CCW at the Gym

This is a discussion on CCW at the Gym within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wanted to get your thoughts on CCW at the gym. I am going to assume that in NY, not possible. 1) Not possible to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW at the Gym

CCW at the Gym

Just wanted to get your thoughts on CCW at the gym. I am going to assume that in NY, not possible.

1) Not possible to carry while working out for obvious Safety reasons;
    2) Not possible to leave firearm in the locker;
    3) Not possible in NYS to leave firearm in automobile

As usual your thoughts are appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

I don't know your laws, but I assume that they are not very CCW friendly.
    However, down here in a gym, I walk the treadmill with a P-3AT tucked IWB/SOB, while wearing gym shorts...no problem.

I would not leave a firearm in the locker area, but I could lock it in a CoM safe hidden the trunk.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Right you are about how unfriendly NYS is.

By the way, The Godfather marathon is on AMC!

PM
    If I had the cash to buy a pocket gun; Keltecs; LCP; I would either carry in a pocket or as retsupt99 said in a IWB with my t-shirt covering it. Though I think I would go pocket so I could have the shirt inside the sweats. THere is also thunderwear or Smartcarry.
    and read this thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ind-pants.html for more discussion of CCin workout gear

I don't know what the current laws are in NYS (left a long time ago) but it is possible to CC at a gym very easily and safely. Just plan around your exercises and carry a appropriate size weapon in a proper holster ( or on a chain around your neck or in your underwear). Unless you're naked, you can always find a way.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Pricey, but this is what I'm going to use for jogging and biking once it hits springtime.

UnderTech UnderCover Ultimate Compression Shorts - GlockStore.com

I have CCW'ed at the gym. Small 9mm in a SmartCarry. No one has noticed anything so far...
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Just get a reliable mouse gun and a smart carry, etc. No problem. Lots of people love their LCP's. Not much money either.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

VIP Member
    When I actually do get off my tail and go to the ‘gym’ I leave my gun in the car. There is a high risk of exposure and that would be very awkward, so I simply bite the bullet and go unarmed while working out (if you can call it that). Mainly, I just go to look at the girls anyway, so I guess it doesn’t matter.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Just get a smartcarry. I can carry my regular USPC in a smartcarry and gym shorts, and I haven't found any workout I can't do that way yet - even raquetball, where there's lots of running and jumping around.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    When I actually do get off my tail and go to the ‘gym’ I leave my gun in the car. There is a high risk of exposure and that would be very awkward, so I simply bite the bullet and go unarmed while working out (if you can call it that). Mainly, I just go to look at the girls anyway, so I guess it doesn’t matter.

Finally, an honest rely!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I use a $14 belly band. I wrap the band below my waist line. My sweats cover it up. I put my LCP in it and work out no problem.

You do realize that there are already many threads, with many well-considered replies, on this topic...? I searched them some weeks back and came to the following conclusions:
    1) Carry a mouse gun on-body using one of the many 'concealment' strap-ons.
    2) Carry pretty much any gun in your gym bag that you keep close (very close) during your workout.
    3) Leave the weapon in your car in a safe such as the COM one.
    4) Discretely leave the weapon in your locker making sure to use a pick-resistant lock.

I chose #4; by ‘discretely’ I mean: upon arriving, go into the stall (handicap works best), remove your weapon/holster and put into the gym bag. Then go get dressed down.

A cop at my gym went with option #5: she puts her weapon in one of the small pay-per-use lockers (I assume intended for wallets and such) by the front door.

The purpose of a forum is to communicate. I would be willing to bet everything gun related has already been talked about on this forum. In which case none of us should be writing and all of use should be reading. Soon after this forum would go out of business due to lack of use. I am here to chat as much as I am to read. No harm there.

We all should remember the PA. guy who walked into his gym and opened fire. Options 2-4 are not options as far as I am concerned. You might as well leave them in the car or at home. Having a gun close does not solve the problem of getting to it when some nut job is shooting at everybody. For those of you who are not familiar with the PA shooter. Here you go.
    Pennsylvania LA Fitness Gym Shooter Kept Online Diary in Plotting the Attack - ABC News

VIP Member
    Well dang it anyway! I guess I may have to reconsider the whole ‘bullet biting’ thing’ and stuff a P7 squeeze cocker in my Thunderwear.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links