Concealed Carry Permit

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for the advice. My first thought was not to tell anyone and I plan in doing just that....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Permit

Thanks for the advice. My first thought was not to tell anyone and I plan in doing just that.

2. Remove Ads

The only people that know that I carry are, My wife, my parents, My three brothers and the people that I helped to get their permits.. Just the people I know are going to keep it to themselfs... Oh I almost forgot... All of you great people too..
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Tell the ones that need to know, otherwise keep it to yourself. Treo I think it does make us wiser, we made the decision to carry to defend ourselves if needed.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Wife, gun shop where you buy, and close family or VERY, VERY CLOSE friend. Other than wife, I would not get in a hurry on the others. IMO

Just few additional thoughts about the possible consequences of telling.

Someday you may be on the outs with a friend or former friends, and even with relatives.

The more people you tell, the greater the chances are of the word spreading to those you don't want to know.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    35887 people here know I carry, I've met one of those people. Beyond that only my family knows and they know not to share that information with anyone else.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

My fiance, immediate family, and a few close friends know. The few friends all into firearms as well, are intelligent, and would probably have been offended if I didn't tell them I was taking the class. Pretty tight knit group.

Situation 1: Someone who knows you and knows you carry is having an argument with someone nearby: "Oh, yeah? Well my friend here has a gun, and if you don't..."

Situation 2: Someone who knows you and *doesn't* know you carry gives you a surprise hug or bumps into you: "Oh, my God! Is that a gun?"

Either way, you can be outed in public. Depending on where you live, this alone could cause you some grief with LEOs.

Both of those situations are a bit extreme, but they're not impossible. There will probably be a number of posts after this one telling you how to avoid them both and how this never happens to "me." Some of us, though, are less than perfect.

The point is that either telling or not telling can bite you. I don't know your friends and family you do. Exercise good judgment.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

I asked this in another thread....why would you feel a need or obligation to tell someone else? (I can understand a spouse/bf/gf)

Not being negative or positive, just wondering at the reasoning.

(From my point of view, without hearing from others, it sounds like we feel like we're doing something wrong or dangerous...if not in our own view, then in others' views.)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I don't know MO law, but I recommend you double check something. You stated that being caught in a school would mean you would simply be asked to leave. That surprises me.

Not only am I not a lawyer, I am not a MO lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    There really shouldn't be any "pride" factor in choosing to carry a gun. Choosing to carry is a decision you make because you don't want to be a victim. It doesn't make you a better person. It doesn't make you wiser or cool. It just makes you armed.
    I don't think I made myself clear. I know if a friend of mine were to tell me he/she got their permit, I would be proud of them. Meaning the OP could tell a close friend, the sort of friend that would be congratulatory about it, and be happy for you, and proud of you for deciding to carry and protect you and your's.

I didn't mean he should carry to feel proud or strong, but that he doesn't need to hesitate on telling a close friend who he can trust.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

who to tell...............

Well for me , i think my wife will know , my mother in law, and a co-worker, he carrys too....

thats about it...

the less that know, less crap i have to go through.....
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

LLT
    YMMV, but I haven't told anyone that I carry and only a select few know I even have a firearm. I guess I just don't feel it's anyone's business and to be honest, it disappoints me that I've developed the need to carry one - not something I'm particularly proud of. Sign of the times. Maybe I haven't reached the acceptance stage yet.

Don't Tell

Quote Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
    Situation 1: Someone who knows you and knows you carry is having an argument with someone nearby: "Oh, yeah? Well my friend here has a gun, and if you don't..."
    Exactly! Take it to the next level. I told a few neighbors because at first I felt empowered and feeling my "Wheaties". However later I had a run in with one of my neighbors and could you imagine him reporting that I pulled my gun on him. Now what? Who knows?
    Maybe a little extreme but definitely a possibility.

VIP Member

Situational

Given the VA Tuck situation and the fact that I am an RKBA-activist, if they know me, they know.

In most situations when I am not trying to make a point (OCing at a Council meeting, school board meeting, etc) or in an "ABC on-premise" most folk don't have a clue.

I spent an entire day wearing a orange "Guns Save Lives" button in the General Assembly building visiting assigned legislators handing out VCDL point papers and lobbying, only to have an Anti-RKBA Delegate's AA surprised that I was carrying. He made a dumb comment about how he felt safe in an "Unarmed Victim Zone" [My description not what he called it.]. When I explained that I was carrying and that it was legal, he asked me to leave his office.

FWIIW, I have also had folk call the management at a restaurant in Blacksburg (home of Va Tech), then had their meal boxed and left, when the facts of life were explained to them.

IMHO, we need to stand up and be counted.

OTOH -- YMMV
    Last edited by DaveH; February 20th, 2010 at 09:21 AM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links