A Quick Question on Sheep - Page 2

A Quick Question on Sheep

This is a discussion on A Quick Question on Sheep within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 10 out of every 10 sheep interviewed said that they were not sheep! Come on folks, get over the "sheepdog" semantics! SHEESH!...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Quick Question on Sheep

VIP Member
    10 out of every 10 sheep interviewed said that they were not sheep!

Come on folks, get over the "sheepdog" semantics! SHEESH!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

LLT
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Sheep dog is a term used by people who posses both a concealed carry permit and delusions of granduer and who beleive that their permit came W/ a bat cape.

I am not a sheep dog
    I like it!

I personally think I fall somewhere in between. In my idea of a perfect world, nobody would need or have handguns. Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world. I suppose we can adapt or risk the consequences. That's where I'm at. It may not make sense, but I'm neither pro or anti-gun -- it's bothersome that we've been conditioned to be to-the-wall for or against something. Being completely closed-minded about others' desire to protect him/herself and family is as ludicrous as those who attain a permit, carry 6 guns, 3 knives, pepper spray and a tin foil hat on their person at all times, all the while jamming their ideals down the throats of those who don't share their views. I can tell you that both extreme examples do a pretty good job of pushing me away from their respective agendas when encountering them.

I've always supported those who feel it necessary to arm themselves for protection of their family... I've now done so myself. I also respect people who prefer to live on blind faith or are otherwise "against" the idea. We often tout the coveted 2A, but we forget the fundamental human rights of freedom of thought and expression.

Here's hoping the "sheep" never need to have it and the "sheep dog" never needs to use it. That's about all there is to say.

Sheep dog is a term used by people who posses both a concealed carry permit and delusions of granduer and who beleive that their permit came W/ a bat cape.
    Bad assumptions aside ...

It's simply a framework for understanding the basic distinctions between three different types of thinking.

More or less ...

• Sheep: It'll cannot happen to me, thus I need not consider it.

• Sheepdog: It can happen, thus I will actively take precautions for protecting me and mine. Merely refusing to consider it simply isn't sufficient to be able to defend against crime.

• Note: Falling back to the "it cannot happen" mentality at any time relegates one to "sheep" thinking again.

• Wolf: You are prey, and I'm here to eat you, legal, moral and upstanding guidelines be damned.

That's pretty much it. The category either fits or not. Change that, or not. It's up to you (in the generic sense).

I am not a sheep dog
    You probably aren't. You will need to decide.

But whatever you do, please leave the denigrating claims and poor assumptions at the door, which serve no purpose other than to generate ill will.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In context to you question, I would say that if she carries herself in a code that is a few steps up from white, than she isn't a sheep(gun or no gun).
    I've been using to term sheep for over half my life, for anyone that does what everyone else does without thinking about why they are doing it.
    I can't think of anytime I've said that to the sheep, I usually just tell myself that.
    Sheep;BG's;road-hugs;PC's;code-red's, they're just like negitive nick name phrases I use to alert myself so as not to get caught up in the flock/herd/etc.
    Kind of like what to say when you at the point of pulling your gun, I want something short and to the point, like "STOP"(then draw and shot if they keep coming). I don't want to waste my micro-sec's in a long sentences, same with driving, I'll just tell myself "Pack" and try to keep myself between two pacts instead of joining one.
    But if we run around telling people the same things we tell ourselves, they'll put us in a nuthouse... Or add us to their list of people they don't like any more...
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Seriously, my wife was an anti until the day she got cornered by someone who scared her good . When she realized that she couldn't have defended herself had the woman decided to push the issue she changed her mind.

That really is what it takes for some people.

Orignally posted by ccw9mm More or less ...

Sheep: It'll cannot happen to me, thus I need not consider it.

Sheepdog: It can happen, thus I will actively take precautions for protecting me and mine. Merely refusing to consider it simply isn't sufficient to be able to defend against crime.

Note: Falling back to the "it cannot happen" mentality at any time relegates one to "sheep" thinking again.

Wolf: You are prey, and I'm here to eat you, legal, moral and upstanding guidelines be damned.

That's pretty much it. The category either fits or not. Change that, or not. It's up to you (in the generic sense).

You probably aren't. You will need to decide.
    Why is it that when ever I read one of these catagorizations I find myself identifying much more W/ the wolf?

Originally posted by ccw9mmBut whatever you do, please leave the denigrating claims and poor assumptions at the door, which serve no purpose other than to generate ill will.
    W/ all due respect there are a lot of people out there who agree W/ my assesment

In the spirit of keeping it fun, I think Ostrich fits best (someone said it earlier.)

As for me, I don't know if I'm a sheep dog or not. What I do know is a valuable tool when I see it. That's what guns are to me, a valuable tool that the constitution ensures I get to own. It's got a specific purpose, that I hope I never need it for, but I'd rather have the right tool at hand when I need it.

Senior Moderator
    Personally, I hate the term.

I would much rather be called "paranoid, old, armed maniac" than a Sheepdog. I would prefer to refer to myself simply as a human being enlightened to the potential of evil in the world.

I once made a reference to people who carry as watchmen in a tower who have a different perspective on the world than those in the courtyard. We can see the potential storms coming and, with a seasoned eye, even predict certain activities. The people in the courtyard who have never visited the watchtower don't have our perspective and some don't want it.

Sometimes, on their first trip up to the watchtower they don't see what we see and it takes training and experience to interpret the storm clouds appropriately.

Is there a level between the "sheep" and the "sheepdog"? ABSOLUTELY. There are MANY levels between the two they just haven't been given clever names yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Bad assumptions aside ...

It's simply a framework for understanding the basic distinctions between three different types of thinking.

More or less ...

• Sheep: It'll cannot happen to me, thus I need not consider it.

• Sheepdog: It can happen, thus I will actively take precautions for protecting me and mine. Merely refusing to consider it simply isn't sufficient to be able to defend against crime.

• Note: Falling back to the "it cannot happen" mentality at any time relegates one to "sheep" thinking again.

• Wolf: You are prey, and I'm here to eat you, legal, moral and upstanding guidelines be damned.

This is exactly what I mean by "sheepdog." I know I am no superhero with a "bat cape" when I got my permit. Common really? However, I do feel I have a duty to protect myself but more importantly, the ones I love. These are my "sheep," they cannot defend themselves and believe it or not, my wife looks to me for protection. However, I am not attached at the hip with her, I dont go everywhere she goes. This is why I call her a "sheep," a tasty snack for the wolf.

I kinda like to think of it (in this respect) as the Loony Toons cartoon of Sam the Sheepdog. The wolf tries to get the sheep only to find the sheepdog stopping him at his every move.

I dont go around pretending that I am a LEO or "protector of the people" or anything like that. Common. Even the family members that are pro-gun and have their permits and carry everyday, I look after as I hope they look after me. I dont really consider them "sheep" just another pair of eyes and "back up" if fecal matter impacts the rotating oscillator!

My wife, believes that there might be a threat out in the world. She has sat in my class, watched the videos, heard me talk about self-defense until I am blue in the face. Still she does not believe that she will be harmed walking down a dark ally. Again, she knows that a threat could arise but chooses not to believe it will happen to her. So after what ccw9mm said above, where does she fall? Sheep? I like the poodle thing, that was good. Concerned citizen? How about "fearless potential victim?"

Folks, please keep this fun. I didnt post this thread as a serious conversation. I know exactly what my wife thinks and how she functions. I am just curious where she might fall in relation to the terminology that I sometimes use to describe to some , my wife for example. Keep this fun, please.

I don't even like the term watchmen because it carries a connotation that we're sentries that keep watch over the city.

No my Yob.

How 'bout we use the term DGI (Don't Get It) to describe those that refuse to acknowledge that we live in a dangerous world.

BTW Avenger, go to any gun forum and do a search of the term "sheep dog" and you will see everything from threads stating that a CHP makes you a defacto cop to threads that suggest we all buy "sheepdog pins" and use them as a way to identify ourselves to other permit holders.

On many fora the term is viewed W/the same contempt as "Mall Ninja"

If she doesn't like sheep, try GOAT. Goats are sort of akin to sheep, but not quite as naive and have some degree of ability to defend themself. Start calling her a goat and let us know how that turns out for ya...
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If she doesn't like sheep, try GOAT. Goats are sort of akin to sheep, but not quite as naive and have some degree of ability to defend themself. Start calling her a goat and let us know how that turns out for ya...
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I am not a sheep dog
    I must be in the Twilight Zone!! I completely agree with Treo. Maybe what you call folks who don't care to carry a gun, but are concerned about the preservation of their lives and the lives of those they love is people with differing opinions.

I don't really see a tremendous difference between those who ridicule people for not carrying a weapon and those who ridicule us who choose to carry. Each choice bears consequences. I'm willing to live with mine.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Personally, I hate the term.

I would much rather be called "paranoid, old, armed maniac" than a Sheepdog. I would prefer to refer to myself simply as a human being enlightened to the potential of evil in the world.

I once made a reference to people who carry as watchmen in a tower who have a different perspective on the world than those in the courtyard. We can see the potential storms coming and, with a seasoned eye, even predict certain activities. The people in the courtyard who have never visited the watchtower don't have our perspective and some don't want it.

Sometimes, on their first trip up to the watchtower they don't see what we see and it takes training and experience to interpret the storm clouds appropriately.

Is there a level between the "sheep" and the "sheepdog"? ABSOLUTELY. There are MANY levels between the two they just haven't been given clever names yet.
    This says it all, and it hits home with my own belief. Back when I was a LEO, I was aware of my surroundings and suspicious of everything and everyone. Over time, those skills faded as I lived a complacent life style. Then one day I was reminded I wasn’t immune to what I would typically see in the news. By circumstance, I managed to prevail and my so-called paranoia has returned.

Generically speaking, those who believe the universe has no intrinsic value are more likely to accept a consequence of their own peril. We may protect them to the best of our ability but free agency is our right, and to each their own.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Boy has this thread been hijacked. Seriously, if you want to begin the whole argument over terminology for the umpeenth time, START YOUR OWN THREAD. Then those of us who are not bent out of shape over terms can ignore it. Why is it that the same people want to argue the same tired point over and over again? I like DC because it's cordial and avoids this bickering stuff...so knock it off already. Sigh...

To the OP: Hey, your wife is cognizant of the dangers out there. That's a good thing. I would praise her for her awareness of her surroundings and encourage her to take that OC out with her when you can. It's better than nothing.

If I were you I would focus on calling her "sweetheart," "dear," "honey" or other some such term of endearment rather than finding a less derogatory term than "sheep." I would call her "your wife who does not carry a gun." My wife knows there is danger, and carries OC spray while running. I can't get her to get her permit and carry, but there is no way I am going to frustrate her or denigrate her by calling her names. And I suppose I try to extend the same courtesy to other friends and family as well as strangers.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links