Defensive Carry banner

"Honey...Should I take the Glock or the Ruger?"

3K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  alexcantslee 
#1 ·
While getting ready to go to dinner last night, my wife was in the bathroom doing hair/makeup/etc. and I was changing clothes. I call out, "Honey, should I take my Glock or the Ruger?" (G22 or Ruger LCP).
She fires back, "Why would I care what gun you take?"

Oh how the tables have turned.....
I always get asked my opinion on shoes, shirts, belts, earings, hats, and the list goes on! HAHA!! (If I was to ever say, "Why would I care what <<instert item here>> you wear?" I would be in BIG TROUBLE!)

As it turns out....the shirt I picked was not a good choice, so when my wife picked out my shirt, she also picked my gun, based on concealablitiy.....(MY shirt would conceal my Glock, the shirt she picked made me take the LCP)

In the end, I had a wonderful dinner with my beautiful wife!
JVD

#4 ·
From the woman's point of view:
I at one time gave up asking him how I looked, I got the same answer every time, "Fine", he says. And it's always the same answer, no matter what I'm wearing, I could be dressed to take out the garbage and he would say "Fine".
I finally raised my voice a little bit, and said, "just let me know if I'm printing, OK"?
I think he's afraid to say "Fine" any more.

#5 ·
It's funny, 'cause I kind of do the same thing of asking my wife, even though she is not strongly knowledgeable about firearms in general (my wife is also not a CCW carrier, but she does have her own S&W .38SPL Centennial in her nightstand, believes in the 2nd Amendment, and listens when I explain gun safety to her).

So I (quickly*) go over the pros and cons of any major change I plan in my carry regimen, such as going from a lightweight S&W 442 snubby to a very heavyweight Colt Python -- or I talk to her if I think I should change holsters from a Tuckable IWB Kholster to a Galco Summer Comfort IWB.

I talk to her about these things for two reasons: just to get her feedback, and so that she knows what I am carrying just in case she has to grab it off me if things get really bad (i.e., if I'm not conscious anymore to use the weapon myself...).

-Bill

*She gets very bored very fast with gun/strategy talk, while I find it fascinating.

#7 ·
LOL! Ah...the wardrobe (or in this case...the wife's influence on such things) dictates what's carried. Yep...there will be special occasions, and special circumstances....some of which can be more demanding than others. My wife and I are both stubborn and independent in a lot of ways. We respect each others opinions and our ideals are similar as well as our goals. Every once in a while I sort of wish for some input on how I'm doing with dress and the carry, but nothing is ever said between us although the subtle scrutiny is there while dressing. I'm guessing my wife thinks I know what I'm doing since I've been carrying for ten years, and I have faith in her judgments on her carry as well. Although my carry decisions encompass many different options pistols and holsters combined, hers involves only one decision with the options of where to wear. Her High Noon holster and her G26. I'm just there to support her and tell her when things aren't right (which is very seldom) despite her being relatively new to carry (less than six months now), but a natural all the same. Sometimes I wish my decisions were so simple like hers are. Truth be told, I'm still kind of envious at how simple she makes it and so new to carry at the same time. Funny you should mention your wife's preparations on hair, makeup, etc.......while you're doing prep on the clothing vs carry. Sometimes I feel it's all come out to equal now in the male/female prep times to get around and go somewhere. All those stories and jokes I've heard or told in the past about how long it takes a woman to do her thing have gone out the window now. Sometimes I think I am ready to walk out the door and something just gets me wrong, and I'll have to go back and redo (just sometimes). She'll just sit down on the couch in her readiness and wait for me to re-arrange things while looking over her shoulder once or twice. Once I am finally ready, I'll walk to the door and look back at her sitting on the couch, and she'll say...."are we ready now?" Sort of a strange twist on things and the traditional male/female nuances since you've brought the subject up.
To sum things up here.....I'm glad you and your wife had a beautiful evening at dinner last night. Me and mine did the same thing actually over the best Chinese buffet last night, and we both got the exact same fortunes out of our fortune cookies! It's a sign!
By the way...that G22 can be quite a chunk to hide. I've done it, but the options are limited. Thanks for sharing your story with us. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to elaborate on the process with our better half. Mine's everything I could have hoped for and much more. I'm sure yours is too. great Valentine's day honor and post. Wishing you and you and your wife a happy Valentine's day since I truly know what it means for two to be one above and beyond a simple stab in the heart. Wishing you both the best life can bring from here to forever.

#8 ·
Ramrod!!! Quite the Valentine's homage! And here we thought you were just a crusty ol' gun nut! Good stuff. A good woman is the finest gift a man can ever have (assuming he leans in that direction of course, it's 2010 after all...) I have exacted the same revenge on my wife since I began carrying, I have been waiting on that woman's prep for sixteen years, and lately, I have left her waiting as I run back upstairs to swap out my weapon motif (The large snubbies can make me look fat) It has been delicious revenge. Amazing how when we were first married, I would wait in the bathroom doorway and ooze irritation as she went through all the primping. Now, with the blessed drop in testosterone, I sit back down and read something until she's ready. Girls rock.

#9 ·
Honey, does this holster make me look fat?

#14 ·
Almost goes along with the smile and nod rule with wives. Glad to hear that all went well!:danceban:

#19 ·
Great subject. Wife and I went to several Holiday events from last Oct.-Dec. and of course I packed, doing my best to conceal my piece. She really didn't know I was carrying, she was more into prettying herself up and as wives do making sure, my colors match, asking me not to get to political, ect. We get home latter and start getting ready for bed, and at that point I didn't hide the fact I was indeed carrying that night. When she saw me undressing and unholstering she says, I had no idea you were carrying tonight, no printing. Good job honey says she, I replyed why thanks for the compliment! She didn't realize we could go out all dressed up and I could CC without being busted with all her friends (some of them from the other side and leave it at that). But when I reminded her of the money I've spent to CC, she says ok I get it. Can I get a new CC purse? I said you betch ya! She is a fast learner...Those cc purses are kinda pricey!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.