Skinny guys: How does your belt/hip fit feel?

This is a discussion on Skinny guys: How does your belt/hip fit feel? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didnt take them time to rad all the replys but.... I consider myself a skinny guy. I have the same problem. Its like wearing ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skinny guys: How does your belt/hip fit feel?

I didnt take them time to rad all the replys but....

I consider myself a skinny guy. I have the same problem. Its like wearing boxers that are 5 sizes too small, leaving that annoying impression. I wear my belts on my pelvis, which dosnt leave very much padding. If I need to conceal, I sinch it down till the holster is in its designed position. If Im around the house, loose it is. The simple answer to this problem is IWB! (MTAC for me)
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

2. Remove Ads

How about using a dedicated belt for the holster in conjunction with the one to hold up your pants?
    That way you can wear the holster up higher on your waist.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I am a bony little woman and when I carry (especially OWB) I leave my belt at a comfortable looseness but it makes everything a little more "floppy" around the waist. However, if I tighten my belt to keep things less floppy the belt inevitably digs into my hip bones and leaves both sides of my hips rather raw.

My husband keeps saying that it's a design flaw in female pants because the belt loops and cut force the belt around the hips rather than above them, which could be. But after examining him and where he carries his belt also wraps around a portion of his hips. He submits that this problem is unique to skinny woman as our hips jut out more than a man's does.

Of course, my husband is a bigger boy and has more flesh between his hip bones and his belt/waistband so I'm wondering if any skinny guys have issues with their belt being uncomfortable or digging into your hip bones when you tighten it.

Also, for the skinny guys:

1. If you carry OWB with a belt, where on your waistline does your belt cross. Is it at the belly button, just below, riding the hips, around the hips?

2. If you carry OWB with a belt, how tight do you make your belt?

3. How tight is too tight and what do you consider to be too loose?

4. Do you loosen your belt to make things comfortable or live with the discomfort and a more "floppy" setup?

im skinny for a guy 5'10" 155 and Thats one big reason I IWB carry :)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    3:Too tight is where the belt digs in, which is the reason actually CC or carry belts dont work for me, so rigid that they have one edge that cuts in, a somewhat thick but supple belt works best.
    This is what I have found to be true for myself as well. I have a good gun belt that I've been using and while I have a Wilderness it just seems to be a bit TOO rigid. Though I'm willing to give it another try and break it in a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I've found that finding pants that ride at the hip, not above or below is the trick for me. If they ride too high the bottom edge of the belt digs into the top of the hip bone, if they ride too low the belt lets the holster flop away from the body. If the pants fit so that the belt is level with the hips and snug but not tight, it pulls the holster close to the body letting the grip of the gun hide in that little curve at the waistline.
    This is exactly what I have found and recommend to other women as well.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Easy to solve the problem Lima, just put some meat on those bone! JD will still love you.
    It's taken me a year to put on 10 lbs and I've been working really hard at it. I'm still working on gaining another 4 lbs and it's not easy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
    Another thought which is perhaps peripheral, is the belt. I have a leather belt w. 3/4" spacing between holes. I've got a Wilderness Instructor on order, which allows for much more granular adjustment - perhaps that might help, albeit not too fashionable?

I've watched most of your videos & enjoyed reading your website, so I know you're really attached to the 1911. I certainly respect that; if you get desperate on the comfort issue, though, don't forget about the idea of some lighter weight tuperware
    I do carry IWB a lot and I can make OWB quite comfortable provided I leave my belt just a tiny bit on the loose side. ESPECIALLY if the holster is of such quality that it doesn't put too much weight on one spot on the belt. One of my most comfortable set-ups has been OWB but with other holster systems it can not be as comfortable as with others.

I also have a Wilderness belt and, as I've said it's pretty rigid though I'm willing to try and break it in a little more and try it. You're right. Now extremely fashionable.

Though I like my 1911s, obviously, that is not the only firearm I have or will carry. I am saving up my pennies for a Glock.. that's right.. you read right. Limatunes is willing to try carrying a Glock.

I just want to try everything out in every way before I write it off as a no-go.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    How about using a dedicated belt for the holster in conjunction with the one to hold up your pants?
    That way you can wear the holster up higher on your waist.
    That's an interesting Idea. I might have to look into that.

Thanks, everyone for your feedback.

Lima,

6'3, 165#, 31" waist, same problem. Had it from the get go. I wear jeans 99.9% of the time. Levis 501 and some sort of Wrangler knock off for work (uniform).

I carry IWB (homemade crossbreed style), Full size Baby Eagle .40 13+1 (about as large/heavy as a base model 1911). The holster ends up at about 3:30 - 4:00 on my hip with the dovetail right in my kidney.

I ended up taking a small washcloth, sewed it folded in half (3" x 8") and place it between my jeans and hip at 9:00.

I initially I thought it was something that my body was going to have to get used to (like wearing a new watchband or necklace, not that you have a problem with hairs getting pulled out by the item) but after 2+ years, I still have to do it. The only time I don't is when I am layered up for cold weather (undies, long johns, T-shirt, turtleneck, work shirt) effectively 5 layers of clothing between my hip and the jeans.

I can go about 8 hours without the padding, but any longer then I start hurting. Even when I carry OWB.

I figure why fight with trying to find a different means of carry (belt, clothing, holster brand and style) or a different weapon when all I need to do is add a little padding to the problem side.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Lima, something else can to mind after reading a few posts. Unmentionables, might also be part of the problem. If the elastic band at the top lays on top of the bone, and the belt and weight of the gun presses down on the elastic that can make the problem even worse. If the elastic is slightly higher or lower I've found it makes a big difference too.
    I normally carry either a S&W 686+ or a S&W Model 65, both heavy guns, the weight of the gun itself factors into how much downward pressure sits on top of the bone.
    Yesterday I was home most of the day and not really worried about printing so I tried something new, and moved the rig back from 3:00 to about 3:45. It prints a tiny bit, probably enough that we who carry would see it if we were looking, but I'll bet not enough that the public would notice. My husband and daughter are both good at telling me if I'm printing and they didn't mention it. It seems with the weight of the heavy gun moving it back just that 1/2 inch moved the weight enough to get it off the point of the bone and put it in a spot that was a lot more comfortable.
    I have three different holster that both of the guns fit and the pancake type is definately more comfortable than the scabbard types, the leather is thicker and wider at the area where the cylinder of the guns rides, sort of helping to spread the weight over a larger area, maybe a change of holster would help too?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    At barely 68-inches in height I'm not as proportionally skinny as some in this thread although I dip to -150 now and then. Still, I have my mother's hips and on occasion I have purchased women sized Levis, cargo pants, pull over shirts and non-pink sports clothing. I seldom wear belts for the same reason, so I can sorta relate. When I do wear a belt I have to purchase the contoured style, which by the way, was originally designed for women.

1. If you carry OWB with a belt, where on your waistline does your belt cross. Is it at the belly button, just below, riding the hips, around the hips?
    Answer: On or around the hips, dependent on pant style/cut

2. If you carry OWB with a belt, how tight do you make your belt?
    Answer: As lose as possible for a semi-secure hold

3. How tight is too tight and what do you consider to be too loose?
    Answer: Too tight: when it cinches or gussets the pants.
    Too lose: when the buckle droops below the pant closure/snap/button.

4. Do you loosen your belt to make things comfortable or live with the discomfort and a more "floppy" setup?
    Answer: (a) Prior to OC a belt for me was strictly for appearance, and not to secure my pants. (b) Yes, slight discomfort for a secure draw; more of a challenge with my preferred steel gun(s).
    Bianchi use to offer a sturdy narrow padded, contoured dress belt, although currently, it’s only offered in a 1.75” variant.

Clearly, gun leather makers haven’t recognized the true needs for thin guys or women. In this respect, they’re seemingly stuck in the 1950’s unless they have a wife who forces them to make a woman’s holster now and then. I mean, when is the last time you heard of a female gun leather maker?

In all fairness, the leather wizards build to the masses and us thinner folk are the minority. Also, the current ratio of women vs. guys that carry guns may also be a factor. As it stands, I have no idea what the ‘technical’ solution is, although I do envision a contoured belt that is somehow molded or flared on the bottom edge.

Regards,
    Dan
    Last edited by Saber; February 14th, 2010 at 11:51 AM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

By "skinny", do you mean at my 34-inch belt level...or when it soon gets bigger just above it? I mean, I don't really have to hide it at the side.
    Last edited by Cold Warrior; February 14th, 2010 at 05:15 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links