how do you carry your 1911 - Page 5

how do you carry your 1911

This is a discussion on how do you carry your 1911 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Cocked, locked, and ready to rock...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

My 1911

Cocked, locked, and ready to rock

cmb
    This has been educational, I learn more about the 1911 everytime one of these discussions arises. BTW I always carry C&L.

There was an earlier post referencing Field Manual 23-35 (1940) and quotes from it concerning "cocked and locked" carry. In addition to those previous quotes, cocked and locked is further described on pages 11 and 12 of that manual in Section IV, FUNCTIONING, *Method of Operation, section b., where it reads as follows:

"If it is desired to make the pistol ready for instant use and for firing the maximum number of shots with the least possible delay, draw back the slide, insert a cartridge by hand into the chamber, allow the slide to close, then lock the slide and the cocked hammer by pressing the safety lock upward and insert a loaded magazine. The slide and hammer being then positively locked the pistol may be carried safely at full cock and it is only necessary to press down the safety lock (which is located within easy reach of the thumb) when raising the pistol to firing position."

With the exception of how this old military manual advises the first round should be chambered, it otherwise detailed and validated the reasons for "cocked and locked" carry.

GM
    A 1911 shall be carried cocked and locked; the pistols was designed to be carried in that way.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

C&L
    And the old man said, "We'll see..."

My GF Merischino was kind enough to let me post under her name.

I have a CCW, and I often carry a 1911.

My pistol is an Armscor Armory 1911 A-2. It uses Para-Ordinance P14 magazines, which I load with 12 rounds (as this seems to help prevent malfunctions). I often carry cocked and locked, but I must admit that it took a while before I felt comfortable with this.

One technique (I don't know if it's an approved practice or not, but I did it anyway) was to load the magazine with dummy NATO practice rounds, and walk around locked and cocked during an active day and make sure that my activities, choice of holster, movement, etc. didn't cause a negligent discharge.

I took a while, but I was able to get confidence enough to carry the weapon in the way it was intended.

P.S. More details about the gun: It's a wide body .45, I had it finished in Teflon, I got Novak Tritium nightsights, Hogue wraparound grips, and I substituted a standard plug and spring for the full-length guide rod. I also had the gunsmith change the mainspring housing so I could have a lanyard loop. I also use a recoil buffer. The gun itself came with an ambidextrous safety, and a barrel with a feed ramp. I usually carry it with 230 grain jacketed hollow points (standard pressure, not +P) made by Remington. It's home is an Uncle Mike's ITW holster.

P.P.S. This was surprisingly cheap. The gun was $350.00 brand new, the grips were $35.00, the nightsights were $100.00, and the Teflon finish was about $110.00. I made these improvements gradually, so I wasn't put out financially all at once.

"how do you carry your 1911 "

In a box. The frame broke.

I forgot the actual line and who said it but, "Condition 2 has the unusual distinction of being both dangerous and awkward."

Condition 1.

If you need to get used to carrying that way, by all means do so in a safe way, as soon as you can.

Personally, (several years ago) I had to convince myself that it would really work, so I carried around the house, empty, C&L for a few weeks until I was convinced that the safety would never move.

I have carried C&L ever since.
    I even went skiing last weekend, and had several spills with no concern for the security of my Kimber 1911 on my hip at all times. (I'm not that good a skier. Looked like a fat cowboy on skis.) The gun was safe and the safety never moved.
    The 1911 is truly a safe gun in C&L condition.

just my 2 cents
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links