A Quick Question on Sheep

This is a discussion on A Quick Question on Sheep within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BugDude If she doesn't like sheep, try GOAT. Goats are sort of akin to sheep, but not quite as naive and have ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: A Quick Question on Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If she doesn't like sheep, try GOAT. Goats are sort of akin to sheep, but not quite as naive and have some degree of ability to defend themself. Start calling her a goat and let us know how that turns out for ya...
    Now that's funny....terrible advice but funny
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    Sheepdog: Internet posters with delusions of grandeur.

Sheep: Person who internet posters like to point out in order to feel superior

Normal gun carriers: People who know that having a gun doesn't make them a sheepdog anymore than having a pair of nun-chucks makes then a ninja.

Normal non-gun carriers: People who (most likely rightly) feel that the odds are in their favor and therefore don't carry for one reason or another.
    That was well put.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Distinguished Member
    To the OP,
    I don't see how you can find yourself ahead in any category by calling your wife a name she does not like (no matter what the subject).

If you need a term to refer to her on the carry/no carry or gun/no gun topic, then let her pick one that she likes.

I think we all do plenty to annoy our spouses that we don't know about, I really try to eliminate those that I do know about.

That's my 2 cents.

There is one in between.....the wolf.

Try using this. There are those who take responsibility for the safety of themselves and their families. There are those who "roll the dice" on their safety and that of their families. There is no in between.

There is one other classification. The one who thinks it is his mission in life to save everyone else. I think those are dangerous.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    To the OP,
    I don't see how you can find yourself ahead in any category by calling your wife a name she does not like (no matter what the subject).

If you need a term to refer to her on the carry/no carry or gun/no gun topic, then let her pick one that she likes.

I think we all do plenty to annoy our spouses that we don't know about, I really try to eliminate those that I do know about.

That's my 2 cents.
    Avenger already explained the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    WOW!!! I decided not to check on this thread for 24hrs just to see what would lay ahead. You people ALMOST make me want to quit this forum all together. REALLY? This was not supposed to be serious people! It was supposed to be fun and enjoyable, not serious and degrading with arguments and off-stereotypes. When I posted this thread, I thought long and hard about where I should post it, here or Off-Topic and Humor section. I dont give two cents if you do or do not like the term "sheepdog" or "sheep" or "wolf" or "superhero" or "watchmen" or "vigilante" or whatever! I just really (if I can actually use that term because like I said before, I REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT THIS) wanted to know if my wife fell in with the people who dont know about the scary people who want to do harm to others, or is she more in line with people like myself who know about the evil and choose to protect themselves. She falls somewhere in the middle. NO. I dont care to know. You people take things and turn them into something its really not. She is my wife, she understands me and the dangers in the world. She does not get all wrapped up in the stupid terminology others have imposed. Yes, I call her a "sheep," just like she calls me a "sheep." ITS FUN!!! NOTHING IS HARMFUL ABOUT IT!!

Thank you to those who tried to keep this on topic and fun.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member
    [QUOTE=Avenger;1497117]She REALLY dont like it when I call her a !! I think she wants something else. [QUOTE]

Oops, I was just stuck on this part up above. There have always been knicknames for me that I really really did not like, so it got me thinking and typing.

Back to the fun stuff.

[QUOTE=cammo girl;1517051][QUOTE=Avenger;1497117]She REALLY dont like it when I call her a !! I think she wants something else.

Oops, I was just stuck on this part up above. There have always been knicknames for me that I really really did not like, so it got me thinking and typing.

Back to the fun stuff.

I wonder if his wife would prefered being called "Lamb" or "Lambie pie" or just "Lambie".
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=Spirit51;1517061][QUOTE=cammo girl;1517051]
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    She REALLY dont like it when I call her a !! I think she wants something else.

I wonder if his wife would prefered being called "Lamb" or "Lambie pie" or just "Lambie".
    Maybe a win-win situation.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    just call her "honey sweetie precious pumpkin pie" then take a shower
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    10 out of every 10 sheep interviewed said that they were not sheep!

Come on folks, get over the "sheepdog" semantics! SHEESH!
    Amen!

I don't lift my leg to wee, but I'll darn sure bite if you try to take what's mine, or hurt someone close to me. Does that make me a sheepdog. Not in my book, am I offended by the analogy, again no. The sheepdog analogy is just a term that's been worn out over the internet by any and everyone.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Just wait 'til someone threatens the kids. I'll bet she won't be "sheepish" then.

It'd be good if she were prepared to do something about it, but having/carrying a gun is just another point on a continuum ranging from completely unarmed to armed to the teeth. What you do with the tools is what matters.

I've considered myself a sheepdog, without really thinking too much about the term itself, for years. I'm not a LEO, but I have been training in martial arts for more than 25 years. I only started carrying a firearm about a year ago, but have always held myself ready to do what I could should the need arise. I've always carried some sort of weapon on me, in addition to my hands, feet and brain.

I teach a martial arts class - I teach my students to run away if at all possible, and to stand and defend themselves if necessary. I teach them awareness and judgement skills and how to look out for bad situations.

Of course, I avoid such situations as much as possible, but since I live in a bad area (Detroit) I can't avoid them altogether. Nor can I just move out. So if I had to I would intervene to protect someone else (my own family coming first, of course) if there were no other alternative. Hopefully there would be time to call 911, but that call would probably come after the incident was over.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Pretty simple, eh?

Your stereotypes are wildly inaccurate, and as useful as the standard ethnic ones.

I saw a concealed carrier the other day, and the under-six-feet-tall dude had a huge gut and was smoking a cigarette. Is he aware of the threat? The likelihood of that guy needing his piece to stay alive is miniscule compared to the likelihood of a shortened lifespan because of his bad habits.

Honestly, I have been carrying a lot less recently as I have been sizing up the odds. I know that's anathema here, but I am not going to live a gun-centric lifestyle. That's just me.
    Like others, you miss the point completely.

Being a concealed carrier, or gun owner, in no way makes anyone a "Sheep dog".

You are either aware of the bad in the world, and have taken precautions to protect yourself and your loved ones (with or without a firearm) or you dont.

Simple.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Playing the odds with my life? Hardly. Smoking, overeating, drinking, driving habits (and locale) have more influence on longevity than NOT having a sidearm. Period. If you call your insurance company, they can give you the actuarial breakdown.

Here's how one can REALLY tip the odds in their favor:

- avoid dodgy areas
    - stay alert to potentially dangerous situations and people
    - get a good education and good job
    - live in a "good" area
    - don't be out-and-about late at night
    - eschew illegal drugs
    - don't engage in illegal activities

Following a few simple steps like those makes a big impact statistically.

I'm not saying everyone can and should follow those steps, I am simply pointing out that most situations that would call for someone to defend themselves with a firearm are predicated on not following those steps.

In the case of the crazy professor last week, she basically ambushed her prey, and even had one of the dead or injured been armed, it would be difficult to assume they could have responded in time to save their life.

The cost of living is dying. Most of us want to delay the inevitable as much as possible. However, I plan to die, and have made provisions for my family. Although I do not wish to hasten the day, preparing for it makes sense.
    Unfortunately, cancer and atherosclerosis cant be stopped with a gun and dont usually crash into a restaurant, or show up at your job, trying to kill you.

The difference is that "most" situations can be dealt with by following the steps you outlined.

I think its safe to say that its the other situations, which cant be planned for, that cuased "most" of us to get their CHL/CCP/CPL.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Seriously?

Drinking slows your reflexes and lowers your inhibition level opening you up to bad judgements at a time when you are least able to deal W/ the consequenses.

overeating lowers your overall fitness level, opens you up to heart disease (think BG jumps you and instead of reacting you suffer an AMI) ,slows your reaction time and makes you less able to fight back. While at the same time making you a more attractive target.

Smoking means the bad guy is going to smell you coming , as well as hear you wheezing. it's a vasal constrictor and leads to hypertension (how's that for a fun combination?) cut's your wind and leaves you less able to fight back and nicotine gives you the shakes (you can forget about any kind of precision shooting)
    None of which is a reason NOT to carry or arm yourself with a gun.
    I would argue that anyone cognizant of evil in the world has the upper hand and stands a higher chance of avoiding disaster better than most.

God bless the little old ladies who with slower reflexes and frail bones have defended themselves with a gun.

Originally posted by Dihappy None of which is a reason NOT to carry or arm yourself with a gun.
    Where did I say it was? You might want to read what you're replying to before replying.

Just sayin'

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links