Cover garment - draw displacement. - Page 2

Cover garment - draw displacement.

This is a discussion on Cover garment - draw displacement. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; P95, You mentioned in post #7 that you carry your BUG(NAA Mini) in R pocket. Not being expieranced in carry/use of a BUG,I was wondering ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cover garment - draw displacement.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    P95, You mentioned in post #7 that you carry your BUG(NAA Mini) in R pocket. Not being expieranced in carry/use of a BUG,I was wondering why you(or do all BUG people) carry your BUG in you strong hand side pocket.(This, NOT being critical) -------

I draw from under my garment reasonably well by keeping my thumb against my hand (picture a shadow-puppet snake :) ) until I touch the top side of the grip near the hammer.

Keeping my thumb tightly against my hand has not trapped the garment between my hand and the piece, but it did feel a bit awkward until I practiced a bit.

This works for me regardless of shirt material but I still like a heavier shirt for those windy Indiana days. :)
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Assistant Administrator
    Good point RSSZ - now you mention it I guess the NAA sits right side from habit - of course could be a good argument for left side!!

Maybe switch and try - cell right and NAA left - some logic to that for sure. Might spread the pocket wear too!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Every one of us here has their "routine" and I don't want to try to change anybodys. My thoughts are this,remembering that I do not carry a BUG but I do wear a vest as a cover garment quite often.

I'd want the right side(I'm right handed)of my vest to be as light as possible for the "flip back" ease. Though you might lose some of the hold down in wind feature. But the main thing that I preach/teach is that you do not want all your "goodies' on one side of your body.

If your right arm/hand is injured or locked up,you want to be able to access something to use to "unlock" ASAP. You will have to be able to access your "goodies" with your left hand. Another weapon in right vest pocket(a 90deg. pocket) would not work for me.

I carry a 6" streight blade,double edged,partially serated, Gerber,on my belt at 1 o'clock'ish. This blade is oriented so that i can most easily access it with my left hand if my right is locked. Also, it is accessable with my right hand if needbe. I also (depending on how I'm dressed) carry a SAP on my left side that is very easily accessable with my left hand. This is my back up,to my back up ,to my firearm I suppose.

To me, things like this is where force on force drills with your buddies comes in handy. You can try all different weapons,placed in many different locations on your body. These drills at slow speed are great for the "what if" thing.

With my right hand free I will ALWAYS present my firearm first,without even thinking of the blade.

The BG can hold my right arm as tight as he wants to and I'll still be able to come up with a "goodie" or two. -------

I think flipping the shirt would probably be faster, but the thought I had is to practice one draw and master it. For that reason, in the winter, when you have a coat zipped/buttoned, there would be no 'flipping', it would be a two-handed rip-up like someone else mentioned here. So perhaps the two-handed rip-up should be the default as it would work in any dress and weather condition?

I'm just thinking/asking out loud. And of course I'm asking from a carry standpoint, not a competition standpoint. I'd prefer to compete in the same method I carry...in order to make my carry draw faster, not the other way around.
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

While I like to step to the left when presenting firearm, another solution is pages 58 and 59 of No Second Place Winner by Bill Jordan.

Try it, it works.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

KC123 and tuckable draw

KC125 - can you summarize that maneuver - rather than force me to run out and but the book rematurely? Thanks

I didn't see any comments about draw from tuckable holsters for daily wear so far. I haven't found a perfect design so far: the belt clips are always inadequate or too obvious.

Anyone care to comment?

The Flick Tecnique

I put a small slit in a few inches up the fold where the buttons and button holes are on my light shirts, and drop a round of 40 cal. ball ammo in each side to help give the shirt some weight to stay out of the way when you flick it up to draw. It also helps with the wind problem. Just don't forget to take them out before the shirt goes in the laundry!!!

I think you should try some stainless washers instead. You should be able to leave those in there. Experiment by continuing to add them until you get the weight just right, then sew up the hole.

LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Shot in the bottom seams(hems?) works as well, also with enough, can double as an improvised black jack!(just kidding about the jack part)

KC125 - can you summarize that maneuver in No 2nd Place Winner - rather than force me to run out and but the book prematurely? Thanks

(I posted the Q but you probably didn't go back to the thread)

Quote Originally Posted by warwagon
    Shot in the bottom seams(hems?) works as well, also with enough, can double as an improvised black jack!(just kidding about the jack part)
    Wouldn't shot and normal steel washers rust? Thats why I recommended the stainless washers. You could sew them in and leave them.

cgraham--a little hard to describe--but: For me it is a hip movement either right or left depending on where you wish to leave the garment. Knees need to be flexed. Cover will tend to be clear of gun for an instant.

Check your local library, almost all have the book.

Give it a try in front of a mirror--with an empty gun checked at least three times, and a safe background.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links