did. You did, as well, since "gun nut" and the folks we're attempting to keep from acquiring firearms are, by any other name, criminals. They are the target of such statutes, and they are who we're speaking of, whom we'd prefer to not acquire firearms. (Unless we're all missing something, unless you're actually speaking of upstanding people who shouldn't be acquiring firearms.)

I'm saying have a 2nd layer of protection for anything is never a bad idea, if it was, our military would not do it, our nuclear power plants would not do it.
    But military bases have ammo dumps, tanks and other sensitive items. Nuclear plants have access to the grid, and the potential for catastrophic leaks a la the "China Syndrome." John Q. Public merely has his life on the line. On the grand scale of things, that's not really in the same category.

I'm all for having second or third layers. But additional layers aren't always good. They aren't, not when they're superfluous and ineffectual. And I think it's hard to support the idea that background checks actually achieve the goal they're ostensibly designed to achieve. Thus, if they don't really work, why have the beautiful second layer they represent?

I'm just saying, is it that bad of a thing.
    It's superfluous. And it, along with registration laws, go a heck of a long way toward setting the preliminaries ahead of a general confiscation, in future. It doesn't really work, and it's got a huge potential downside. Seems enough to me to jettison it.

I would love for Texas to go with a no CCP class and such, but then that means my fruit loop neighbor who has never been in trouble with the law but could not pass a freakin handgun course period written or shooting would be allowed to pack a weapon and God help us all.
    Whether he's allowed or not hardly keeps him from doing so, if he so chooses. That's the point.

And, the mere fact a person's going to get strung by the toes until dead (or at least very old) should provide plenty of incentive to dissuade non-criminals from daring to wield arms they are patently incapable of firing without killing themselves and others. VT and AK should be shining examples of how little blood is likely to spill via such a change.

I'm sorry folks, I know that you honestly believe this would level the playing field ...
    Am not interested in "leveling" any field. I'm just saying that a superfluous statute that has little hope of keeping firearms from those who really shouldn't have them doesn't have much purpose being on the books.

... but allowing anyone and everyone to carry without at least some sort of class or competency shooting course is ridiculous in my view and just begging for trouble.
    Those who want to acquire guns do so. Only upstanding people jump through all the hoops. And those same people will tend to see the clear threat of being utterly incompetent in the eyes of the law when daring to claim they knew what they were doing when firing against a person.

Seems to me a simple pamphlet could be issued with every firearms purchase, as an incentive and a reminder of the penalties involved for irresponsibly wielding the tool. But it seems a bit strange to expect the requirements to change much in the way of the average person's knowledge of or access to firearms, or the related use-of-force and self-defense statutes.

Again, if it were such a bad thing, why didn't VT and AK implode? Population density doesn't explain it. It's more a matter of latitude, as in: give the people the latitude to belly up to the responsibility, and they will. The criminals won't, and by that difference they shall be known.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    I tend to believe that a 2nd layer of "protection" (or even a first) that prevents people from exercising their constitutionally protected rights is a bad thing...but hey, that's just me.
    Not as bad as a shooting galary with your family being out there in the middle of it or my family with people unqualified now carrying a weapon that they might not have before due to taking a simple test written or live fire. I know quite a few who put off getting their CCPs here in Texas due to just that reason and I thank God for that.

Don't get me wrong here folks. I think this is a great idea, in theory it's great, in reality, in my view and we all have our own views here and though I may try and change a view, that's all I can do is try if I don't oh well, no harm in trying.

We had a thread on here recently about a guy in a bar with a gun shooting a blackberry (a 32) of course it didn't go through, he had a CCP.

Now take that and multiply that one individual by Millions, not just thousands, but millions and with common sense disappearing at a rapid rate in this country and take away the CCP, well I don't need an imagination for this one. This is jmho.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    I wish Texas would do the same thing.
    Same here. I still find it funny that in the couple of states that made cowboys famous (and gunslingers) that we can't carry openly if we chose to and that we are "forced" to get a CHL.

Then again, maybe our history is why those restrictions were imposed, as wrong as I think they are.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Not as bad as a shooting galary with your family being out there in the middle of it or my family with people unqualified now carrying a weapon that they might not have before due to taking a simple test written or live fire. I know quite a few who put off getting their CCPs here in Texas due to just that reason and I thank God for that.
    There is no required test in Indiana where I live and no such thing has happened. Please form an opinion based on facts and not just emotional dribble. Please cite some eveidence of where things have turned into a shooting gallery in states that don't have tests. I'll wait as long as it takes. You can look on the internet to find all of the requirements for each state CCW permit...then you can point to which states have turned into "shooting galleries" as a result.

amazing.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

A gun is used over 2 million times per year by good people to stop violent crime, the vast majority of the time without shots ever being fired. People who already aren't enthused about firearms and have a desire to carry and be good at it aren't even going to know about this legislation. And yes, as much as you may not like it, your looney neighbor who doesn't know about guns has the right to protect himself and his family against violent crime as much as you. If you don't like it, call your senator and ask him to propose an amendment to the constitution refuting the second amendment. Whats wrong here is that after I have taken the class and payed the fee and filed the paperwork, I still have to play the waiting game before I am allowed to exercise my right and protect myself and my family out in public. If violent crime finds me before the 60 day wait is over...too bad for me.

No shooting test required in Utah either.

Guardian, I wouldn't worry about liberal gun haters getting a hold of this legislation, I would worry about them getting a hold of your exact argument and using it....

Bad idea! However, we assume that most local Wyoming folks have been brought up with guns in the wide open spaces. But, we can also foresee some bad sad sensational stories caused by people who just get or buy guns and then start carrying them all around town. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Our CCW classes emphasized the responsibilities and potential legal and civil consequences of CCW and making mistakes. No problem for anyone to have guns in the home, as long as they were not criminals and are reasonably sane and well behaved. Drunks with guns having fun in bars and cars? Who's the best in the old west?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links