NRA self defense insurance

This is a discussion on NRA self defense insurance within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cmoe25027 Please forgive me if this is a beat to death topic, but I will soon be a CPL holder in Michigan ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NRA self defense insurance

Check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoe25027 View Post
    Please forgive me if this is a beat to death topic, but I will soon be a CPL holder in Michigan and was wondering if anyone has the NRA self defense insurance, also would like to know if anyone has ever had to use it. For $165 a year it seems like it may be good for piece of mind, at least for myself who does not want to have to drain my retirement fund In order to obtain a solid defense attorney. I have recently been researching Lawyers in my area and believe I have found a solid candidate. This particular attorney recommended getting this insurance, just curious how its looked upon on this forum... Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Collin
    Most insurance policies pay after you are found not guilty. This outfit will pay $5,000.00 up front, if it appears you have a justified shooting, may pay the entire cost of the trial plus providing assistance
    to your attorney in the form of expert witnesses. I am a member and have no other connection with the fund. Suggest you read about it. armedcitizensnetwork.org/

2. Remove Ads

Kahrdoor and Bigpoppa,

Thank you, will check them out!

Cheers,
    Collin

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't recall what "self-defense" insurance is with the NRA, but as a member of that organization, I've had my fill of their "deals" and "benefits." I belonged to the NRA back in the '70s and quit. I rejoined in July 2009 and within a month remembered why I left the first time. Before I received my first magazine, they were send me "membership renewal" mailings. There's an endless stream of NRA junk mail from them, and they have the nerve to ask me to use my stamps to save them money to fight for gun rights." They'd have plenty of money to fight with if they'd cease sending out the "donation" crap.

While I respect what the NRA is fighting for, there needs to be an overhaul in that organization.
    I'd have to say I agree with you too.. At one time I too dropped my membership but renewed it a couple years ago. And sure as you stated above, after a few months, I recalled why I dropped my membership.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I guess I just dont see why someone wouldnt like the NRA junk mail.

The NRA has its purpose, even though you all might not see it.

The NRA is not here for our entertainment, our time, or easy reading. The NRA is here to protect your way of life, your right to keep and bear arms.

If you dont like the junk mail, then opt out. If you dont like the NRA then leave, no one is forcing you to stay. But when the day comes (and I hope it dont) that the government takes your guns and abolishes the second amendment, I hope you can say you did everything in your power to stop it. YES, the NRA needs us. No, they dont need to change a thing or "overhaul" anything.
    And you missed my point alltogether.
    I clearly stated that I appreciated and supported the NRA's cause (and mine), but that the much-needed money spent on mailings could be better spent supporting that cause. I don't, nor does anyone else, need to receive membership renewal mailing starting the month after they join and continuing each month thereafter.

As you said, "The NRA is not here for our entertainment, our time, or easy reading. The NRA is here to protect your way of life, your [I]right to keep and bear arms.[I]" Then let the NRA put its efforts where they belong. It doesn't need to have a contest giving away 17 guns to some lucky winner (who probably can't afford the $10,000 of taxes it would incur). It needs to listen to its members (when they say stop mailing junk, then stop) and look for the most efficient way to support its stated cause--to support our right to keep and bear arms.

I have opted out, I have called and complained, both times being ensured the mailings would stop. They haven't. Apparently, there are others who feel the same.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Kahrdoor View Post
    Most insurance policies pay after you are found not guilty. This outfit will pay $5,000.00 up front, if it appears you have a justified shooting, may pay the entire cost of the trial plus providing assistance
    to your attorney in the form of expert witnesses. I am a member and have no other connection with the fund. Suggest you read about it. armedcitizensnetwork.org/
    I also am a member and a representative for them here in Louisiana. Purely as a non paid individual. I have no interest other as a paid member.

If there are any attorney's who are members and would like to be placed on their recomendation list, let them know at the above URL.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NRA Life Member
    NRA Golden Eagles
    GOA Life Member

NRA Insurance -vs- ACLDN

You might look at, Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network, LLC (Armed Citzen Legal Defense Network LLC.). My understanding they do not provide you with an attorney as such but have attorneys that assist your chosen attorney in pro-gun related matters should you need one. I think the NRA insurance is "after the fact". I want a team on my side during the fact!

Respectfully--Kyle
    Be responsible for your own actions.
    ---
    http://www.calguns.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    I agree 100% with the above. [OldVet]
    Add me to the list of disenchanted 'members'.

I 100% agree with very item you and OldVet noted, and I have my own list of additional historical issue with the NRA as in it's practices per the past ~35 yrs. with it's repositioning of itself as being a political centre point (it was not so prior to roughly the 70s).

My membership is annual only...And year to year I get annoyed and even pissed with them over a multitude of items.
    I keep telling myself I'm going to go ahead and sign up for a life membership but then they go and do something (or choose to not do something) that reminds me of why I hadn't last year and for some time period years back dropped them altogether.

And don't even get me started on the soaking they give as toward their 'certification' process (!).

Definitely agreed a refresh is in order with them internally.

- Janq likes Kool-Aid but not all and any flavor
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I agree that it is annoying getting all the junk mail and donation begging....and that is from ANY organization...not just the NRA.....but they are still the only game in town, and I support them when I can and I always fill out the ILA questionaires. I will send an occasional 5 or 10 bucks....but we are all hurting economically right now.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Firearms Liability for CCW

Do any of you have the Arm Citizens Network deal? I agree with Kyle18, I would like them on my (our) side during the entire process rather than the 'wait and see' procedure. I tell myself everyday carrying is what I need to do to protect myself and loved ones, but I know I can't afford the legal costs if things were to go south for whatever reason.

I too am interested in the NRA self defense insurance or Armed Citizens, and I would love to hear more insite. I read the Armed Citzens site and they do infact cover $5000 (deductible) for your lawyer to get the process rolling aparently. But after that, it is a gray area to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoe25027 View Post
    [...] I was wondering if anyone has the NRA self defense insurance [...]
    I've had an "umbrella liability" policy with State Farm for many years (originally for reasons other than self-defense liability), but I had wondered if it excluded self-defense liability. I asked NRA about their policy, and studied its provisions a bit. Then I called State Farm, and asked them about my policy (re: self-defense). I decided based on their responses that my existing policy was a bit better than the NRA coverage, so I just kept what I already had. Of course, I'm assuming that what I THOUGHT I heard the State Farm lady say IS correct.

I have recently been researching Lawyers in my area and believe I have found a solid candidate.
    I contacted NRA, to try a get a recommendation for a good 2nd-amendment lawyer in my area. The name I was given seems to be out of date...I repeatedly called the number, and it was constantly busy. I also couldn't find his name in the phone directory, or on the web. I tried to get the NRA's response to that, but haven't heard from them.

Re: the NRA's voluminous mailings: Yes, they ARE annoying. But the work they are doing for ALL of us is critical. For example, the 2nd amendment case that is about to be heard before the US Supreme Court was filed by the NRA. There are MANY other examples.

If you can't tolerate their mailings, or their magazine, at least contribute to the NRA-ILA and the NRA-PVF...they both have web pages that make it (fairly) easy. Far too many people, who value their gun rights, aren't pulling their own weight in trying to preserve them.

Mike Fontenot

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I don't know a thing about these insurances or such, have done some reading on the links provided, but not enough to make a decent comment on them but I can say, it's refreshed my memory to go look them back up to see what's out there again.

As far as the NRA, it's the biggest game in town for what we need. I don't agree with everything they do or support, but they do have the clout and political backing to ensure we "gun owners" are not left high and dry. Could they be better, sure they could, but heck folks, what organization can't be better? I'll stick with them until something better comes along.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...oundation.html

Post # 20 by member Pax explains the function of ACLDF a bit more for those that might be interested. (The above link is a thread on this forum)

Stay safe-Kyle
    Be responsible for your own actions.
    ---
    http://www.calguns.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I dont really get all the negative NRA posts on here. I have been a member for a LONG time and still get the junk mail and requests all the time. I dont really mind. I read the magazines, and apply for the contests (on occasion). I renew my membership yearly only because I really cant afford the lifetime membership. I am a Certified NRA Instructor. I guess I just dont see why someone wouldnt like the NRA junk mail. Even though, before I open the envelope, I know what it is. But I still flip through everything. The NRA has its purpose, even though you all might not see it. I have met some people that were members and dropped out because for two years they paid their dues, threw away the junk mail and magazines without even reading them, never shopped at the NRA site, or had anything to do with the NRA. And then, they tell me that the NRA didnt have anything to offer them and that is why they dropped out. hmmm.... The NRA is not here for our entertainment, our time, or easy reading. The NRA is here to protect your way of life, your right to keep and bear arms. If you dont like the junk mail, then opt out. If you dont like the NRA then leave, no one is forcing you to stay. But when the day comes (and I hope it dont) that the government takes your guns and abolishes the second amendment, I hope you can say you did everything in your power to stop it. YES, the NRA needs us. No, they dont need to change a thing or "overhaul" anything.
    That kind of paranoia is why people label gun owners as..well...paranoid. The odds of the 2nd amendment (or any amendment for that matter) being abolished is about as likely as me waking up tomorrow with dwarfism. It's the same bullcrap I hear all the time about how "President Obama is the best gun salesman of all time." Considering he has signed off on two laws that are now passed (one just went into effect today) to not only *not* take away gun rights, but protect them, I'd say the guy isn't exactly "anti-gun". Wouldn't go so far as to say he's "pro-gun", more so that he's "pro-constitution". He is, of course, a Harvard professor on the subject so that really isn't a huge shock to me. I can certainly appreciate your right to opinion on this subject, sir, and I sincerely appreciate you taking the due diligence to instruct others in firearms use, but I don't think you or I or anyone here has too much to worry about with our "guns being taken away by the big bad gov't". If people would bother to do their homework, settle the F down, and think about things....we wouldn't have an ammo shortage right now.

Regarding the NRA--biggest group of complete hypocrites outside of Captiol Hill. I applaud their intentions, but their methods are flat out Un-American.

VIP Member
    I reading about folk having x, y, z insurance -- including comments about what their salesman "said", from time-to-time.

My question is has anyone experience on the use/need/reimbursement side of such insurance.

I've never had an experience with firearm insurance, but I have had claims with other type of insurance and (with the exception of car insurance) have found that the adjusters have a whole different view of details than the salesmen did.

Anyone had a claim? Did coverage live up to your expectations?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links