how do you carry your 1911

This is a discussion on how do you carry your 1911 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm really not a 1911 historian so possibly OD could "chime in" on this but, I believe that the 1911 was originally intended to be ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: how do you carry your 1911

Administrator
    I'm really not a 1911 historian so possibly OD could "chime in" on this but, I believe that the 1911 was originally intended to be carried with the hammer lowered down on a chambered round.

I'm not certain if that was lowered down only to the Half-Cock or lowered from the Half-Cock all the way down. (see below in quotes)

BTW the earlier 1911s did have a true hammer Half-Cock where the trigger could not be pulled when the sear was in the Half-Cock notch.

"In 1914, after a few years service, the Army requested and received several small changes to the M1911, with the most noticeable change being the lengthening of the hammer spur to help cock the pistol with only one hand."

QK Note: I think that intent of the longer hammer spur was to facilitate easier "Thumb Cocking" of the pistol hammer with one hand while the shooter was on horseback.

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    The idea of carrying a 1911 C&L was an affectation of Jeff Cooper.
    You would be wrong on that item too, many carried C&L before Col. Cooper started advocating it.

Pick-up a copy of "Shooting" by J. Henry FitzGerald, originally published in 1930, you will even see a number of 1911 shooters using the "high thumb" position that so many people today believe "we" invented. Ain't much new under the sun.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Originally posted by OD You would be wrong on that item too,
    I ain't too proud to admit when I get it wrong

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I believe that the 1911 was originally intended to be carried with the hammer lowered down on a chambered round.
    That's another one of those tricky questions. I believe you are correct if the serviceman had been in a firing mode (hot chamber) and then went to non-firing, instead of dropping the magazine and clearing the chamber they just went to C2 until they could safely return the pistol to C3 as the manual called for.

BTW the earlier 1911s did have a true hammer Half-Cock where the trigger could not be pulled when the sear was in the Half-Cock notch.
    Absolutely.

"In 1914, after a few years service, the Army requested and received several small changes to the M1911, with the most noticeable change being the lengthening of the hammer spur to help cock the pistol with only one hand."

QK Note: I think that intent of the longer hammer spur was to facilitate easier "Thumb Cocking" of the pistol hammer with one hand while the shooter was on horseback.
    I believe that also, but for the reasons mentioned above, I'm not saying you're incorrect, I think is was to facilitate both circumstances.

~ Tiger McKee

Administrator

Thumbs up

Clarification much appreciated.

Thanks OD.

There is so much fascinating and interesting history associated with Old Slabsides.

That having been said:
    I carry C&L (1) and I'm am not suggesting that folks do otherwise.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Clarification much appreciated.

Thanks OD.

There is so much fascinating and interesting history associated with Old Slabsides.

That having been said:
    I carry C&L and I'm am not suggesting that folks do otherwise.
    Hey my friend, you're just as correct as I am.

They had those BIG ol' knurled and checkered hammers for a reason, and it wasn't only to lower the hammer.

They didn't go back to the small hammer till 1939, the Cavalry was pretty much just for show by then.

~ Tiger McKee

Cocked and Locked in a Silent Thunder at 3:00 strong side right. I don't have time to rack a slide or cock a hammer, I only hope to have time to drop the thumb safety and pull the trigger should it come to that.
    I think the 1911 was RE-designed to carry Condition 1.

Here's a little something I copied.

Cocked, locked and ready to rock - From Chuck Taylor, "The controls of the 1911 are well-located for quick, efficient use and require no fine motor skill to operate, a major advantage when the adrenaline is pumping through your veins like a high-pressure pipeline. In fact, the slide stop/release, magazine release button and thumb safety of the M1911 are so easy to operate that no additional training is required. Even when the gun is being presented from a holster, proper training technique incorporates disengagement of the thumb safety at the appropriate time. As practical firearms go, we'll search far and wide for something as easy to use effectively, particularly under stress, as Old Ugly."

Stolen from here. http://www.sightm1911.com/1911_main.htm

Great posts everyone on the history of the 1910 & 1911s. I learned several things. Thank You.

When I carry a 1911, I carry it C&L (1), and always assumed that was the way it was designed to be carried, but now I know some of the actual history behind that practice!
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    Great posts everyone on the history of the 1910 & 1911s. I learned several things. Thank You.

When I carry a 1911, I carry it C&L (1), and always assumed that was the way it was designed to be carried, but now I know some of the actual history behind that practice!
    Agreed, and we got to see some pics of some really handsome old guns too.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

drw
    Cocked & locked in an open top Tagua holster

Inside a range bag, after wasting money on holsters that I do not care or dare to wear around town or Dayton, Ohio. Hey, I'd rather buy range time and holsters and ammo and pay to shoot, rather than buy new shoes or boots!

I just got back from purchasing another gun. Again, I heard a discussion about this among two customers and a clerk. I let myself into the conversation. The clerk nor I could convince them of the inherent safety in condition one carry. Terms like "Israeli draw" came into play and I had to leave before my head exploded.

The very first hand gun I bought was a RIA 1911. I still have it and I think the 1911 is a classic weapon but , like a lot of people, that cocked and locked thing really bugged me for a while. I finaly had to just do it and get used to it.

My biggest concern W/ cocked and locked carry is that I'm afraid I'll drop the gun and have the hammer break off. I think that comes from the fact that I dropped a pellet gun when I was a kid and did break the hammer off

MJK
    C&L.

Swiping the hammer while presenting your weapon takes practice. Draw, swipe and dry fire several hundred times. Eventually you won't even notice your thumb's movement. (I swipe down after the weapon has cleared my holster and before it's fully presented, i.e., during the transition.)

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    FWIW the original M1911 had no safety on it
    No firing pin block, or no safety? I'm not talking about the design stages, but about the requirements put forth to make it acceptable to the Government before it was accepted as a service pistol and put into production. You claimed a M1911. A M1911 has a safety, period!

JMB never intended his pistol to have a safety that was Uncle Sugar's idea.
    And who was the gun being designed for???

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links