A Quick Question on Sheep

This is a discussion on A Quick Question on Sheep within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw there is nothing in-between sheep and sheepdog. Either you take charge and ownership of your safety or you don’t. On a side note: ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Quick Question on Sheep

tag
    I saw there is nothing in-between sheep and sheepdog. Either you take charge and ownership of your safety or you don’t.

On a side note: my wife was anti-gun. After we got a divorce and she had to live by her self and listen to the bumps in the night alone she became a gun owner.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Boy has this thread been hijacked. Seriously, if you want to begin the whole argument over terminology for the umpeenth time, START YOUR OWN THREAD. Then those of us who are not bent out of shape over terms can ignore it. Why is it that the same people want to argue the same tired point over and over again? I like DC because it's cordial and avoids this bickering stuff...so knock it off already. Sigh...

To the OP: Hey, your wife is cognizant of the dangers out there. That's a good thing. I would praise her for her awareness of her surroundings and encourage her to take that OC out with her when you can. It's better than nothing.

If I were you I would focus on calling her "sweetheart," "dear," "honey" or other some such term of endearment rather than finding a less derogatory term than "sheep." I would call her "your wife who does not carry a gun." My wife knows there is danger, and carries OC spray while running. I can't get her to get her permit and carry, but there is no way I am going to frustrate her or denigrate her by calling her names. And I suppose I try to extend the same courtesy to other friends and family as well as strangers.
    + 1000 I hate the term "sheep" or "sheepdog" in relation to those who don't carry and those who do. I have friends who shoot regularly for recreation and hunting, but do not carry. Many of them can shoot better than many of us who carry, but they choose not to carry. One of them has a silver star for his actions while in Vietnam. He most certainly is not a "sheep". That is their choice and I support their choice, just as they supprt mine. They are not sheep and I am not a sheepdog. I don't think we benefit ourselves at all by using derogatory terms to those who choose not to carry and personally feel it is just as bad for us to do that as it is for them to call us gun fanatics or gun nuts because we choose to carry.
    NRA life member.

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    If she does not like being called a sheep, then honor her request. There is not much to be gained by insulting one's spouse. Be nice and enjoy your life together.
    Just start pointing out all the bad news that hapens in your area and she might wake up.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Originaly posted by MinistrmalicSeriously, if you want to begin the whole argument over terminology for the umpeenth time, START YOUR OWN THREAD.
    From the OP So my wife and I were talking about and sheepdogs or whatever you want to call those who carry a weapon to protect themselves and/or family.... otherwise known as "US." Anyway, she asked me a question that I found myself at a loss with, "Is there anything between Sheeple and Sheepdogs?"
    Looks to me like this thread is dead nuts on track

Has she heard Dr Gratia's harrowing story? In her situation they were just innocent bystanders unable to fight back...not sheep or sheepdogs... just unarmed by state law. Have her watch the video below. If Dr. Gratia's story doesn't give your wife pause, nothing will.

Suzanna Gratia Hupp explains meaning of 2nd Amendment!
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

Generalizations and allegories are just that- not completely bounding every case. It's more of a continuum, from the willfully oblivious through the conscious protector to the sociopath. Deciding that evil exists and deciding to carry moves you from sheep towards sheepdog, but just that doesn't do it.

You really won't know what you are until you face death and see what happens. Until then, you're just posing.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If she doesn't like sheep, try GOAT. Goats are sort of akin to sheep, but not quite as naive and have some degree of ability to defend themself. Start calling her a goat and let us know how that turns out for ya...
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Boy has this thread been hijacked. Seriously, if you want to begin the whole argument over terminology for the umpeenth time, START YOUR OWN THREAD. Then those of us who are not bent out of shape over terms can ignore it. Why is it that the same people want to argue the same tired point over and over again? I like DC because it's cordial and avoids this bickering stuff...so knock it off already. Sigh...

To the OP: Hey, your wife is cognizant of the dangers out there. That's a good thing. I would praise her for her awareness of her surroundings and encourage her to take that OC out with her when you can. It's better than nothing.

If I were you I would focus on calling her "sweetheart," "dear," "honey" or other some such term of endearment rather than finding a less derogatory term than "sheep." I would call her "your wife who does not carry a gun." My wife knows there is danger, and carries OC spray while running. I can't get her to get her permit and carry, but there is no way I am going to frustrate her or denigrate her by calling her names. And I suppose I try to extend the same courtesy to other friends and family as well as strangers.
    Thank you! I totally agree with you!
    And yes, I do actually call her sweetheart, honey, dear, etc. I call her a "sheep" only in playing and when she refuses to listen to me about self-defense. She is FAR worse in calling me stupid names like "Gun tot'in redneck," and "paranoid hillbilly." I grew up in a SMALL TOWN and now live in the city, wear normal cloths, drive a truck, yes, but I am a country boy stuck in a city.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Thank you! I totally agree with you!
    And yes, I do actually call her sweetheart, honey, dear, etc. I call her a "sheep" only in playing and when she refuses to listen to me about self-defense. She is FAR worse in calling me stupid names like "Gun tot'in redneck," and "paranoid hillbilly." I grew up in a SMALL TOWN and now live in the city, wear normal cloths, drive a truck, yes, but I am a country boy stuck in a city.
    I like the little pet names she calls you. I would be proud. I take great pride in my Redneckism. So much so, I moved to the mountains, bought a 4x4 truck, grew a beard, and tote guns. I joined the local "Country Club" (LOL), but as much for fishing in the ponds and shooting groundhogs than golf. My 8 year old daughter has been going with me out there since she was a baby. Now, she is more interested in fishing and shooting than golf...and I think I may be too. Only played 12 times last year. I shot more groundhogs than that (with a 9mm handgun). I've got a deal with the superintendent...he hates groundhogs. I only shoot them very late of the evening when there's no one around.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    ...I would much rather be called "paranoid, old, armed maniac" than a Sheepdog...
    Statue of Limatunes:

I feel that calling myself a sheepdog is claiming rank I don't have: I run away from trouble if I can, rather than confront it as a job description. No slam on others using the term, and hats off to you if you are skilled and wise enough (and have enough money for lawyers) to pull this off. Or if you're LEO or military: I have great respect for you!

But I feel more like the male version of Pax' "Cornered Cat": don't mess with me or my family; others are largely on their own.

I know what you mean. My responsibility is to protect my family and myself. My goal is to stop the threat and get out of dodge. Regardless of carrying, if I were to see a situation in which someone obviously needed help, I would likely feel compelled to do something to offer assistance in a safe, appropriate, and responsible manner (yell, call for help, OC spray, etc.). That was my nature prior CC...and my decision to CC doesn't really impact that. If anything else, it would make me more cautious as to what degree I would be willing to get involved so as not to put myself in a hairy situation. Two grown men duking it out, they're on their own. A man attacking a woman, I would yell, call 911, and if he turned his attention towards me perhaps deploy OC spray and run. Same thing I would have likely done before I started CC. I'm not going out there looking for anything...and I hope I never find myself in any type of SD or other situation.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Moderator
    Most of the women that I have dealt with over the years didn't believe that it could happen to them until it did happen to them.

I cant tell you the number of women that I have had in class that were only there because they were wronged somehow. Their lives were threatened, they may have been beaten severely by boyfriend, spouses or strangers, some have been raped, and others left to fend for themselves due to various circumstances.

Most of them, by their own admission, realized that they needed to do something to protect themselves,but they just didn't get around to it, didn't know where to look and some even were overwhelmed by it when they started their search. They knew that something could happen, but it wasn't high on their list of priorities at the time.Some of them had no idea of where to even begin.

Only after mental or physical pain or both,did they get serious in their endeavor to protect them self.

Human nature doesn't want to believe that bad things can happen to good people. It wants to cling to what is good, what it honest, and it has a hard time understanding the concept of evil. Only when it happens to them are they willing to accept the fact that since it happened once, it could happen again.

It is unfortunate that it often takes a life threatening event to wake some people up. When it does happen, it often takes months and sometimes even years to get over it. It is truly a life changing event and the world never quite seems the same.

Some women know and understand this, yet for various reasons they choose to ignore it. They depend on their husbands to be the protectors, but that thought process is flawed. Very few women get attacked when they are with someone. It's when they are alone and in Condition White that the bad things happen and it can happen anywhere, anytime.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sheepdog: Internet posters with delusions of grandeur.

Sheep: Person who internet posters like to point out in order to feel superior

Normal gun carriers: People who know that having a gun doesn't make them a sheepdog anymore than having a pair of nun-chucks makes then a ninja.

Normal non-gun carriers: People who (most likely rightly) feel that the odds are in their favor and therefore don't carry for one reason or another.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I don't like the phrase sheepdog either. I am not there to protect people that is the job of the police. People that only rely on others to protect them but believe that only LEO and criminals should have guns are called sheep.

Avenger... You should quit calling her a sheep since it seems to bother her. I would keep on her about carrying a knife or pepper spray. Maybe try talking her into self defense classes. Whether unarmed MA or even a basic tactics and avoidance class (usually offered at no cost to woman).
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

lol, someone always has to put " fun " words to people. Why cant we just say like " Under Prepared... Prepared... and Over Prepared " lol

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links