Defensive Carry banner

NRA self defense insurance

32K views 50 replies 30 participants last post by  Dennis1209 
#1 ·
Please forgive me if this is a beat to death topic, but I will soon be a CPL holder in Michigan and was wondering if anyone has the NRA self defense insurance, also would like to know if anyone has ever had to use it. For $165 a year it seems like it may be good for piece of mind, at least for myself who does not want to have to drain my retirement fund In order to obtain a solid defense attorney. I have recently been researching Lawyers in my area and believe I have found a solid candidate. This particular attorney recommended getting this insurance, just curious how its looked upon on this forum... Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Collin

#2 ·
I don't recall what "self-defense" insurance is with the NRA, but as a member of that organization, I've had my fill of their "deals" and "benefits." I belonged to the NRA back in the '70s and quit. I rejoined in July 2009 and within a month remembered why I left the first time. Before I received my first magazine, they were send me "membership renewal" mailings. There's an endless stream of NRA junk mail from them, and they have the nerve to ask me to use my stamps to save them money to fight for gun rights." They'd have plenty of money to fight with if they'd cease sending out the "donation" crap.

While I respect what the NRA is fighting for, there needs to be an overhaul in that organization.

#3 ·
I agree 100% with the above.

I am also extremely PO'ed at all of the fraudulent advertisements they permit in their magazine, with these ads used to defraud their very own (more gullible) NRA members. [See my letter to the NRA below, sent a few years back]. :aargh4:

But, unfortunately, they are the only real and effective game in town, which is why I am, and will always be, an NRA member.

My letter to the NRA:

"Dear NRA,

As a long standing member of the National Rifle Association, I would like to know why the NRA permits blatantly deceptive advertisements for useless health products in the American Rifleman magazine?

A few quick examples:

a. "Claroxan supplement", which promises to "greatly improve" a person's age-deteriorated vision;

b. "The Hearing Pill", which guarantees "to reduce noise-induced hearing loss";

c. "The Reverse Aging Miracle" HGH pill which not only magically makes you younger, but also is a remedy for obesity, insomnia, high blood pressure, impotence, baldness, hemorrhoids, cataracts, angina, fatigue, and "reverses many degenerative disease symptoms".

There is absolutely no excuse for allowing such reprehensible ads in the American Rifleman. I realize you are doing it just for the advertising revenue, but when you tolerate these types of bogus health products in your magazine, you are not only being a party to a scam that adversely affects people's wellbeing, but you are also permitting unscrupulous companies to rip-off your own NRA members.

By permitting these ads, it also decreases the apparent veracity and honesty of the NRA not only in the eyes of its own members, but also in the eyes of the media, politicians, and the public.

Why are these advertisements for sham medical treatment products tolerated in the American Rifleman? "

-Bill :tired:

#4 ·
I guess they have to have those ads to pay for all there mailings. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets fed up with the NRA.

#7 ·
I have e-mailed and called, and I'm still inundated. Just deleted 6 NRA e-mails that came in this weekend.:hand1:

#6 ·
Back to the OP ... I've had the NRA endorsed Personal Liability/SD insurance for awhile -thankfully never had to use it. While not 100%, it's just about the only such insurance available, and (as you noted Collin) it's peace of mind if nothing else. Virtually all other insurance policies that I've heard of will not cover self defense, and especially not cover your legal fees.

Siafu beat me to it. You can opt out. I did (it's called "do not promote"), and it cut my mailings from the NRA dramatically - and, I think, at least some of the phone calls.

#8 ·
Thanks Rainmaker, appreciate the reply!

As far as the NRA, I may be naive but I am glad to be part of such a large organization with a single themed goal. I can deal with the junkmail and the BS advertising as long as I can do it with my pistols safely unconfiscated! Now show me some widespread corruption or some other shadyness and I will be quick to withdraw my support.

Cheers,
Collin

#9 ·
Hmmm.... not having that problem this time. I was also a member of the NRA/ILA and got mail about twice a week. They seem to be much better than they were before. Another thing to keep in mind is that the NRA is a non-profit organization so at the beginning of the fiscal year a certain portion of the budget must be marked for advertising or mailings etc. Non-profit groups cannot shuffle monies around and have to be profit neutral also. I work at a hospital that is non-profit...you should see the money they waste as to not have it left on the books at years end.

Privacy Policy

#12 ·
I dont really get all the negative NRA posts on here. I have been a member for a LONG time and still get the junk mail and requests all the time. I dont really mind. I read the magazines, and apply for the contests (on occasion). I renew my membership yearly only because I really cant afford the lifetime membership. I am a Certified NRA Instructor. I guess I just dont see why someone wouldnt like the NRA junk mail. Even though, before I open the envelope, I know what it is. But I still flip through everything. The NRA has its purpose, even though you all might not see it. I have met some people that were members and dropped out because for two years they paid their dues, threw away the junk mail and magazines without even reading them, never shopped at the NRA site, or had anything to do with the NRA. And then, they tell me that the NRA didnt have anything to offer them and that is why they dropped out. hmmm.... The NRA is not here for our entertainment, our time, or easy reading. The NRA is here to protect your way of life, your right to keep and bear arms. If you dont like the junk mail, then opt out. If you dont like the NRA then leave, no one is forcing you to stay. But when the day comes (and I hope it dont) that the government takes your guns and abolishes the second amendment, I hope you can say you did everything in your power to stop it. YES, the NRA needs us. No, they dont need to change a thing or "overhaul" anything.

#19 ·
I guess I just dont see why someone wouldnt like the NRA junk mail.

The NRA has its purpose, even though you all might not see it.

The NRA is not here for our entertainment, our time, or easy reading. The NRA is here to protect your way of life, your right to keep and bear arms.

If you dont like the junk mail, then opt out. If you dont like the NRA then leave, no one is forcing you to stay. But when the day comes (and I hope it dont) that the government takes your guns and abolishes the second amendment, I hope you can say you did everything in your power to stop it. YES, the NRA needs us. No, they dont need to change a thing or "overhaul" anything.
And you missed my point alltogether.
I clearly stated that I appreciated and supported the NRA's cause (and mine), but that the much-needed money spent on mailings could be better spent supporting that cause. I don't, nor does anyone else, need to receive membership renewal mailing starting the month after they join and continuing each month thereafter.

As you said, "The NRA is not here for our entertainment, our time, or easy reading. The NRA is here to protect your way of life, your right to keep and bear arms." Then let the NRA put its efforts where they belong. It doesn't need to have a contest giving away 17 guns to some lucky winner (who probably can't afford the $10,000 of taxes it would incur). It needs to listen to its members (when they say stop mailing junk, then stop) and look for the most efficient way to support its stated cause--to support our right to keep and bear arms.

I have opted out, I have called and complained, both times being ensured the mailings would stop. They haven't. Apparently, there are others who feel the same.

#16 ·
Check this out.

Most insurance policies pay after you are found not guilty. This outfit will pay $5,000.00 up front, if it appears you have a justified shooting, may pay the entire cost of the trial plus providing assistance
to your attorney in the form of expert witnesses. I am a member and have no other connection with the fund. Suggest you read about it. armedcitizensnetwork.org/

#20 ·
Most insurance policies pay after you are found not guilty. This outfit will pay $5,000.00 up front, if it appears you have a justified shooting, may pay the entire cost of the trial plus providing assistance
to your attorney in the form of expert witnesses. I am a member and have no other connection with the fund. Suggest you read about it. armedcitizensnetwork.org/
I also am a member and a representative for them here in Louisiana. Purely as a non paid individual. I have no interest other as a paid member.

If there are any attorney's who are members and would like to be placed on their recomendation list, let them know at the above URL.

#21 ·
NRA Insurance -vs- ACLDN

You might look at, Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network, LLC (Armed Citzen Legal Defense Network LLC.). My understanding they do not provide you with an attorney as such but have attorneys that assist your chosen attorney in pro-gun related matters should you need one. I think the NRA insurance is "after the fact". I want a team on my side during the fact!

Respectfully--Kyle

#43 ·
You might look at, Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network, LLC (Armed Citzen Legal Defense Network LLC.). My understanding they do not provide you with an attorney as such but have attorneys that assist your chosen attorney in pro-gun related matters should you need one. I think the NRA insurance is "after the fact". I want a team on my side during the fact!

Respectfully--Kyle

In addition to helping your lawyer, they toss $5,000 on the table in front of him to get him moving on your case...

#23 ·
I agree that it is annoying getting all the junk mail and donation begging....and that is from ANY organization...not just the NRA.....but they are still the only game in town, and I support them when I can and I always fill out the ILA questionaires. I will send an occasional 5 or 10 bucks....but we are all hurting economically right now.

#25 ·
Do any of you have the Arm Citizens Network deal? I agree with Kyle18, I would like them on my (our) side during the entire process rather than the 'wait and see' procedure. I tell myself everyday carrying is what I need to do to protect myself and loved ones, but I know I can't afford the legal costs if things were to go south for whatever reason.

I too am interested in the NRA self defense insurance or Armed Citizens, and I would love to hear more insite. I read the Armed Citzens site and they do infact cover $5000 (deductible) for your lawyer to get the process rolling aparently. But after that, it is a gray area to me.

#26 ·
[...] I was wondering if anyone has the NRA self defense insurance [...]
I've had an "umbrella liability" policy with State Farm for many years (originally for reasons other than self-defense liability), but I had wondered if it excluded self-defense liability. I asked NRA about their policy, and studied its provisions a bit. Then I called State Farm, and asked them about my policy (re: self-defense). I decided based on their responses that my existing policy was a bit better than the NRA coverage, so I just kept what I already had. Of course, I'm assuming that what I THOUGHT I heard the State Farm lady say IS correct.

I have recently been researching Lawyers in my area and believe I have found a solid candidate.
I contacted NRA, to try a get a recommendation for a good 2nd-amendment lawyer in my area. The name I was given seems to be out of date...I repeatedly called the number, and it was constantly busy. I also couldn't find his name in the phone directory, or on the web. I tried to get the NRA's response to that, but haven't heard from them.

Re: the NRA's voluminous mailings: Yes, they ARE annoying. But the work they are doing for ALL of us is critical. For example, the 2nd amendment case that is about to be heard before the US Supreme Court was filed by the NRA. There are MANY other examples.

If you can't tolerate their mailings, or their magazine, at least contribute to the NRA-ILA and the NRA-PVF...they both have web pages that make it (fairly) easy. Far too many people, who value their gun rights, aren't pulling their own weight in trying to preserve them.

Mike Fontenot

#27 ·
I don't know a thing about these insurances or such, have done some reading on the links provided, but not enough to make a decent comment on them but I can say, it's refreshed my memory to go look them back up to see what's out there again.

As far as the NRA, it's the biggest game in town for what we need. I don't agree with everything they do or support, but they do have the clout and political backing to ensure we "gun owners" are not left high and dry. Could they be better, sure they could, but heck folks, what organization can't be better? I'll stick with them until something better comes along.

#44 ·
I have been looking high and low for that post from Pax. Glad you found it. I wanted to post it here. The videos alone are almost worth the price of membership. Suggest you follow their advice, take notes and save copies of them. I am going to redo my notes and mail them to myself, so I can have proof of education should I ever need it.

#30 ·
I reading about folk having x, y, z insurance -- including comments about what their salesman "said", from time-to-time.

My question is has anyone experience on the use/need/reimbursement side of such insurance.

I've never had an experience with firearm insurance, but I have had claims with other type of insurance and (with the exception of car insurance) have found that the adjusters have a whole different view of details than the salesmen did.

Anyone had a claim? Did coverage live up to your expectations?

#47 ·
Great info here. I had been wondering about this for awhile but never really took the time to look into it. Now after seeing this thread, I will be having a chat with the boss tonight when she gets home. I like the idea and the quality of service I see from Armed Citizens and I see they have a family plan at $135. Looks like a pretty good deal...

#48 ·
Depends on what kind of insurance is offered: for criminal defense and paying legal fees, or liability for civil suits. I have 2 million liability from my home and car insurer, an umbrella policy, which extends all liability coverage for either car or home by 2 million. An SD shooting would be covered (as part of homeowners I believe) - as long as you were not guilty of murder, manslaughter etc. - in any civil suit. My yearly premium is $150. State Farm is my company. (And they state they cover shootings on the street, not just on your property)

As far as legal fees for legal costs in a criminal proceeding: there's the type of "legal-protection" insurance others have mentioned. Like DWI insurance. Some think this kind of thing is a rip off, since you are not paying year after year for any actual legal representation, but for the possibility of some IF you ever need it. The statistics being overwhelmingly against ever needing it, the legal group is receiving money regularly with only the slightest chance they will ever have to accrue any costs.

I would look carefully at what you get if you ever need such a service from a group. How much will they cover, starting when, if you're found guilty what happens etc. What parts of the procedure will they cover, Grand Jury, collection of evidence, pre-trial motions etc, etc.

#51 ·
I checked out several companies and settled on a company called CHL. It was about $40.00 / year cheaper and for the same coverage. As far as the NRA, I agree with most of the negative comments on here. However, if it were not for them, or should I say it's membership that supports them, we would not enjoy the 2nd amendment rights we were recently granted with CCW (save Illinois). IMO, the best no compromise gun organization is Gun Owners of America (GOA). The majority of your money goes to its intended purposes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.