NRA self defense insurance

This is a discussion on NRA self defense insurance within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please forgive me if this is a beat to death topic, but I will soon be a CPL holder in Michigan and was wondering if ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51

Thread: NRA self defense insurance

  1. #1
    Member Array cmoe25027's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Roseville
    Posts
    33

    NRA self defense insurance

    Please forgive me if this is a beat to death topic, but I will soon be a CPL holder in Michigan and was wondering if anyone has the NRA self defense insurance, also would like to know if anyone has ever had to use it. For $165 a year it seems like it may be good for piece of mind, at least for myself who does not want to have to drain my retirement fund In order to obtain a solid defense attorney. I have recently been researching Lawyers in my area and believe I have found a solid candidate. This particular attorney recommended getting this insurance, just curious how its looked upon on this forum... Thanks in advance!

    Cheers,
    Collin

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    16,226
    I don't recall what "self-defense" insurance is with the NRA, but as a member of that organization, I've had my fill of their "deals" and "benefits." I belonged to the NRA back in the '70s and quit. I rejoined in July 2009 and within a month remembered why I left the first time. Before I received my first magazine, they were send me "membership renewal" mailings. There's an endless stream of NRA junk mail from them, and they have the nerve to ask me to use my stamps to save them money to fight for gun rights." They'd have plenty of money to fight with if they'd cease sending out the "donation" crap.

    While I respect what the NRA is fighting for, there needs to be an overhaul in that organization.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  4. #3
    Ex Member Array Will B. Droopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't recall what "self-defense" insurance is with the NRA, but as a member of that organization, I've had my fill of their "deals" and "benefits." I belonged to the NRA back in the '70s and quit. I rejoined in July 2009 and within a month remembered why I left the first time. Before I received my first magazine, they were send me "membership renewal" mailings. There's an endless stream of NRA junk mail from them, and they have the nerve to ask me to use my stamps to save them money to fight for gun rights." They'd have plenty of money to fight with if they'd cease sending out the "donation" crap.

    While I respect what the NRA is fighting for, there needs to be an overhaul in that organization.

    I agree 100% with the above.

    I am also extremely PO'ed at all of the fraudulent advertisements they permit in their magazine, with these ads used to defraud their very own (more gullible) NRA members. [See my letter to the NRA below, sent a few years back].

    But, unfortunately, they are the only real and effective game in town, which is why I am, and will always be, an NRA member.

    My letter to the NRA:

    "Dear NRA,

    As a long standing member of the National Rifle Association, I would like to know why the NRA permits blatantly deceptive advertisements for useless health products in the American Rifleman magazine?

    A few quick examples:

    a. "Claroxan supplement", which promises to "greatly improve" a person's age-deteriorated vision;

    b. "The Hearing Pill", which guarantees "to reduce noise-induced hearing loss";

    c. "The Reverse Aging Miracle" HGH pill which not only magically makes you younger, but also is a remedy for obesity, insomnia, high blood pressure, impotence, baldness, hemorrhoids, cataracts, angina, fatigue, and "reverses many degenerative disease symptoms".

    There is absolutely no excuse for allowing such reprehensible ads in the American Rifleman. I realize you are doing it just for the advertising revenue, but when you tolerate these types of bogus health products in your magazine, you are not only being a party to a scam that adversely affects people's wellbeing, but you are also permitting unscrupulous companies to rip-off your own NRA members.

    By permitting these ads, it also decreases the apparent veracity and honesty of the NRA not only in the eyes of its own members, but also in the eyes of the media, politicians, and the public.

    Why are these advertisements for sham medical treatment products tolerated in the American Rifleman? "

    -Bill

  5. #4
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    16,226
    I guess they have to have those ads to pay for all there mailings. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets fed up with the NRA.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Jahunga
    Posts
    1,424
    You can opt-out of the mailings and offers if you don't like them.

  7. #6
    Member Array rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    210
    Back to the OP ... I've had the NRA endorsed Personal Liability/SD insurance for awhile -thankfully never had to use it. While not 100%, it's just about the only such insurance available, and (as you noted Collin) it's peace of mind if nothing else. Virtually all other insurance policies that I've heard of will not cover self defense, and especially not cover your legal fees.

    Siafu beat me to it. You can opt out. I did (it's called "do not promote"), and it cut my mailings from the NRA dramatically - and, I think, at least some of the phone calls.
    Steve

  8. #7
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    16,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    You can opt-out of the mailings and offers if you don't like them.
    I have e-mailed and called, and I'm still inundated. Just deleted 6 NRA e-mails that came in this weekend.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  9. #8
    Member Array cmoe25027's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Roseville
    Posts
    33
    Thanks Rainmaker, appreciate the reply!

    As far as the NRA, I may be naive but I am glad to be part of such a large organization with a single themed goal. I can deal with the junkmail and the BS advertising as long as I can do it with my pistols safely unconfiscated! Now show me some widespread corruption or some other shadyness and I will be quick to withdraw my support.

    Cheers,
    Collin

  10. #9
    Member Array Munch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    217
    Hmmm.... not having that problem this time. I was also a member of the NRA/ILA and got mail about twice a week. They seem to be much better than they were before. Another thing to keep in mind is that the NRA is a non-profit organization so at the beginning of the fiscal year a certain portion of the budget must be marked for advertising or mailings etc. Non-profit groups cannot shuffle monies around and have to be profit neutral also. I work at a hospital that is non-profit...you should see the money they waste as to not have it left on the books at years end.

    Privacy Policy
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

    http://carniakcustom.com/

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Array StevePVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,045
    All it took was asking one time and they quit calling. Emails continue but I haven't spent the time to go through the opt-out routine yet. I usually just glance at them the delete.

  12. #11
    Member Array Munch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    I agree 100% with the above.

    I am also extremely PO'ed at all of the fraudulent advertisements they permit in their magazine, with these ads used to defraud their very own (more gullible) NRA members. [See my letter to the NRA below, sent a few years back].

    But, unfortunately, they are the only real and effective game in town, which is why I am, and will always be, an NRA member.

    My letter to the NRA:

    "Dear NRA,

    As a long standing member of the National Rifle Association, I would like to know why the NRA permits blatantly deceptive advertisements for useless health products in the American Rifleman magazine?

    A few quick examples:

    a. "Claroxan supplement", which promises to "greatly improve" a person's age-deteriorated vision;

    b. "The Hearing Pill", which guarantees "to reduce noise-induced hearing loss";

    c. "The Reverse Aging Miracle" HGH pill which not only magically makes you younger, but also is a remedy for obesity, insomnia, high blood pressure, impotence, baldness, hemorrhoids, cataracts, angina, fatigue, and "reverses many degenerative disease symptoms".

    There is absolutely no excuse for allowing such reprehensible ads in the American Rifleman. I realize you are doing it just for the advertising revenue, but when you tolerate these types of bogus health products in your magazine, you are not only being a party to a scam that adversely affects people's wellbeing, but you are also permitting unscrupulous companies to rip-off your own NRA members.

    By permitting these ads, it also decreases the apparent veracity and honesty of the NRA not only in the eyes of its own members, but also in the eyes of the media, politicians, and the public.

    Why are these advertisements for sham medical treatment products tolerated in the American Rifleman? "

    -Bill
    Claroxan seems to contain a usual list of occular benficial ingredients...so it's a clone/version of other otc products.

    The Hearing Pill too has been given 2 U.S. patents that show efficacy...the abstract is below.

    United States Patent: 6649621

    The Reverse Aging Miracle You are more than likely correct about this product...HgH does provide these benefits but I doubt this product contains any, probably just the precursors. HgH therapy is around $500.00 to $1000.00 a month for injections. And then the effects are rather shortlived.

    These products do appear like something Billy Mays would be hollaring about...Hey that may explain hearing loss?

    That said, I too would also like to see ads in any NRA publication that regard the shooting industry...However "eyes" and "ears" seem to be in that category.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

    http://carniakcustom.com/

  13. #12
    Senior Member Array Avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    nowhere, usa
    Posts
    713
    I dont really get all the negative NRA posts on here. I have been a member for a LONG time and still get the junk mail and requests all the time. I dont really mind. I read the magazines, and apply for the contests (on occasion). I renew my membership yearly only because I really cant afford the lifetime membership. I am a Certified NRA Instructor. I guess I just dont see why someone wouldnt like the NRA junk mail. Even though, before I open the envelope, I know what it is. But I still flip through everything. The NRA has its purpose, even though you all might not see it. I have met some people that were members and dropped out because for two years they paid their dues, threw away the junk mail and magazines without even reading them, never shopped at the NRA site, or had anything to do with the NRA. And then, they tell me that the NRA didnt have anything to offer them and that is why they dropped out. hmmm.... The NRA is not here for our entertainment, our time, or easy reading. The NRA is here to protect your way of life, your right to keep and bear arms. If you dont like the junk mail, then opt out. If you dont like the NRA then leave, no one is forcing you to stay. But when the day comes (and I hope it dont) that the government takes your guns and abolishes the second amendment, I hope you can say you did everything in your power to stop it. YES, the NRA needs us. No, they dont need to change a thing or "overhaul" anything.

  14. #13
    Ex Member Array Will B. Droopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    Claroxan seems to contain a usual list of occular benficial ingredients...so it's a clone/version of other otc products.

    The Hearing Pill too has been given 2 U.S. patents that show efficacy...the abstract is below.

    United States Patent: 6649621

    The Reverse Aging Miracle You are more than likely correct about this product...HgH does provide these benefits but I doubt this product contains any, probably just the precursors. HgH therapy is around $500.00 to $1000.00 a month for injections. And then the effects are rather shortlived.

    These products do appear like something Billy Mays would be hollaring about...Hey that may explain hearing loss?

    That said, I too would also like to see ads in any NRA publication that regard the shooting industry...However "eyes" and "ears" seem to be in that category.
    Hi Munch,

    I won't hijack this thread (well, maybe for a second), but herbal "medicine" hawkers love pushing non-FDA approved herbal supplements to innocent folks, and intimating in their advertising that such supplements are effective drugs, when in fact they are actually just untested foods (as defined by the FDA); especially in the strengths and chemical compositions they are sold in. (Just look at the small print -- but few people bother to do so.)

    None of these miracle "drugs" needs any true testing whatsoever, no matter what the advertising hype may say.

    It's all now just called "advertising hype"; but hopefully in the future it will be called "advertising fraud".

    -Bill

  15. #14
    Member Array cmoe25027's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Roseville
    Posts
    33
    Bill,

    I don't think you need to worry about hijacking this thread, it's done been jacked!

    Cheer,
    Collin

  16. #15
    Member Array Bigpoppa48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    484
    Concealed Handgun License Protection Plan(CHLPP is a legal services membership organization for concealed handgun licence/permit holders) Available in Fifty States.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. CCW Insurance? Or Self Defense Insurace
    By markp in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: December 6th, 2013, 06:11 PM
  2. Self Defense Fiscal Strategy and Insurance
    By mfcmb in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 5th, 2012, 03:37 AM
  3. Insurance for CIVIL liability suit in Self Defense Injury or Death
    By Bag Man in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: October 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
  4. Self defense insurance
    By Stuart in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: January 15th, 2007, 04:31 PM
  5. Renter's Insurance and Home defense.
    By djturnz in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: October 12th, 2006, 07:25 PM

Search tags for this page

ccw insurance
,
claroxan scam
,

concealed carry insurance

,
concealed carry insurance nra
,
nra carry insurance
,

nra ccw insurance

,
nra ccw insurance policies
,
nra conceal carry insurance
,

nra concealed carry insurance

,
nra insurance concealed carry
,
nra insurance self defense
,

nra self defense insurance

Click on a term to search for related topics.