A Quick Question on Sheep

A Quick Question on Sheep

This is a discussion on A Quick Question on Sheep within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my wife and I were talking about and sheepdogs or whatever you want to call those who carry a weapon to protect themselves and/or ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Quick Question on Sheep

Question A Quick Question on Sheep

So my wife and I were talking about and sheepdogs or whatever you want to call those who carry a weapon to protect themselves and/or family.... otherwise known as "US." Anyway, she asked me a question that I found myself at a loss with, "Is there anything between Sheeple and Sheepdogs?"

I know where she was going with this, she is anti-gun. VERY anti-gun. She tolerates me carrying a weapon and being an instructor only because she does recognize the threat that people can pose. She carrys (sometimes) pepper spray and that is only because I didnt let her leave the house without it! I ask if she has is on her now when she goes out, her normal response is "sometimes." ....woman!.....

Anyway, she knows the dangers, refuses to carry or get her permit for that fact, "sometimes" carrys pepper spray, but most of the time thinks nothing will ever happen to us/her where she will need protection. She thinks that "sheeple" are the totally oblivious ones in the world and she is not that. But she is not a "sheepdog" either. She just wants to know where she might fall in.

What do you guys/gals think on the subject? I dont know, and I really dont care. She does, but I dont. She REALLY dont like it when I call her a !! I think she wants something else.

Mods: I am not sure if this place is the right area for this topic. Please move if its not! Thanks!!

Just for the purpose of discussion:

I'm familiar with the term 'sheepdog' in 3 contexts: a) canines, b) Internet gun forums, and c) Dave Grossman, Lt. Col. and author.

According to Grossman, who has done psychological research into fighting, war, and killing, real 'sheepdogs' are very rare.

And most definitely anyone who legally carries a gun is not one. This one I know.

If you truly are a sheepdog, then perhaps only you know.

(By 'you' here Avenger, I am not speaking of you personally.)

Sorry that this causes discord in your marriage tho Avenger. I hope she never has to realize just how fortunate she is to have your protection.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Shoot.....my wife is anti gun..........

I don't use the sheep/sheepdog terminology.

Though she is anti gun, she has the same "safer" feeling that I have, because I do carry.

I understand her point of veiw...........she understands mine.

I'd say sure....there is an in between......maybe shee is it....I sure would not get away with calling her a sheep.

She sounds more like an ostrich to me…….knows there is danger but will bury her head so it will go away.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

"wannabe" sheep dogs who just haven't made up their mind to take the step.

If she does not like being called a sheep, then honor her request. There is not much to be gained by insulting one's spouse. Be nice and enjoy your life together.

Ask "Babe" the Pig, for advise about sheep. He is the expert.

If you have children, remind her that it's her job to protect them when you're not around. She can let herself become a victim, but the kids are innocent and need a vigilant, protective eye.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Interesting...is anyone who doesnt carry a gun a sheep? Or who doesnt carry pepper spray, knife, etc? (I dont think that's what's being said here in the thread, but ya never know)

I see a big difference being responsible for your own safety (as much as possible...which I respectfully leave up to each individual)...and not doing so. Choice of weapons isnt involved (IMO)
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    If she does not like being called a sheep, then honor her request. There is not much to be gained by insulting one's spouse. Be nice and enjoy your life together.
    Oh... She knows its all fun and games.

One thing I forgot to mention is the fact that I am religious and she is Atheist. She calls me a sheep for following religion (jokingly) and I call her a sheep for obvious reasons. We are totally opposites and love each other to hells end. Opposites attract right? Thats what we always say! Been married 5 years! and still going strong!

This thread is just fun, no harm and no foul.

Wow Avenger! Those are some odds! How long have you been married? You could really give hope to lots of folks.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    "Is there anything between Sheeple and Sheepdogs?"

She thinks that "sheeple" are the totally oblivious ones in the world and she is not that. But she is not a "sheepdog" either. She just wants to know where she might fall in.
    Yes, and I happen to agree with your wife.
    Regardless of what many people as to a majority think or like to think of themself I am personally convinced that the vast majority of people who are shall we say 'aware' (greater than condition white...And this includes very many _off duty_ LEOs too!) are actually just like her.
    Some place in the middle further than the 40 but not all that far past the 50 yd. line.

These people are as related to the corny analogy that just won't die; Poodles. Standard poodles to be exact.

A type of terrier that when the stars align just right, or rather terribly, then may but not always will spring into action.
    Contrary to popular assumption standard poodles are fierce 'terriers'.
    It's silly humans who dress them up to look like canine clowns.

Many people are to my view poodles, a sub-set further are Bouvier and then a large minority of the living in white types are Golden Retrievers.

I do not believe there are any true sheep but children while the wolves they live and walk among us not as dogs but as versions of us...Suffering from maladies such as mange, canine distemper, rabies and intestinal maladies including those who are and simply were born crazy in the head to start.

The Devil is as 'wolf' and The Lord is our shepherd as walking silently among but beyond the prescience of His precious lambs and dogs.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sheep dog is a term used by people who posses both a concealed carry permit and delusions of granduer and who beleive that their permit came W/ a bat cape.

I am not a sheep dog

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    "Is there anything between Sheeple and Sheepdogs?"

She thinks that "sheeple" are the totally oblivious ones in the world and she is not that. But she is not a "sheepdog" either. She just wants to know where she might fall in.
    She's in denial. And it could get her killed and your family killed, if scat hits the whirligig.

While there are certainly no absolute definitions to any of this, people in denial are sheep. That pretty much includes folks like her, who think it won't happen to them.

It's not a matter of utterly, entirely, or all-encompassing blindness. There are certainly gradations of coloring, here. But it's about the inability to see the problem. It's about simply not understanding how wishful thinking is insufficient under an upraised knife. "Sometimes" does not cut it. "Sometimes" is not good enough.

"Sheep" or "Sheeple." The way I view it is, these are the ones who will be preyed upon unwittingly, or who will not have anything they can do about it due to voluntary blindness and refusal to understand that wishful thinking isn't a sufficient defense.

She REALLY dont like it when I call her a sheep!! I think she wants something else.
    She shouldn't like it. It's a baaa-aa-aaad place to be.

So, don't call her that. But sheep/sheeple she remains.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You guys got it all wrong. A sheep dog is a dog the controls a flock of sheep, and in the movie Babe, a pig won the sheep herding competition .
    Law abiding citizens who carry guns are well trained if they know what's good for them,and carry to preserve live and limb. Police are never there when you need them,so you got to fend for yourself. So train,train,and train some more,then train.!!!!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links