Busted by the wife

This is a discussion on Busted by the wife within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At first my wife thought I was a bit paranoid, but the discussion made her start being aware of the crime action. Next she became ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Busted by the wife

At first my wife thought I was a bit paranoid, but the discussion made her start being aware of the crime action. Next she became a supporter of my carry, then strongly wanting me to carry at home because of the rash of home invasions. So that's what evolution is all about!

2. Remove Ads

awb

just a fact ..............

women do in fact think with or use emotion more so than men who deal mostly in fact /visual data.. it is not so much as how it makes them feel (men ) but more so how it computes / or how the facts line up ...... not sexist , just the way we are made .....
    Poverbs 1:33
    whoso harkens unto me shall dwell safely and shall be quiet from fear of evil ..

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined or determined to commit crimes...
    --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by awb View Post
    women do in fact think with or use emotion more so than men who deal mostly in fact /visual data.. it is not so much as how it makes them feel (men ) but more so how it computes / or how the facts line up ...... not sexist , just the way we are made .....

I wouldn't say that to my wife. She runs two businesses. So far the only emotion I have seen out of her is anger, over people not paying there bills
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

i always carry as for the fiance.... always carries when im not around, and most of the time when i am

I am so happy with my wife's attitude toward carry!

Rewind to when we met 15 years ago--she had maybe shot a firearm once in her life, and it wasn't a handgun. I took her to the range where she shot a .22 rifle and a .38 revolver. She liked it!

So, about a month later I bought her a Ruger 10/22 (the deluxe with walnut stock) with scope, case, and sling. I made it clear that it was "her gun"!

It wasn't long before a friend of ours invited us to the range where we both shot about six different handguns that were suitable for carry. That was a great opportunity for her to decide for herself what she liked. We bought a Glock 26, but with no "shall issue" here it was a house gun. But a defense tool nevertheless.

For business purposes we moved to MI for three years, and there she witnessed a lot of good reasons why one should be prepared with a firearm on their person. In a word, Saginaw...if you know anything about MI you'll understand!

When concealed carry reform was accomplished here in MN back in 2003, we bought her a S&W 642 with Crimson Trace grips. Some time after that she did the training and since then has carried that 642 at all times--I never have to wonder if she's armed, for I know she is, and she knows that I am.

We have a strategy for everything from walking in parking lots to seating in restaurants. I'm sure we could be even better prepared and little by little we tweak our defensive plan for the better.

The moral of the story is to introduce someone to the joy of shooting on the range...start small, as in .22, and then move forward. However, the decision to carry is hers...it seems that simply watching the news would do it, but sometimes it takes a scare to nudge someone to seek out the permit and gun up.

Good luck!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I chuckle when my wife wraps her arm around me in a store, or a movie line and discovers a hard object on my hip. It briefly startles her, just because she forgets its there.. Mind you i've only been carrying for 3 months or so; so it is relatively new for both of us.

I noticed that she didn't say "no" about her being trained on the 870 for when i'm not around... She didn't say no.. she didn't say no!! She just changed the subject, but, that's not a no.. That means deep in her brain she considered it. That's all I need to cultivate the idea!

She came from a home of all girls.. Love my father in law, but he too was pretty much a girl when it comes to things like camping and guns.. "Camping for our family was and always has been no less than a Motel 6".. Ya, ok Jeff <rolleyes>... ;)

By never pushing any guns discussions (which would get heated real fast prior to marriage and in our first few months married), she eventually eased up a TON. The same girl who vowed - with a vien protruding from her forehead - that there would never be a firearm in her home so long as she was alive, bought me a handgun last Christmas... Only been married for 1.5 years. :)
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

JimmyC4 & SAMI...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Why do people think there is a need for an airbag and can understand that, but not carrying a gun ? I would think their chances are higher for need of self protection, than an air bag. I understand air bags are passive, but....

My wife doesn't say anything about it anymore. Nothing...nada. She understands my reasons, and is supportive, but it's not for her. She has no interest in going shooting. She gives me no grief at all about any of it now. She assumes if I'm not in the building I work in, I'm armed...and she's fine with that. She's fine with me having it readily available at home, in the car, or on vacation. She knows I'm a stickler for safety and legality, so I guess that helps.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by jackg View Post
    Wives opinions are driven by emotions therefore they are pointless in this situation.
    Sorry but it's true, my wife of 42 years admits it.

I've heard this one a lot...
    With SOME women their opinions and choices are based off of emotion more so than fact, as is the same with SOME men. To make a general, all inclusive statement isn't the wisest thing to do about anything...especially about firearms and carrying on a forum in which there are several women who support CC/OC and are certified "gun nuts".

Back to the OP's story...
    There actually have been several time when my husband found out I was carrying when we were out shopping or going out to dinner. He is actually getting better about not asking me to take it off and lock it in the car.
    He still seems to have this fear that we are going to draw attention and get arrested. I'm working on him and he is getting better, but every once in a while now he will look at me as I check my cover garment as I'm getting out of the car and give me this "here we go again" look.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Quote Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
    I chuckle when my wife wraps her arm around me in a store, or a movie line and discovers a hard object on my hip. It briefly startles her, :)
    Uhhhh, we are talking about "guns" right?!

Thumbs up

My wife encouraged me to get my CCL and has helped me greatly with HG & Carry advice. She has 10 years of prior Army and 19 years of LE experience. On Valentines Day she bought me my first weapon. (G26) So naturally I reciprocated by buying her her 3rd last week. (CW9)
    There is no one I trust my life with more than my wife! God forbid if the poop hits the fan we've got each other. In every way.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsmith View Post
    My Wife has no problem with me carrying
    which is a bit of a surprise because when I started
    she was a bit uneasy about it

A few Months ago while waiting for a movie to start
    she leaned over and asked (Not nearly quietly enough)
    "Are you Packing?"

After I stopped choking I said
    "No, But Please NEVER ask me that again"

She now knows to ask if I have my friend Wesson with me
    Ha Ha Ha! My brother named his dog Wesson and his carry piece is a Wesson. Our conversations get a little confusing somtimes

I carried when I met my wife 30-odd years ago...

She's a liberal artist type and it was strange to her at first, but it became natural. She doesn't have a lot of illusions about people and likes that guns are around...she just never wanted to shoot much after the basic how to stuff.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I'm lucky enough to know if we are ever accosted on the street, not only will she be moving away from me and seeking cover without having to be told... but she'll also be drawing her own weapon to back me up and or protect my back side from attackers who may be trying to flank us as I address the main and immediate threat.
    And vice versa if she were the direct target. I envy you and the Mrs. It's good to have an extra set of eyes and an armed set at that!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links