how do you carry your 1911

This is a discussion on how do you carry your 1911 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; this has concerned me for sometime.i carry a springfield 1911 with a round in the barrel with the hammer at half cocked.i know most people ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: how do you carry your 1911

this has concerned me for sometime.i carry a springfield 1911 with a round in the barrel with the hammer at half cocked.i know most people say carry with hammer cocked and with the safety on. i am just wanting to know your all's imput on this.i hope i don't sound to stupid but this my first time to post.i have commented on a few but never posted so i thought i would give it try.

VIP Member
    The only way to carry a 1911 is cocked and locked. If you aren't comfortable doing that (and there's nothing wrong with not liking a cocked and locked pistol pointing at important things- like you!) then you need to select something different. Cocking, racking, and all manner of Hollywood isn't ideal when under the stress of a life and death encounter. You want to be able to easily get the gun into action- and anything greater than thumbing down the safety is just asking too much.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

JD
    Administrator
    Round in chamber, hammer cocked, safety on.

Carrying at half cock is not a very good idea, nor is hammer down on a live round in my opinion.

The act of lowering the hammer on a live round greatly increases the risk of a negligent discharge.

Pending on what make/model gun you have, while carrying at half cock, if for some reason the hammer were to fall and strike the firing pin there may be enough energy to fire the gun.

In my dreams.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Don't let the sight of a cocked and locked hammer worry you. Your striker fired weapons and long guns are also "cocked and locked", you just don't see it. Carry it the way JMB designed it to be

There is no "half cock" on a 1911. You're letting it ride on a safety feature meant to keep the hammer from falling and striking the firing pin. Very dangerous lowering it to that position and also dangerous trying to cock the hammer in a stressful situation.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Moderator
    Condition 1.

I dunno....I dont carry a 1911....for a few reasons (altho I'd love to own one).

But I dont understand why people object to or feel uncomfortable with carrying the gun the way it was designed? Why buy the gun if you feel that way?

It's like driving a car with the parking brake on...you can, but what's the point? It only slows you down. It was designed to be driven with the parking brake off and work as specified.

Musicman, I'm not being critical of you. Being familiar and comfortable with your weapon is very important. *I* just dont get it, and I read this so frequently.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

The way you are carrying your 1911 now is actually LESS SAFE than carrying in condition one. Frankly, I never have understood what bothers some people about carrying cocked and locked.

If one of my Kimbers comes out of the safe, it's cock, locked, and ready to roll...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If one of my Kimbers comes out of the safe, it's cock, locked, and ready to roll...
    Got any to spare?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Training Training Training !!!!!!
    All guns are loaded so don't put your finger on the trigger,if you don't want it to fire.
    All single action 1911 autos ,should be carried cocked and locked.
    I can't tell you how many times a concerned citizen came up to me,worried out of his mind,because my duty weapon was a 1911, with a round in the chamber,cocked and locked,ready to rock, and had to inform me,"Hey mister, your hammer is cocked back!!", and I say yes it is, that's the way the gun was designed to do,so the citizen then says" isn't it dangerous to have the hammer cocked back like this??" "It might go off". I then say, don't worry, everything is all right. You can go know...
    1911 are the bests guns in the world. And Must be always cocked and locked...

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    There is no "half cock" on a 1911. You're letting it ride on a safety feature meant to keep the hammer from falling and striking the firing pin. Very dangerous lowering it to that position and also dangerous trying to cock the hammer in a stressful situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by naking View Post
    The way you are carrying your 1911 now is actually LESS SAFE than carrying in condition one. Frankly, I never have understood what bothers some people about carrying cocked and locked.
    +1 what they said. I was a unit armorer (76Y) for the Wyoming Army National Guard from 1984 to 1988 when we still issued 1911's. It is more dangerous to carry the gun at half cocked then it is to carry it condition 1. I would not hesitate nor think twice about condition 1.

1911, condition 1, no exceptions, ever.

theres more than one way?

omg 666 post
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links