Without good and sufficient reason

This is a discussion on Without good and sufficient reason within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I copied this from Virginia's code's. What I'd like to know is, what's different about this than the reason to carry always? For no other ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I copied this from Virginia's code's. What I'd like to know is, what's different about this than the reason to carry always? For no other reason I have to get from the church doors to my car.

18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.

If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

(Code 1950, 18.1-241; 1960, c. 358; 1962, c. 411; 1975, cc. 14, 15.)
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

There is no legal definition of what is "good and sufficient reason"....

However, I have a wife and two kids....thus, three good and sufficient reasons.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

JD
    Administrator
    There is no clear definition on it that I have found and I spent about a year and half looking for it.

Sounds like a sufficient reason to me

2 teens shot during church service in Richmond

(02-14) 20:05 PST RICHMOND -- Three young men with black sweatshirt hoods pulled over their heads walked into a packed church service in Richmond on Sunday, where one of them opened fire and wounded two teenagers sitting in the pews, police said.
    The three suspects - who may have been juveniles - fled after the brash 12:30 p.m. attack at New Gethsemane Church of God in Christ, as the singing of the choir was replaced by frightened screams, said Richmond police Sgt. Bisa French.
    The two victims, a 14-year-old boy and a 19-year-old man, were hospitalized and were expected to survive. However, French said, they were not willing to help investigators try to track down their assailants.
    "The key people aren't being cooperative," she said.
    A church deacon who was present during the shooting, Charles Miller, said one of the victims was struck in the leg and the other in the shoulder. It was not clear, both he and French said, whether they were intended targets.
    Miller said some of the more than 120 church members who witnessed the shooting told him the suspects had paced up and down an aisle - apparently looking for one or more targets - before shooting the victims near the back of the church.
    Church members "were going to ask them to remove their hoods" before the shooting, he said.
    "I was listening to the choir and all of a sudden there was a 'pop pop pop pop pop,' " Miller said. "Everyone hit the floor. I didn't know the shooting was inside the church at first, until I heard all of the hollering and screaming."
    The shooting, at 2100 Roosevelt Ave., comes amid a violent beginning to the year in Richmond, which has already recorded seven homicides. The city is still recovering from a violent gang rape outside a high school homecoming dance last year that made national headlines.
    "Obviously it was a very brazen attack - in broad daylight during a church service," French said. "It's very unusual. You'd think a church is a safe place that people can go no matter what circumstances they have in their life or where they are in their life. After today, obviously not."
    French said investigators were talking to witnesses and believe some of them can identify the suspects. But French said the congregants - apparently scared to get involved - were unwilling to look at photo lineups.
    "I don't understand," French said. "Where do you draw the line?"
    She said witnesses to violent crime in Richmond often believe they will face repercussions on the streets, but rarely do.
    Miller, 64, said he was deeply troubled by the shooting, which showed a lack of respect for his church and its members.
    "It's terrible when you come to the house of the Lord and start doing this," he said. "It's just something you don't do."
    But after police emptied the church and processed the crime scene inside, Miller said, he and some of the congregants returned to finish services, which had begun at 11 a.m.
    "We went on and had church anyway," Miller said. "We were giving thanks that nobody was killed. We wanted to go and serve the Lord anyway."

Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    My pastor said, "Of COURSE you should carry - it's our JOB to protect the innocent!"

So far as I know there is no official definition, so you're on your own to convince the legal system that you indeed had a good and sufficient reason. But having a family and churches being 'hit' periodically suggests it to me.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

The two victims, a 14-year-old boy and a 19-year-old man, were hospitalized and were expected to survive. However, French said, they were not willing to help investigators try to track down their assailants
    It was not clear, both he and French said, whether they were intended targets.
    Oh come on!!!

Not only were they the intended targets I'd bet my butt they know exactly who shot them and have the good sense to keep their mouths shut

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I always have a "good and sufficient" reason to carry.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

To be figured out later by county prosecutors, judges and juries who watch Oprah and hold grudges, and by boohooing sensitive lawyers who are more caring and compassionate and generous than me, you see...at least when they are performing for the cameras and media people on my TV screen. "He was a good boy."

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Oh come on!!!

Not only were they the intended targets I'd bet my butt they know exactly who shot them and have the good sense to keep their mouths shut
    Gang related?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Originally posted by Bubbiesdad Gang related?
    Doesn't it sound that way to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Doesn't it sound that way to you?
    That's what I was thinking, just wondering if anyone else did.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

In this church incident, it's not the 'gang-related' I care about, it's the SHOOTING...period!
    The fact that someone could/would shoot a firearm in church is "good and sufficient reason" for me to carry there.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Anytime & Anywhere seem to be good and sufficient reason.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    There is no legal definition of what is "good and sufficient reason"....

However, I have a wife and two kids....thus, three good and sufficient reasons.
    Yes^^^to that... and I think your right to life and the security with in your person is a "good and sufficient reason"...JMHO
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I have three words New Life Church

How much more good and sufficient reason do you need?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links