Reduced Trigger Pull

Reduced Trigger Pull

This is a discussion on Reduced Trigger Pull within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to decide whether or not to send in my Sigma 9mm to get the free trigger job done by Smith and Wesson. ...

Thread: Reduced Trigger Pull

Reduced Trigger Pull

I am trying to decide whether or not to send in my Sigma 9mm to get the free trigger job done by Smith and Wesson. It will be my primary carry gun, but is having a tougher pull advantageous while carrying, or is it safe to get it reduced. I must admit, I have no idea what S&W reduces it to after they fix them, but I am worried about the lack of external safeties and the possibility of an AD. Opinions?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    In the sigma series there is actually a spring that the only job it does is increase the trigger pull. All they do is remove/replace that spring and presto you shave off 3 or 4 pounds of trigger pull. I have heard that some PD require a very hard trigger pull (upwards of 10-12 pounds) is the reason S&W gave the sigma such a ridiculous "need a winch line to help you pull" trigger.

If it affects the way you shoot then get the trigger worked on. If it doesn't then I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh and welcome to the forum
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Do you like the way the gun shoots now? If you do leave it, if you do not send it in. Remember, you are the one the makes the gun safe.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Does doing the trigger job yourself void the warranty from S&W? I've seen the threads on how to do it, and it look pretty simple. Also, could it cause reliability issues down the road, or is that just with the aftermarket spring kits that are sold?

VIP Member
    Unless you’re very familiar with the operation of your pistol, I would leave that to your local smith’. There’s a reason for certain features on a handgun. Granted, gun makers tend to build in a safety margin for liability, but modifications are not as simple as they may appear. For every plus there is an equal minus.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I wouldn't recommend doing a DIY trigger repair unless you know what you are doing.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

My S&W Sigma is my first-ever .40 caliber handgun. It cost me $43 to get mine shipped to Smith [for the trigger job] and returned via UPS and FEDEX. However, since there is no Sigma safety device, save for the slide, a heavier trigger pull might still do for you. Yes, that heavy trigger pull will probably also throw off your first couple of bullets, but attacks will be quick and close for most CCW folks. I like my Sigma but I wasted my time and money; especially since I bought it at a gun show, TWO WEEKS before that S&W $50 rebate, or two FREE $37 magazines, deal started! Damn, that smarted!

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    My S&W Sigma is my first-ever .40 caliber handgun. It cost me $43 to get mine shipped to Smith [for the trigger job] and returned via UPS and FEDEX. However, since there is no Sigma safety device, save for the slide, a heavier trigger pull might still do for you. Yes, that heavy trigger pull will probably also throw off your first couple of bullets, but attacks will be quick and close for most CCW folks. I like my Sigma but I wasted my time and money; especially since I bought it at a gun show, TWO WEEKS before that S&W $50 rebate, or two FREE $37 magazines, deal started! Damn, that smarted!
    I bought my M&P when they had BOTH the $50 rebate AND 2 free mags

Decided to keep the trigger as is for safety and peace of mind. Double and triple taps on paper plates at 7 yards is fine with me, and will only improve with time and practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Slafav View Post
    Decided to keep the trigger as is for safety and peace of mind. Double and triple taps on paper plates at 7 yards is fine with me, and will only improve with time and practice.
    +1. I got used to the trigger pull, I don't think I'd like it if I changed it.

Great guns for the $$, And you'll get use to the trigger & If your use to revolvers thats a plus Great deals too be had ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

The "trigger job" isn't that good anyway, at least on the one I played with. In any case, you're better off with a factory gun for carry.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Send it to S&W for the free trigger job. I shot one after they sent it back improved it a lot!!!
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

Sponsored Links