A Quick Question on Sheep - Page 4

A Quick Question on Sheep

This is a discussion on A Quick Question on Sheep within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sheepdog: Internet posters with delusions of grandeur. Sheep: Person who internet posters like to point out in order to feel superior Terms are used for ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Sheepdog: Internet posters with delusions of grandeur.

Sheep: Person who internet posters like to point out in order to feel superior

Terms are used for communication. In the sense that the terms sheep, sheepdog and wolf pretty clearly distinguish between the main differences in the three groups, they are useful terms.

The difference between them being: those who don't see or prepare for threats; those who do; and those who prey on others, most typically on the unprepared/unseeing.

There are probably a number of reasons why people might use such simplified terms. Some have suggested the act of getting off on superiority. I, myself, use them because they're the commonly-understood terms that most clearly distinguish the primary difference, terms that don't require any specific technical understanding.

Yes, each term can have shades of gray. No, all possible meanings of a given term must apply to a person for that person to have the term apply to him/her. It's a simple, basic means of communicating the difference between those who get it, those who don't and the common enemy (the wolf).

Sheep: A person unaware and unprepared, against real-world threats.

Sheepdog: A person aware and prepared (at least to some degree), against real-world threats.

Wolf: A person who preys on the others (innocents), most typically those who are unaware and/or unprepared.

Pretty simple.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post

Normal gun carriers: People who know that having a gun doesn't make them a sheepdog anymore than having a pair of nun-chucks makes then a ninja.

Normal non-gun carriers: People who (most likely rightly) feel that the odds are in their favor and therefore don't carry for one reason or another.

I like Lima's watchman analogy. You are a watchman for yourself and those close to you - and some may feel a calling to be a watchman for others, like for a church or neighborhood. Not everything need be black and white - there are (darkening) shades of gray as you grow in experience and training, much like the colors of awareness.
    Steve

I like Landric's analogy.

It occurs to me that the only people that blow a gasket when they see such an analogy are those W/ the delusions (but that's just my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm
    Sheep: A person unaware and unprepared, against real-world threats.

Sheepdog: A person aware and prepared (at least to some degree), against real-world threats.

Wolf: A person who preys on the others (innocents), most typically those who are unaware and/or unprepared.

Pretty simple.
    Pretty simple, eh?

Your stereotypes are wildly inaccurate, and as useful as the standard ethnic ones.

I saw a concealed carrier the other day, and the under-six-feet-tall dude had a huge gut and was smoking a cigarette. Is he aware of the threat? The likelihood of that guy needing his piece to stay alive is miniscule compared to the likelihood of a shortened lifespan because of his bad habits.

Honestly, I have been carrying a lot less recently as I have been sizing up the odds. I know that's anathema here, but I am not going to live a gun-centric lifestyle. That's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post

Normal gun carriers: People who know that having a gun doesn't make them a sheepdog anymore than having a pair of nun-chucks makes then a ninja.

Normal non-gun carriers: People who (most likely rightly) feel that the odds are in their favor and therefore don't carry for one reason or another.
    Very well put.

At best we could call ourselves guardians.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    spend a little less time trying to define people who choose not to carry and youll drive less of a wedge between you them...accept the fact that with the tools you choose to use you arent going to bridge the gap...only widen it...and youll undertstand why you cant turn her around....

personally...i find the term sheep to be insulting....and the term sheepdog to be a bit over the top and a poor way to describe oneself....get over that and youll probably improve your odds and your relationship with your wife...

sorry...but the condition "codes" are a bit irritating also to be honest...i feel like i joined the military when i decided to strap a gun to my waste...that wasnt the idea at all...

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Honestly, I have been carrying a lot less recently as I have been sizing up the odds. I know that's anathema here, but I am not going to live a gun-centric lifestyle. That's just me.
    That is your choice.

IMO out of all reasons people don't carry I would say that is the worst reason. To play the odds with your life as the bet isn't something I would do... having a gun, knife, pepper spray, and training is only to tip the odds in your favor if you are ever in danger. It means nothing more to me then things I clip to my belt and put in my pocket. It doesn't give me power or authority.

This is America. You can decide to carry or not. Makes no difference to me.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

The wife is making a distinction between folks who are totally oblivious ( high chance of becoming a victim), and those folks who are just more aware, avoid situations, watch their surroundings, etc..

This is a good distinction. It really makes a difference. For example, if you are walking down the sidewalk and see something ahead that doesn't look good, then you can cross the street and walk down the other side, avoiding a situation.

For those old enough, remember Ted Bundy the serial killer? He had a charming way of luring his victims. The intended victim's decisions and behavior would have made the difference as to whether they lived or died. Too, bad one of them didn't carry a little .32 caliber in her purse. That would have changed history.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    That is your choice.

IMO out of all reasons people don't carry I would say that is the worst reason. To play the odds with your life as the bet isn't something I would do... having a gun, knife, pepper spray, and training is only to tip the odds in your favor if you are ever in danger. It means nothing more to me then things I clip to my belt and put in my pocket. It doesn't give me power or authority.

This is America. You can decide to carry or not. Makes no difference to me.
    Playing the odds with my life? Hardly. Smoking, overeating, drinking, driving habits (and locale) have more influence on longevity than NOT having a sidearm. Period. If you call your insurance company, they can give you the actuarial breakdown.

Here's how one can REALLY tip the odds in their favor:

- avoid dodgy areas
    - stay alert to potentially dangerous situations and people
    - get a good education and good job
    - live in a "good" area
    - don't be out-and-about late at night
    - eschew illegal drugs
    - don't engage in illegal activities

Following a few simple steps like those makes a big impact statistically.

I'm not saying everyone can and should follow those steps, I am simply pointing out that most situations that would call for someone to defend themselves with a firearm are predicated on not following those steps.

In the case of the crazy professor last week, she basically ambushed her prey, and even had one of the dead or injured been armed, it would be difficult to assume they could have responded in time to save their life.

The cost of living is dying. Most of us want to delay the inevitable as much as possible. However, I plan to die, and have made provisions for my family. Although I do not wish to hasten the day, preparing for it makes sense.

While I dislike the term sheepdog I work with a liberal who told me in a discussion once that she does not want any gun carrying crazy person to stick up or protect her. She would rather take her chances with a bad guy. This was just chat, she does not know I carry but I did file her request away in my do not do drawer in my head.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Playing the odds with my life? Hardly. Smoking, overeating, drinking, driving habits (and locale) have more influence on longevity than NOT having a sidearm. Period. If you call your insurance company, they can give you the actuarial breakdown.

Here's how one can REALLY tip the odds in their favor:

- avoid dodgy areas
    - stay alert to potentially dangerous situations and people
    - get a good education and good job
    - live in a "good" area
    - don't be out-and-about late at night
    - eschew illegal drugs
    - don't engage in illegal activities

Following a few simple steps like those makes a big impact statistically.

I'm not saying everyone can and should follow those steps, I am simply pointing out that most situations that would call for someone to defend themselves with a firearm are predicated on not following those steps.

In the case of the crazy professor last week, she basically ambushed her prey, and even had one of the dead or injured been armed, it would be difficult to assume they could have responded in time to save their life.

The cost of living is dying. Most of us want to delay the inevitable as much as possible. However, I plan to die, and have made provisions for my family. Although I do not wish to hasten the day, preparing for it makes sense.
    we will have to agree to disagree.

You are posting on a site with thousands of people that realize that avoidance is sometimes not enough. Its nice you can avoid everything and never go out at night but some of us have to. Some of us have to go into or though "dodgy" areas there is no way around it. Some of us can't move to a "good" neighborhood and have to stick with "bad" apartments. The not doing drugs and crime is obvious and if you are doing those things chances are you don't have a CCW permit...

I don't see how drinking, overeating, smoking and the other things you listed affects the outcome of a life and death situation. I wasn't taking about life style changes, I was talking about how its best to prepare for the worst.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Well I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents. To start I will completely agree with Landric's post and I hate the expression Sheep or Sheepdog. I carry a gun to avoid, to the best of my ability, myself or my family becoming a victim. I also want someone to give me a valid reason to make me do something. Competent carrying of a gun eliminates the "threat" and leaves reasoning.

I would have to see an absolutely unquestionable threat situation to take action where I am not directly involved. You can very easily become the "bad guy" because you acted in haste. I am not a LEO, soldier, or Jack Bauer.

That said the most important issue has been missed. People may just want to do what they want and take a chance. Some people just do not want circumstances to dictate their action. How many times have people indicated that if you have to go into a certain area do not wear jewelry and try to blend in. Everyone will admit that having to use your gun to defend yourself is a possibility but still a remote possibility and many are willing to take that chance so as not to have the responsibility of carrying a gun. The worst situation is residing in a state that does not allow you to make that choice.

Lastly, if you have to convince someone that they need to carry and they do, will they have made the mental commitment to use the gun in self defense and if they have not then their having a gun is worse than not having one.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    She sounds more like an ostrich to me…….knows there is danger but will bury her head so it will go away.

Might sugest she read: American COP July/August 2009
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    great comments scfromny....

its a choice everybody has to make on their own and it should be respected...many people have hobbies, habits and pastimes that are considered dangerous by others but they choose to persue them anyway...its their choice...respect that....

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links