How much of a bulge is acceptable?

This is a discussion on How much of a bulge is acceptable? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 90% of the sheeple are not paying any attention anyways. Remember in this day and age it is not about you it is about them. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much of a bulge is acceptable?

90% of the sheeple are not paying any attention anyways. Remember in this day and age it is not about you it is about them. Especially here in Kalifornia. It is the "ME" state. They are not worried about you or what that bump in your shirt is. The only thing you need to worry about is your shirt getting caught on something and hiking up above the gun and the butt printing real good from the side. I have been walking around with a P85 that was like carrying a cinderblock on your side and nobody has made me yet. Now I have a g27 and all is well.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

2. Remove Ads

to bulge or not to bulge, that is the question. try to keep it to the bulge as small a you can. sometimes it is hard to dress and carry your gun. that why you need more than one gun. build your dress around your gun. go and buy new pants, shirts, etc... to fit around your gun.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I carry a HK USP compact or full size. The trick is to move the gun back a little from the 3:00 o'clock or 9:00 o'clock position . Try carrying at 8:00 o'clock. This allows the grip to fall back along the natural line of your back above your kidney, and the grip won't stick out like it does at 9:00 o'clock. You can easily get to the grip for a draw with this location.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    What matters MOST to us here???Someone thinking that they might see something on our waist or in our pocket...OR...comfort of carry and speed and accuracy of presentation ??? For me it's the latter >>>period ! -------
    Last edited by RSSZ; May 22nd, 2006 at 12:02 PM.

erh
    darkvibe - Your subject line sent me in the wrong direction for a moment too..! But to an answer; I would suggest an IWB as opposed to an OWB. They DO conceal a bit better in MOST cases, regardless of your "MR. Atlas" or your "MR. Pear" physique..!
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

I carry a Glock 19 IWB (Sparks Summer Special II) at about 4:00 (just behind the hip point) and have no issues, even under just a T-shirt. I actually have a harder time concealing my fixed-blades than I do my handgun...

What type of belt are you using? Regardless of whether you carry IWB or OWB, you NEED to be using a good-quality gunbelt (not the $10 wal-mart work belt). A good belt will support the weight of the handgun and help keep the holster "sucked-in" close to your body, a cheap belt will allow the weapon to sag.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

P85, it's great that OWB works for you.

The fact is, however, that you can't get an OWB holster closer to your body (and hence more concealable) than IWB--the thickness of holster, belt and trousers is eliminated when you compare IWB to OWB, and that ain't zilch!

Also in a friendly manner I share, fact is fact, preference is preference.

Darkvibe, try pushing that holster from 9:00 to the 10:30-11:00 position. I'm 6' bout 175 so I'm not big by any means and I've found that (being a righty) using my IWB holster anywhere past 2:00 or so makes it bulgy and difficult to conceal. Pushing it more towards the front of my body makes it easier for me to access, hides the "bulge", and also gives me more security since someone cannot walk up from behind me and relieve me of it.

Here are pics with just a light t-shirt on. Forgive my hairy belly!

The handgun is an SA XD9 Service.
    Attached Images
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Assistant Administrator
    Jimmy - let me be pedantic LOL! And - not really disagreeing per se - just bringing up some points re OWB - for me.

The combined thickness of all the ''components'' in the set-up are essentially the same - viz, front and back of rig, thickness of gun and thickness of pants. All combined make up, shall we say - 1 1/4".

Let's call this combination the total ''bulge'' factor. Now I agree, put rig and gun inside (oversized) pants and you have saved about 1/4" of that maybe from external exposure - and the effective bulge is also just less obvious by being masked by pants.

My baseline is - will my concealment garment cover my OWB, will it permit printing etc? If the answer is yes then the slightly more obvious profile of the OWB is immaterial - in particular if as in my case I am fairly broad of shoulder - thus garment hangs down providing a space.

Look at the pics below - quick pics my wife took showing how tight in it all is - admittedly too that was with a worn out tatty belt not cinched up to the full. The gun grips are there regardless - IWB or OWB and I think you'll agree pretty tight in - my only ''loss'' is that holster is external and so not itself concealed inside pants - hardly a prob if cover garment does that job.

One other small point - and I may be wrong but I feel that for me and because OWB is zero problem - I get a cleaner draw than I envisage from IWB, which I admit may hold even tighter in. It is all to suit taste and circumstance anyways so I am not trying to ''win'' a battle here - just adding points from my OWB perspective

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Kenpotex made an important point that many of us learned a long time ago and now seldom think about...

GREAT HOLSTER + BAD BELT = GARBAGE CARRY

You'll always be re-adjusting with a non support belt and that is going to be noticed

Been following this thread with interest and wondered how to 'describe' what I was thinking..... then the pictures that Chris (P95Carry) posted above show exactly what I had been thinking.

In carrying one of the Glocks I have had, or the current Kimber Ultra Carry II, I have had to use an OWB pancake style because of hip surgery and the resulting scar tissue. The type of OWB has been the biggest concern for me. I have tried quite a few and have finally narrowed it down to the kind exactly like Chris posted in his pics above.

Being slightly larger around the middle than most, if I use a OWB pancake stlye that is 'high rise' where the majority of the gun is above the belt, I find that the gun is actually pushed outwards in the area of my ever expanding 'flat tire. On the other hand, if I use an OWB pancake style where the majority of the gun is lower than the belt, the extra hip padding actually pushes the top of the gun in towards my body and that makes for much better concealment.

Chris, I have been using the Galco Fletch to accomodate what I am describing above as the majority of the gun is below the belt line, but I really like the looks of the holster you are wearing in the above photos. Could you let me know what brand and model it is ? Maybe a link to where you purchased it ?

Thanks !

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    not so much printing for me as folks bumping in to me or it that i worry about and when i sit like p95 im verry big trough the chest n shoulders but if i dont watch it if i bend to my week side ill print and if i dont watch my t shirt will stack on top of the butt of my side arm but im new to this so ill proubably find out things as i go

P95...good grief, you're right, OWB works for you...

Next, I light the hoop on fire, get ready to jump through...since I now you're poised...heh.

IWB also means that the cover garment can be shorter in length. Or, if that's not a concern, it certainly provides more concealment when one leans to the weak side or reaches up for the top shelf. You can't dispute that, it's just plain obvious even when looking at your pictures.

In winter, with IWB, and being tall, this enables me to easily wear a regular length (not tall) fleece vest, something not reasonable with OWB even with a compact.

My argument, to call it that, is that there are just so many obvious advantages to IWB that it is the first recommendation to almost all folks, even though OWB works for you and some others.

I'm sure a lot of this speculation is due to being "new to carry" and is mostly a mental thing. Try the sugestions offered...they are all true in their own right. If the troubles persist you have a couple of options:

1) purchase a BUG for summer pocket carry.
    2) Purchase/Trade your primary for something that fits your body type better.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how you make out!
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Assistant Administrator
    True Jimmy re length of cover garment - very good point and that will of course be very important for some.

Other point I didn't add - is really to do with comfort. I have some ''padding'' but not a whole lot and IWB when tried was frankly - so darned uncomfortable re the pressure, wherever I tried it. So lucky me managing with OWB

Dave - that rig in the pics is the Eagle Defender made specially for me by Kevin of K&D http://www.kdholsters.com/ - it is in fact the rig in the pic on the website. Here is the side view - and note, altho that is old belt and cinched one notch short of usual (it's more comfy around home) - the slight drop you see there is totally self limiting, and as seen, gun does not pull out from body. Very stable and comfortable.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links