Concealed Carry Permit

Concealed Carry Permit

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have taken the test and should hear back from the Sheriff about my permit within 3 weeks and I have the following question. When ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Concealed Carry Permit

I have taken the test and should hear back from the Sheriff about my permit within 3 weeks and I have the following question.

When I get my permit and decide to carry should I tell anyone that I am carrying (obviously my wife will know) especially when we go out with a group of people. If you can tell me good reasons one way or another I would appreciate it. Keep in mind it is an infraction in MO to carry into certain places (bars, schools, polling places, etc..) and if you get caught they ask you to leave and as long as you leave according to the law they cannot do anything about it.

P.S.: I am heavily leaning on not telling anyone but I am open to any reasons that I might not have thought out.

When I first started carrying I told a close friend who then outted me during a disscussion at church to someone I didn't want to know.

Tell no one or tell everyone (telling one person is IMO the same as telling everyone)

Just my $.02, but I'd severely limit the number of people that know you're carrying. If they're like-minded people, maybe a close circle of friends. Aside from that, what benefit is there to spreading the word? You could argue that you'd be "getting the word out" about legal carrying by law-abiding citizens, but you'll have to make that determination for yourself.

My wife obviously knows I carry (and she will too once her CWP arrives), and some close friends do. I've told a close circle of friends, and some of them have since obtained their CWP's. Others were friends who had theirs. I choose not to make it "public knowledge" simply because the average person I encounter has no need to know (I'm counting acquaintances in that number). I do answer firearm questions from time to time, and some of those conversations have grown into long multi-day discussions, which have led to shared range time or other education.That's how I choose to "get the word out". OMO.
    Last edited by Jumper2501; February 14th, 2010 at 10:00 PM.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

I've only told my parents, my girlfriend, and two of my buddies, one of which is an LEO. This was too many people.

Give it time...you'll begin to know when it's right to share.
    Just starting out, I'd keep it under 'your hat and close to the vest'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    I have taken the test and should hear back from the Sheriff about my permit within 3 weeks and I have the following question.

When I get my permit and decide to carry should I tell anyone that I am carrying (obviously my wife will know) especially when we go out with a group of people. If you can tell me good reasons one way or another I would appreciate it. Keep in mind it is an infraction in MO to carry into certain places (bars, schools, polling places, etc..) and if you get caught they ask you to leave and as long as you leave according to the law they cannot do anything about it.

P.S.: I am heavily leaning on not telling anyone but I am open to any reasons that I might not have thought out.
    NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Simply put, it is no one else's business!!!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I tend to keep it only to my close family and closest friends that also have there CWP. I feel the best defense is the element of suprise and if you start telling everyone you never know who may here. Just my thoughts:)
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Personally, I feel the fewer who know the better. My wife and I are the only ones who know I carry.

An exception to this of course is those on the forums. The people on the forums don't directly affect my keeping my concealed carry concealed. I can still go about my life with a least one tactical edge intact - the fact that I am armed is hidden from my opponent until the time I choose to reveal it.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

cj
    I don't let anyone know if I can help it. I've even gone to classes or presentations on the topic...there at least I'll admit to owning firearms, but leave them wondering if I carry one...really none of their business.

AzB
    Only my wife and the guy that owns the shop where I work know. (I carry at work and it's supported) It's nobody else's business.

Az

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Give it time...you'll begin to know when it's right to share.
    Just starting out, I'd keep it under 'your hat and close to the vest'...
    +1. You're going to get lots of opinions on this one, some very militant on either side. Some here would be offended at the thought of someone else knowing. Others (myself included) don't mind so much. I would probably at the very least keep it close to the vest initially, because you can't "untell" people.

For me, after awhile I took the ethic that I wouldn't tell people about it but wouldn't hide from questions either. My employers know, and they are friends. Since many of my friends know I enjoy firearms, a good number know I carry. Personally this doesn't bother me, because in my thinking the BG who is going to need to be dealt with won't be a friend.

That said, be careful who you tell. So I would go with RetSupt and hold off at least for awhile until you know what your overriding ethic will be.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

The only folks that know is my wife and a VERY select few! Remember the element of suprise is alway a great advantage! If someone in the area knows that you carry you may be the first target if someone decides to open fire. Keep safe and good luck!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Three can keep a secret, if two are dead
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

IMHO. tell those that need to know, like your significant other. You don't want to be forced into a situation when you should have to draw only to hear your SO screaming about you carrying, where did you get that? why didn't you tell me? Why don't you trust me? My mother was right! (though at this point I'm sure the BG would be laughing too hard to be threatening)

Feel free to tell those you feel comfortable around. Maybe you have friends you go shooting with that would be proud of you.

Don't brag about it.

These are just my armchair commando thoughts having never carried outside of my own house. I may feel different when I get my LTCF.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Originally posted by mikeprekopaMaybe you have friends you go shooting with that would be proud of you.
    There really shouldn't be any "pride" factor in choosing to carry a gun. Choosing to carry is a decision you make because you don't want to be a victim. It doesn't make you a better person. It doesn't make you wiser or cool. It just makes you armed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links