how do you carry your 1911

This is a discussion on how do you carry your 1911 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MattInFla The half cock notch is a last-ditch safety, designed to catch the hammer if there us a failure of the sear ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: how do you carry your 1911

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    The half cock notch is a last-ditch safety, designed to catch the hammer if there us a failure of the sear or the full cock notch.

The gun was not intended to be carried at half cock, and you may well be damaging your sear.

That aside, the practice of lowering the hammer over a loaded chamber is unsound, and an invitation to a negligent discharge.

Matt
    Exactly. This is also why almost ever 1911 style manufacturer puts warnings in their manuals to not use the half cock as a carry position, it is there solely for safety.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    No firing pin block, or no safety? I'm not talking about the design stages, but about the requirements put forth to make it acceptable to the Government before it was accepted as a service pistol and put into production.
    Treo was corrected on that. The M1911 DID have a thumb safety from the time it was the M1911. Earlier models/predecessors which were NOT designated as the 1911 did not have the thumb safety.

The Military issue model 1911s and 1911A1s did not/do not feature a firing pin safety. Even the newer guns that found their way into the USMC such as the Kimber Warrior and some Springfield Customs were not so equipped. There may be some few models that were test guns with the Swatz style safety...OD would probably know.

Speaking of which, OD when are you going to write a book on the 1911?

hey, i really thank you all so much for your imput so far.i have tried with the gun empty at half cocked and it will not drop the hammer no matter how much you try to squease the trigger.i did wonder if carrying it this way did put to much pressure or wear on the sear as was stated earlier.that is why i wanted your all's imput.thanks and keep posting on this i have learned so much.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The Military issue model 1911s and 1911A1s did not/do not feature a firing pin safety. Even the newer guns that found their way into the USMC such as the Kimber Warrior and some Springfield Customs were not so equipped. There may be some few models that were test guns with the Swatz style safety...OD would probably know.

Speaking of which, OD when are you going to write a book on the 1911?
    You are quite correct JD, Colt built the first pistols with the Swartz safety in 1937 (Super .38s), but the US Government wanted no part of the safety, just as they didn't want pistols with FPS in the semi-recent (2005) USMC MEU(SOC) & DET-1 contract you mentioned. Colt did transfer some Swartz's pistols to the Military contract (6575 Commercial Government Models in .45acp) in 1942, but the Swartz system was removed from those units.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by musicman View Post
    hey, i really thank you all so much for your imput so far.i have tried with the gun empty at half cocked and it will not drop the hammer no matter how much you try to squease the trigger.i did wonder if carrying it this way did put to much pressure or wear on the sear as was stated earlier.that is why i wanted your all's imput.thanks and keep posting on this i have learned so much.
    It can wear the sear as engagement on that notch was not anticipated and is not at the same angle as the full cock notch. I take it you've never detail stripped your 1911. The reason the hammer won't drop is because the half cock "notch" is more of a captive groove. Series 80 Colts will drop the hammer from half cock.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by naking View Post
    It can wear the sear. I take it you've never detail stripped your 1911. The reason the hammer won't drop is because the half cock "notch" is more of a captive groove.
    That depends on how old his Springfield is, they went to a Series 80 style 1/4 cock shelf on their hammers a few years back.

~ Tiger McKee

Cocked and locked! I have 3 1911's and carry everyone of them that way.
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

Originally posted by OD You are quite correct JD, Colt built the first pistols with the Swartz safety in 1937 (Super .38s), but the US Government wanted no part of the safety, just as they didn't want pistols with FPS in the semi-recent (2005) USMC MEU(SOC) & DET-1 contract you mentioned. Colt did transfer some Swartz's pistols to the Military contract (6575 Commercial Government Models in .45acp) in 1942, but the Swartz system was removed from those units.
    Why was that?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Why was that?
    Simplicity, the Swartz safety is rather complex, the Series 80 style isn't quite as bad, but neither are something you would want to disassemble/reassemble in the field, under stress, they are bad enough at your kitchen table.

Swartz patent

Series 80

Kimber's pseudo Swartz

~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I have always carried in Condition 1 -- Didn't really know there was any other way to carry!

Wilson Combat CQB Compact in Tucker OWB Holster!!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...1&d=1266466929
    Attached Images
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

1 in chamber cocked and locked

Condition 1. A Milt Sparks SSII IWB holster.

Michael

cocked and locked always.

Always cocked and locked, either in the nightstand at night (no kids at home) or in a Galco Avenger holster at about 3:30, like right now.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Learned a lot. Thanks guys.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links