Skinny guys: How does your belt/hip fit feel?

This is a discussion on Skinny guys: How does your belt/hip fit feel? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a bony little woman and when I carry (especially OWB) I leave my belt at a comfortable looseness but it makes everything a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinny guys: How does your belt/hip fit feel?

Senior Moderator

Skinny guys: How does your belt/hip fit feel?

I am a bony little woman and when I carry (especially OWB) I leave my belt at a comfortable looseness but it makes everything a little more "floppy" around the waist. However, if I tighten my belt to keep things less floppy the belt inevitably digs into my hip bones and leaves both sides of my hips rather raw.

My husband keeps saying that it's a design flaw in female pants because the belt loops and cut force the belt around the hips rather than above them, which could be. But after examining him and where he carries his belt also wraps around a portion of his hips. He submits that this problem is unique to skinny woman as our hips jut out more than a man's does.

Of course, my husband is a bigger boy and has more flesh between his hip bones and his belt/waistband so I'm wondering if any skinny guys have issues with their belt being uncomfortable or digging into your hip bones when you tighten it.

Also, for the skinny guys:

1. If you carry OWB with a belt, where on your waistline does your belt cross. Is it at the belly button, just below, riding the hips, around the hips?

2. If you carry OWB with a belt, how tight do you make your belt?

3. How tight is too tight and what do you consider to be too loose?

4. Do you loosen your belt to make things comfortable or live with the discomfort and a more "floppy" setup?

2. Remove Ads

I'm 5'8 140lbs so I'm definitely a skinny guy. When I carry OWB I have the same problem you do. If I tighten the belt up it kind of digs into my hip bones and is uncomfortable, if I loosen it it flops around a little too much. I haven't figured out much of a solution to this issue other than trying to pull the belt above my hip bone when it gets uncomfortable.

FWIW I'm using a 5 stitch wilderness tactical belt so I know the belt isn't floppy.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Lima thats a tough situation. Honestly its not just women that have hips rubbed raw.
    1:I wear mine just below or on the belly button.
    2:Thats hard to say, I tighten till it is comfortable, but not squeezing. Honestly its hard to explain.
    3:Too tight is where the belt digs in, which is the reason actually CC or carry belts dont work for me, so rigid that they have one edge that cuts in, a somewhat thick but supple belt works best.
    4:I tend to keep my belt tight and things pretty much not flopping around. I also sometimes just live with the discomfort do to certain pants that dont fit right.

In all honesty, I actually listen more to female carriers then the males do to the similar problems.
    Also the thing about women pants being designed to go around the hips is only a recent design thing, its call the "low riders", and they suck for carry period. Older styles of womens pants actually go above the hip and the waist line is put at the belly button, but fashion has driven that lower and lower to where most men wear their pants around their hips.

Oh yeah Im 115 pounds and 5'11", 26X30, or size zero jeans.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Lima, I know exactly what you mean.
    I have the same problem, with belt & bone thing. I've found that finding pants that ride at the hip, not above or below is the trick for me. If they ride too high the bottom edge of the belt digs into the top of the hip bone, if they ride too low the belt lets the holster flop away from the body. If the pants fit so that the belt is level with the hips and snug but not tight, it pulls the holster close to the body letting the grip of the gun hide in that little curve at the waistline.
    My short waist doesn't help either, and it is actually how I found the cure for the problem. Most pants just sit too high for me and when I tried a hip hugger style it put everything in the right place. The gal at my local gun shop mentioned that she had the same problem until she put her firearm in the holster and held it next to her body, moving it around slightly until she found just the right spot, the gun hides well and sits in a comfortable position, From there it's just a matter of finding pants that sit in the same position.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Easy to solve the problem Lima, just put some meat on those bone! JD will still love you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Oh, this is an easy one: let yourself go, eat more donuts! ;) (kidding!!)

I used to be skinny (5'11", 150#, 30" waist), but now I'm at 180 & a 32" waist. I just carry IWB so far (or a shoulder holster), so maybe I shouldn't even post here.. but I'm wondering if you've considered IWB as an alternative?

I was carrying a PPS in a relatively small IWB (CompTAC Spartan), just a few days ago starting carrying a full size M&P .40. I went with a CrossBreed Supertuck, hoping the much larger leather backing would help spread the weight out & offer more stability. It's been working quite well so far. Between the stiff belt, IWB design, and big leather backing, I don't feel like I need to crank the belt up really tight for it to feel stable.

Another thought which is perhaps peripheral, is the belt. I have a leather belt w. 3/4" spacing between holes. I've got a Wilderness Instructor on order, which allows for much more granular adjustment - perhaps that might help, albeit not too fashionable?

I've watched most of your videos & enjoyed reading your website, so I know you're really attached to the 1911. I certainly respect that; if you get desperate on the comfort issue, though, don't forget about the idea of some lighter weight tuperware

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    My husband keeps saying that it's a design flaw in female pants because the belt loops and cut force the belt around the hips rather than above them, which could be. But after examining him and where he carries his belt also wraps around a portion of his hips. He submits that this problem is unique to skinny woman as our hips jut out more than a man's does.

Have you ever shopped in a western clothing store or catalog? For riders (& fashion) western jeans like Wrangler, Cruel Girl, several others, come in a variety of 'rises'. You can find at least blue and black jeans, and some other colors, as well as some dressier stuff like Riatas.

I dont particularly care for low rise jeans, found them uncomfortable at first, but I found that they are at the right place to anchor my holster (at 3 oclock) in the most stable fashion. But the backstrap does stick out from my body (fullsize gun). I havent tried alot of other positions because right now, I only holster carry for IDPA shooting practice.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Lima, I'm 6 ft. 170lbs. I know what you mean.
    I wear my belt just above my hips and slightly below my bellybutton.
    I wear the wrangler and Levi jeans that reach above my hips.
    On some belts the solution is a hole between the normal belt holes. That extra half or three quarters of an inch can make all the difference between tight enough and too tight.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

6 ft 170 no hips I just keep pulling my jeans up gun or no gun! I went to a hoster undershirt.

5'11", 155

Smartcarry in loose pants or pocket carry is most comfortable, OWB at 4 o'clock, followed by IWB comptac Spartan. Beltman belts. I definitely can feel your pain. I also find it's not the width that prints for me, but the grip.
    Try the smartcarry. Its pretty comfortable after you get used to it.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Dear Limatunes,

I am 6'1" and 155 pnds (up from 130 pnds of two years ago), so I know somewhat of what you mean. However, when I wear a OWB holster (paddle type), and especially when I wear a IWB tuckable, I feel little pain from a medium cinched-in (and very stiff) 1 1/2" leather belt. Whether it's because I always wear Levi 501s, or because most men's skin is a LOT rougher and tougher than a woman's, or because men have narrower hips, or because the top of my belt rides just below my belly button, I just don't know.

I'm not sure what you can really do about this, since shoulder, ankle, pocket, and bellyband holsters are IMHO a real pain in their own unique ways*. (And I am very familiar with all holsters types, because I have tried every type imaginable and found that most of them have major issues of either concealment, comfort, retention, draw speed, etc. But, if you are the attractive girl called "Limatunes" I have seen on Youtube, then you probably know a heck of a lot more about this subject than I do!! ).

But with a waist carried weapon, you may want to try a canvas belt, or if rubbing instead of digging in is the real culprit, then (forgive me ) perhaps silk unmentionables may help?

-Bill

*I have settled on IWB holsters for carry, all the way from my 15oz S&W 442 to my 42oz Colt Python, and am quite content!

"Bill
    But with a waist carried weapon, you may want to try a canvas belt, or if rubbing instead of digging in is the real culprit, then (forgive me ) perhaps silk unmentionables may help?"

Oh Bill, what have you said hehehehe remember she carries a 1911, but I agree that LimaTunes is an attractive MARRIED woman ;-)

Mel
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I am 5'11" and 142 pounds, so I think I qualify to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    1. If you carry OWB with a belt, where on your waistline does your belt cross. Is it at the belly button, just below, riding the hips, around the hips?

2. If you carry OWB with a belt, how tight do you make your belt?

3. How tight is too tight and what do you consider to be too loose?

4. Do you loosen your belt to make things comfortable or live with the discomfort and a more "floppy" setup?
    1. I generally wear low-rise jeans, so the belt line is across the upper zone of the pelvis and definitely below the waist.

2 & 3. I cinch the belt tightly for OWB carry. Tightening a belt on my actual waist would be severely uncomfortable.

4. No. I keep the belt tight to avoid the OWB holster and pistol flopping loosely.

I go through the day unaware of the feel of the tight belt, so it's at least not uncomfortable.

Thumbs up Smartcarry

I'm 6'1 185 but 7% body fat, so yea, not much padding at all.

I carry a Beretta 92FS (opting for something smaller w/ a shorter barrel in the future)

I ended up having to resort to smartcarry. I liked to carry owb, paddle holster w/ a dickies belt that's dual-punched all the way around, very close holes, but still it just wasn't working for me. I mainly wore Wasn't always able to wear a cover garment due to the fluctuating FL weather, in and out vehicles at work, differing temperatures of air conditioning from office to office, and many other factors. I wear my belt at my belly button, right below, and riding the hips, but rarely on the hips.

Considered the crossbreed supertuck, and still may get it in the future, but decided to go for the smartcarry (security model w/ an additional pocket) because of there being a very short delivery time, a spare magazine holder, and I store one or two tactical folding knives in the additional pocket when wearing khaki's and don't want the pocket clip on my knive(s) to be visible.

I love the flexibility of the smartcarry, as we speak, I'm wearing sweatpants and still able to carry a fully loaded Beretta 92FS and spare magazine, with the knives.

I am quite skinny and my hip bones are right under the skin. The only time I have noticed discomfort is if I use a thin belt. How wide and thick is your current belt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links