A Quick Question on Sheep

This is a discussion on A Quick Question on Sheep within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally posted by Razor02097 I don't see how drinking, overeating, smoking and the other things you listed affects the outcome of a life and death ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A Quick Question on Sheep

Originally posted by Razor02097 I don't see how drinking, overeating, smoking and the other things you listed affects the outcome of a life and death situation
    Seriously?

Drinking slows your reflexes and lowers your inhibition level opening you up to bad judgements at a time when you are least able to deal W/ the consequenses.

overeating lowers your overall fitness level, opens you up to heart disease (think BG jumps you and instead of reacting you suffer an AMI) ,slows your reaction time and makes you less able to fight back. While at the same time making you a more attractive target.

Smoking means the bad guy is going to smell you coming , as well as hear you wheezing. it's a vasal constrictor and leads to hypertension (how's that for a fun combination?) cut's your wind and leaves you less able to fight back and nicotine gives you the shakes (you can forget about any kind of precision shooting)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Seriously?

Drinking slows your reflexes and lowers your inhibition level opening you up to bad judgements at a time when you are least able to deal W/ the consequenses.

overeating lowers your overall fitness level, opens you up to heart disease (think BG jumps you and instead of reacting you suffer an AMI) ,slows your reaction time and makes you less able to fight back. While at the same time making you a more attractive target.

Smoking means the bad guy is going to smell you coming , as well as hear you wheezing. it's a vasal constrictor and leads to hypertension (how's that for a fun combination?) cut's your wind and leaves you less able to fight back and nicotine gives you the shakes (you can forget about any kind of precision shooting)
    when you put it in that sense I can see it having an effect. But I was wondering why the things he listed would help make him decide not to carry. I guess I worded it wrong.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    So my wife and I were talking about and sheepdogs or whatever you want to call those who carry a weapon to protect themselves and/or family.... otherwise known as "US." Anyway, she asked me a question that I found myself at a loss with, "Is there anything between Sheeple and Sheepdogs?"
    No, I don't believe there is any thing in between. If you look like food in this world, and your not able to fend off a predator, you will be eaten at one time or another. It's as simple as that.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Sheep dog is a term used by people who posses both a concealed carry permit and delusions of granduer and who beleive that their permit came W/ a bat cape.

I am not a sheep dog
    Sad but true.

Personally I hate the term.

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    Sheepdog: Internet posters with delusions of grandeur.

Sheep: Person who internet posters like to point out in order to feel superior
    x2

What people seem to forget when dissecting the use of sheepdog is that implicit in this definition is 'protection of the herd.'

If you wanted to discuss someone completely dedicated and ready to protect self and family....you could just say 'mother.' Or 'father.'

So this whole 'protect the herd' implication is the part carrying the 'assumptions' of some moral high ground.....(fact not in evidence just by retaining the title!)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    x2

What people seem to forget when dissecting the use of sheepdog is that implicit in this definition is 'protection of the herd.'

If you wanted to discuss someone completely dedicated and ready to protect self and family....you could just say 'mother.' Or 'father.'

So this whole 'protect the herd' implication is the part carrying the 'assumptions' of some moral high ground.....(fact not in evidence just by retaining the title!)
    Yeah, that's why I don't like the term: I'm into protecting my wife and daughter, not the herd. No moral high ground here: heck, I'm just doin' what I'm supposed to.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Yes, people seem to forget that the "sheepdog's" primary function is to protect the herd, at the expense if its self if necessary, not to protect its self from the wolf. Of course using flashy terms like "sheepdog" seem to make some folks feel better about themselves and/or superior to others.

For those folks that claim they carry a gun because "they don't like playing the odds with their life", I have one thing to say: If that is the case, you had better stop driving and riding in motor vehicles, because you are significantly more likely to be hurt or killed in a motor vehicle crash than by a felon. Driving or riding in a vehicle is "playing the odds with your life". Its a risk the huge majority of us happily (ignorantly?) take daily. One might be in more danger of being attacked by an armed band than being hurt or killed in a crash in Somalia, but in the United States (and probably the rest of the civilized world), one is taking a much greater chance on the road than one is by going out unarmed.

I carry a gun because it gives me one more tool in the tool box. Its a tool I probably won't need, but its also a tool for which there is no substitute if it is needed. I don't fault people who choose not to carry, they are likely playing the strong odds, but its just not "me" to go about unarmed.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

The car crash thing has nothing to do with carrying. I'm sick of people using car crashes as an analogy, as it does not work. Carrying a gun is more equivalent to wearing a seat belt. If you don't wear a seat belt then yes you are playing the odds with your life in a car too. You are much more likely to be killed in a car if you don't buckle up.

I carry to be prepared. Its not a "tool in the toolbox" as some say. Instead IMO its the last line of defense I have in case my life is in danger and I am unable to retreat or defend myself any other way.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I think you're missing Landric's point.

A gun is a risk mitigation tool. We should all consider the statistical likelihood of various events when looking at our risk mitigation strategy for living.

The likelihood of needing a handgun for self-defense is very, very low for the vast majority of US citizens. You can make it even lower by following some of those guidelines I listed in an earlier thread.

This is a matter of choice based on empirical information. That hardly makes someone a blind, ignorant "sheep".

Some posters seem to think a loaded handgun will ensure you are never a victim of a potentially lethal assault. That is certainly not the case. Even if that miniscule likelihood arises, you may not have time to deploy your weapon or you may end up dead in the encounter even if you do. The gun may also tip an ugly encounter against you as an assailant may see you reaching for your weapon and shoot you where he would have let you lived had you not attempted to defend yourself.

The other point being seemingly missed is that we are all going to die someday. If your goal is to delay that certainty as long as possible, walking around with a loaded handgun is WAAAAAAAY down the list of tactics to help ensure that. Other, more pressing, risk mitigation schemes include good healthcare, avoidance of life-shortening activities, keeping a cool head, safe driving, etc.

Please don't think I am being antagonistic. I simply wanted to put out ideas for discussion.

I never called anyone a sheep for not carrying a gun.

allow me to quote myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    People that only rely on others to protect them but believe that only LEO and criminals should have guns are called sheep.
    in that definition its the people that are unwilling to defend themselves and the mere sight of a gun is cause for panic are sheep.

I also practice common sense. For this I can say I have never "needed" my gun. This doesn't mean I will stop carrying. Never hurts to be prepared though.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I never called anyone a sheep for not carrying a gun. I also practice common sense. For this I can say I have never "needed" my gun. This doesn't mean I will stop carrying. Never hurts to be prepared though.
    I am aware you never used the pejorative term. I was making a broad statement.

I actually agree with you about being prepared. I often carry, but my work and travel life makes it impossible for me to be legally armed for a large percentage of my time. I would most heartily prefer the option of being armed all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I am aware you never used the pejorative term. I was making a broad statement.

I actually agree with you about being prepared. I often carry, but my work and travel life makes it impossible for me to be legally armed for a large percentage of my time. I would most heartily prefer the option of being armed all the time.
    sorry I added content to my previous post.

I know what you mean. Work doesn't allow me to carry... I lock up my CCW when I'm at work. Its a PITA but I still make it a point to CCW anytime I am able to.

I agree with treo....about the cape. andi did not get one with my permit.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    If she does not like being called a sheep, then honor her request. There is not much to be gained by insulting one's spouse. Be nice and enjoy your life together.
    +1. In fact to call someone a sheep in this context is a denigrating term.
    I personally know vets of the military and law enforcement who do not carry. Some have seen extensive combat, and gun battles. To refer to them as sheep is to ignore their battle experiences, and the lack of such by so many on these forums who have never drawn a gun "in anger," yet consider themselves superior.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Interesting...is anyone who doesnt carry a gun a sheep? Or who doesnt carry pepper spray, knife, etc? (I dont think that's what's being said here in the thread, but ya never know)

I see a big difference being responsible for your own safety (as much as possible...which I respectfully leave up to each individual)...and not doing so. Choice of weapons isnt involved (IMO)
    The answer is no, what makes a sheep is being in denial that evil exists, the belief that a sign saying an area is a "gun free zone" will make them safe.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links