How do you carry your Kel Tec P3AT 380?

This is a discussion on How do you carry your Kel Tec P3AT 380? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a used P3AT the other day and took it up to the range to fire some rounds and make sure the weapon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you carry your Kel Tec P3AT 380?

How do you carry your Kel Tec P3AT 380?

I picked up a used P3AT the other day and took it up to the range to fire some rounds and make sure the weapon was ok. After a jam and then a field strip and a good cleaning the gun fired great. Although my hand was a little beat up from the gun I really enjoyed shooting it.

There was 3 other people at the range so everyone took a few minutes to check out everyone else's weapons. One of the guy noticed the pocket clip on the 380 and asked where my holster was for it. When I told him I didn't have one yet and wasn't sure I was going to get one he went on a 10 minute rant about covering the trigger.

So I though I would ask you guys how you carry you Kel Tec.
    All opinions are welcome and thanks in advance for your replies.
    Thanks
    Cliff

2. Remove Ads

I have two holsters for my KelTec P-3AT...
    IWB/SOB
    Pocket Carry

Both work very well.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Cover the trigger.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

mrm
    I carry mine in a js holster in the back pocket or in a nylon leg holster with velcro strap (bug) so it dont need to be quick just secure. LOVE this gun would never part with it, by the way the whole hand hurting thing goes away after you get used to it and becomes a real pleasure to shoot.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I use the DeSantis Nemesis with the extra mag. feature. The pocket clip works good but I have some flexibility issues with drawing it.

I have a Ruger LCP (used to have a KelTec and switched, nothing wrong with the KelTec though just wanted a change) and I carry mine in a Hunter brand back pocket holster. It breaks up the outline and looks like a billfold, but when you reach in to draw the back piece of leather will seperate out from the holster allowing an easy draw. You can get these for KelTec's too.

I agree with the cover the trigger, plus I don't like a gun to be in direct contact with my skin, it is uncomfortable and over time sweat may damage the gun's finish.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

There's a thread on this same subject.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...pdraw-ccw.html

I have a P32 and a Kel-Tec clip installed on it. I don't have any worries about carrying it in my waist since my belt covers the trigger. There nothing that's going to overcome that heavy and long trigger pull on my waist. I'm trading it in for an LCP today and will use the same clip.

All of my other guns are in a pocket holster or IWB holster though.

IWB in a Woolfe bite from Woolfe Leather & Pocket carry in Desantis Nemisis.

belt clip and sometimes an uncle mikes pocket holster. i like the belt clip the best. you are going to get some that will go on and on about the "cover the trigger" issue. your pants/t-shirt/underwear/belt covers the trigger. the p3at has a heavy (8 pounds plus) and long trigger pull i can not see ones pants/t-shirt/underwear/belt pulling the trigger. i have used a belt clip on many different guns (kel tecs, glocks, j-frames) over the years with no problems. but you are going to get many telling you that belt clips are evil and don't use them,,,,but i have never seen one that has made a gun go off in someones pants.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

EW3
    The DeSantis Nemesis was made for this type of gun:

It fits well in the front pocket without being too bulky or noticable.

JS Holsters also makes one that is one-piece that offers more of a flap that prevents printing, which the Nemesis can do a little of in jeans:

IMO, a pocket holster is the natural choice for a pocket pistol like the P32, P3AT, LCP, etc. I feel that if you are going to go through the process of putting on an OWB or IWB belt holster, you may as well carry a much larger gun.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Either in a cheapo uncle mikes IWB, or for absolute discretion IWB with the clip. I Can even wear it IWB with the clip and my shirt tucked in, and noone notices...clipped in deeply, it doesn't even resemble a gun so that's a bonus for dressy-ish occasion.

I have zero concern about the trigger when clipped in...in the pocket I would declare moronicy to not use a trigger covering thingy
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

thanks for all the replies so far. I can understand the cover the trigger feeling most people have and I do to a point also. In the case of my p3at I feel comfortable just using the pocket clip. The reasons for me I feel it is ok are- I don't care one in the chamber - the trigger is partially covered by the belt. Maybe I'm wrong but thats just how I feel.

With all that said I'm going to look around for a holster for it and see what I find that I like and try to carry it in a holster from time to time.

thanks

clip carry for a while with nothing in the chamber, and after a while come back and tell us how many times the gun has tried to fire. If the answer is zero, consider putting one in the chamber and making your gun a much more effective tool.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

EW3
    I wouldn't carry an unchambered P3AT! Get a good pocket holster and carry that thing ready to rock and roll!

In a SHTF situation; think about it, you not only have to pull that little thing, you also have to find the slide, grab it, rack it, then point and fire. Are you really going to have time or be able to do this? Carrying chambered is going to allow you to be prepared to simply draw and fire.

I carried an LCP for over a year, one in the chamber, in my pocket in a Nemesis and never once did I worry about an accidental discharge. You have two things in this setup working in your favor:

1. The trigger is covered; nothing to catch it
    2. The trigger pull is DAO; long and firm, you really have to WANT to pull that trigger
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

desantis nemisis pocket holster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links