How much of a bulge is acceptable?

This is a discussion on How much of a bulge is acceptable? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to carrying, not quite a month. I carry a Springfield XD-40 subcompact IWB at 9 o'clock or a little behind that in a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much of a bulge is acceptable?

How much of a bulge is acceptable?

I'm new to carrying, not quite a month. I carry a Springfield XD-40 subcompact IWB at 9 o'clock or a little behind that in a comp-tac c-t.a.c. with a little forward cant. Yes, I'm a lefty... I'm about 5'-9" and 125lbs. *think... toothpick*

There is not a noticable bulge sticking out to the side but what does show, depending how i move, is either the butt of the grip behind my arm or the back of the slide in front of my arm. I never tuck my shirt in and always wear 2 shirts to keep it less noticable. Since it's IWB it doesn't "print", just shows a small bump. I'm afraid 2 shirts isn't going to work once the weather is hot.

I guess what i'm wondering is a small bulge in front or back acceptable? I'm afraid that once it's too hot for 2 shirts i'm going to need to find somehting smaller to carry around. Being a skinny guy is tough :)

Any input or pics of good or bad that anyone wants to post would be appreciated. Maybe I worry for nothing.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    My opinion is that a nondescript bulge (that is not detailed enough to be a recognizable silhouette of a pistol part) is OK.

I frequently carry a G21 IWB under a T-shirt and it produces only a small bump like you mention. Same holster, same 9:00, as you use. I have no indication that I've ever been "made", even by police officers that were passing on the street only a few yards away.

Allesi IWB/SOB

I have carried for years... and although we currently have diff. personal frames (I'm 6' 3" & 285) i have been MUCH thinner.

Throughout all body shapes my favorite carry method has been the Allesi IWB/SOB with my 1911 style .45's & my Glock 30. I've used other holsters & still do for various sidearms & carry situations; however, my Allesi has been my favorite.

I don't carry directly SOB but rather keep the "J" hook @ about 05:30. try various locations for you and your gun.

And people carry cell phones, PDA's, etc. today on their belts so probobly in to days world the bulge you mention would not look like a CC firearm (IMHO)

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I "make" a guy every couple of days. I don't say or do anything,just go about my buisness. Other people that carry probably do the same for me. We,as a rule,feel(hopefully) that it is none of our buisness and let it go at that.

I have been found out at the pistol club and people always are amazed. Most people do as they do in NYC,they just look right thru you. It would be vain to think that everybody was lookin at me,or trying to see what I was hideing "way up under there". Don't worry about it. Do your best at concealment,never check your weapon with a pat or a grab/feel. Don't rearrange your cover garments and above all..........NEVER EVER >>>tell anyone that your carring. It's none of any ones buisness. Even your best friends,unless you train together. ---------

yes some is and not a lot you can do about it unless you were a lot of cant in your holster to get the butt farther up Fellow lefty here.. Also some of your good holster options are limited luckly we have 3 holster makers here that will make anything for leftys

Standing Wolf over on THR routinely open carries a .44mag ... he says most people don't notice a giant, shiny revolver hanging on the waist of a rather nondescript thinner older gentleman (I'd guess that he's about your size) so don't worry about anyone noticing your bulge ... hell, in these days of cell phones, pagers and other electronic crap hanging from belts, most people won't automatically think "GUN!" when they see a bulge.

In fact one woman bumped into my gun at Walmart and apologized for bumping into my cell phone.

Remeber, the VAST MAJORITY of the populace walks around in a deep "condition white" haze.

Administrator
    Since you are fairly new to concealed carry...you are probably still noticing your firearm more than any other person will.

You should walk with confidence & don't ever fidget with your firearm.
    You are only printing a bit and not flashing so...you're OK.

People cart so much assorted crappola around with them these days that nobody will honestly care at all about exactly what is under your shirt.

Just always wear an oversize darker colored high quality double weight Cotton T-Shirt or an oversize overall print shirt and don't be overly concerned about a slight weapon bulge.

I would even ditch the double shirt idea since it will likely impede quickest access to your firearm.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    most people will think it's a cell phone,
    Don't worry about it.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

i carry either a full size hk USP, g31, or 1911 owb 3 o-clock under a loose t-shirt. there is a little bulge, but its directly under/concealed by my arm and either nobody notices, or nobody cares. i am "regular joe"......not very pretty, nothing abnormal that would make most folks give me a second look.....i doubt most folks would notice my face, much less a small bump under my arm. being new to carry you are a lot more concious about it than anyone around you, i assure you.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I find that moving the gun forward a little, maybe to 10 o'clock, makes the gun disappear. I'm no toothpick, but I have found it to be invisible there. Others I have talked to also agree on this, but every person is different. It may very well be less comfortable here, though.

As for a smaller gun, I don't know. I carried a tactical size Taurus 24/7 under a Tshirt. Farther forward was definitely necessary, but the SC XD40 is tiny in comparison, you shouldn't have any problem.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

The closer to the midline of your body you carry the more apparent a bulge will be. If you are carrying at 9:00 as you say then the gun sticks directly out from your body. Try moving the gun/holster more towards 8:00 or 10:00 such that it is out of the midline of your body. That will not reduce the size of the bulge per se but will break up the outline and make it somewhat less noticeablel. It is what I do and it sure works for me quite well. Good luck
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Assistant Administrator
    Your subject line initially had my attention - then I saw what you meant I'll say no more on that

Builds vary, and so do carry garment options. I actually despite dairycreek's comment, carry 3, to 3.30 and no probs. But I am still relatively broad of sho and narrow at hip - thus my cover garment hangs leaving a space.

Any printing is probably only a suggestion of ''something'' if I move certain ways but generally, I'd defy most here who did not know I pack - to tell at all. I also BTW carry OWB and full size!!!!

A while back I posted a pic I can't find right now but will add if I do - a diag showing two body type extremes and how they might affect concealment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let me reproduce my first post from that thread having now found it -
    Many know my near obsession with OWB, to exclusion of IWB. The latter is for me so darned uncomfortable, plus summer sweat issues. I'll tell you tho also why I feel it works so well for me - and not others. You may agree or disagree but I am sure this has some merit.

The diag' below which I have done - is grossly exaggerating two extremes, the endomorph and the ectomorph build (the mesomorph is pretty much straight-up-and-down). I am way closer to the former as shown by left hand diagram - the line is showing to illustrate how clothing hangs - here, clear of the holster and gun.

Thus the ''inverted triangle'' torso form naturally allows clothes to hang loose and over a slight space if you will - thus printing is a potentially non-issue really.

Compare with the more ''pear-shaped'' ectomorph and it is obvious this cannot happen - the ''flair'' toward the waist is adverse and so clothes have to hang more draped than clear (again a representative line is drawn). This to me logically suggests the IWB should give better concealment, if acceptable from comfort/sweat aspects.

I only post this to make a point and so perhaps it might help those seeking first-time rigs, to see better how they may achieve good/better concealment. This is all not to say that the ectomorph cannot or will not find an OWB works - it can IMO but, clothing choice may be way more critical. Probably too - the shoulder rig will also benefit more from endomorphic shape.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95, interesting thoughts. My opinion is that the closer the firearm is held to the body, the easier it is to conceal. Given that, I would suggest that IWB is defintely superior to OWB in terms of concealment, regardless of body type.

I would suggest that your diagrams show that some body types are more suited to "getting away with" OWB, whereas some body types must go the IWB route to successfully conceal.

For me, it's not so much my body type that dictates how I carry, but what my outer garment is...summer is IWB time, whereas winter is the more comfortable OWB. And, at times I must resort to SmartCarry.

As to the original post, an occasional "bump" showing is not a big deal, for all the reasons prevously stated. I do my best to conceal, but I know at times there is a hint that I'm carrying. Presently, I am working to control my behavior and eliminate clothing adjustment or any other telling moves, which is what I encourage for you--if you are self-conscious of the "bump", don't broadcast it in any way!

VIP Member
    Good visual, Chris. I always figured there was something to it, but seeing that helps.

darkvibe: I'm with the majority here. You are going to be much more concious of the carry than the people around you. There's so much stuff people hang off their belts that if you don't seem to care about it, they won't.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    I would suggest that IWB is definitely superior to OWB in terms of concealment, regardless of body type.
    Jimmy C - I'd take issue (in friendly manner!) purely because I OWB exclusively and my (big) SIG is about as close in as any IWB and have posted pics of that - only real difference is holster is itself all external. Cover garment takes care of that - it's a cinch.

On my build tho and being totally candid - for all the discomfort (for me) of IWB, I'd gain zilch re concealment - really!

No one can tell I carry - and that's a promise.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links