Gun Storage at home

This is a discussion on Gun Storage at home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by liljake82 I don't kid proof my guns, I gun proof my kid! My daughter has been arround guns since birth. She knows ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Gun Storage at home

Quote Originally Posted by liljake82 View Post
    I don't kid proof my guns, I gun proof my kid! My daughter has been arround guns since birth. She knows not to mess with them, but she know all she has to do is ask if she wants to. She knows to keep her friends away from them, if I forget to put them up when her friends come over. .
    This is similar to my system, my girls are both familiar with weapons.
    But expecting them to keep friends away from them is silly. And dangerous.
    1. Peer pressure is powerful, don't bet your life, your daughters, or her friends lives, on a kids power to resist peer pressure.
    2. Even if your kids can resist peer pressure, what if a friend finds the weapon when your daughter is not looking, or is in the other room? And we are not just talking accidental shootings here, theft as well. Kids steal.

A cheap locking file cabinet or locker (<$100) would make a serious improvement to this situation. It would not stop theft, but would slow a kid down enough to be discovered. For handguns, a very workable lock box can be created from an ammo bin for <$20 including the bin, hardware and a lock.

Reconsider your situation.

2. Remove Ads

For the first time in 30 years, during the past six months or so, before and after getting my CCW license, a gun buddy and I have been buying new modern handguns for fun, he competing with with me and egging me on. Now, I have about a dozen good guns, unsecured and unlocked within my childless spouseless house. At least they are good enough to steal. No, they are not insured against costs and losses or theft. So, I guess and confess that I ought to insure them or at least buy a good big sturdy heavy gun safe or locker with lock.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    A cheap locking file cabinet or locker (<$100) would make a serious improvement to this situation. It would not stop theft, but would slow a kid down enough to be discovered. For handguns, a very workable lock box can be created from an ammo bin for <$20 including the bin, hardware and a lock.

+1. Kids are capable of amazing things, sometimes not good ones. Even good kids can screw up or have a friend who is curious. You can get a cheap gun safe for $100. That's far cheaper than dealing with theft or accidents.

FWIW, I have a friend that managed a restaurant and he mentioned they were throwing away their safe because it was broken. I asked if I could have it and he said sure. I managed to repair it and now I have a nice big safe for nothing. This is the second time this has happened, but the first safe I picked up this way was not repairable.

Also keep in mind that even a cheap safe that's hidden well is far safer than a good safe out in the open and not bolted down.

So let's not hear excuses. Let's hear about your new safe.

Az

1. Peer pressure is powerful, don't bet your life, your daughters, or her friends lives, on a kids power to resist peer pressure.
    2. Even if your kids can resist peer pressure, what if a friend finds the weapon when your daughter is not looking, or is in the other room? And we are not just talking accidental shootings here, theft as well. Kids steal.

Guns are kept in my bedroom which is off limits to my daughters friends. I grew up in a house that always had at least one loaded gun and there were never any kids playing with guns let alone accidents. Heck by the time I was 12 I had my guns in a rack in my room with ammo in the drawer.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

When at home I keep the gun on until I get ready for bed then it goes into this safe which is bolted to a high closet shelf in my bedroom. The door to the safe is left open at night then closed and locked when I pull a gun out and put in on in the morning.

Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Not to mention the costs of a lawsuit after little friend shoots self/other. Way more than a safe.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    For the first time in 30 years, during the past six months or so, before and after getting my CCW license, a gun buddy and I have been buying new modern handguns for fun, he competing with with me and egging me on. Now, I have about a dozen good guns, unsecured and unlocked within my childless spouseless house. At least they are good enough to steal. No, they are not insured against costs and losses or theft. So, I guess and confess that I ought to insure them or at least buy a good big sturdy heavy gun safe or locker with lock.
    In some states, I think you are liable for unsecured firearms. Liable may not be the right word, but they must be secured from theft.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I have two wall safes, one upstairs in the master closet and the other downstairs inside another closet. I store all my none carry pistols in one or the other along with the ammo, with the exception of my wife's panic pistol. We have no children to worry about unless our little niece stays the weekend, then all are locked away minus the ones I'm waring.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    In some states, I think you are liable for unsecured firearms. Liable may not be the right word, but they must be secured from theft.
    When applying for my permit in NY one of the questions was specifically where the gun will be stored or secured when not on my person.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    When applying for my permit in NY one of the questions was specifically where the gun will be stored or secured when not on my person.
    Ack...not too invasive huh?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Ack...not too invasive huh?
    It's not that bad compared to other things...

After you put 5 on your permit you could be subject to inspection to make sure they are stored safely.

I believe that's just for my county and I'm not sure if it's enforced at all, but it's right there in the documentation they hand out.

LLT
    I don't kid proof my guns, I gun proof my kid! My daughter has been arround guns since birth. She knows not to mess with them, but she know all she has to do is ask if she wants to. She knows to keep her friends away from them, if I forget to put them up when her friends come over. No they aren't safe from theft but I can't afford a safe. Even if I had a safe my defensive guns wouldn't be in it.
    Not to be a jerk, but the "statistics" say that the vast majority of child-related gun incidents occur in a home like yours. You can't control what goes on in your home when you're not there, no matter how prepared you think your kids are.

But, I digress, it appears to be working for you and here's hoping it will continue to.

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Maybe I am the redneck wierdo, but IMO the only "safe" for guns in the house that works is diligently teaching the kids to be safe around guns. I have lots of kids in my house and never worry about them because they ALL know how to handle a firearm.

That said, most everything I have is kept in the safe. My EDC stays on me until bedtime then goes by the bed. However, the HD shotgun is kept with a full mag and empty chamber, unlocked with the safety on, sitting on a rack in the bedroom. It's up high enough for small visitors to be unable to get to, but accessible to my wife or me in a hurry.

My philosophy is that if I am going to need a firearm I am going to need it NOW. Not in 90 seconds when I can get it unlocked. So I can't keep them locked down like some people do. That to me means that my kids need to know guns inside and out. I train them by shooting with them, hunting with them, letting them help me clean and inspect my firearms, and continually and vigilantly teaching them the four rules.

IMO that is the only path that works.
    I agree with this, I have a gun in every room hidden from plain view and I carry while in my house. When not on me it is near me usually on the dresser. I brought my kids up shooting from a very early age. They were taught to respect guns and they saw the damage they were capable of. So a gun was never somethinbg to go play with. When other kids visited the guns were locked up. My kids are 18 and 16 now and they each have their own handgun in their room. My son has just signed up for the Air Force as a MP. But every parent must make their own decision on this issue.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Guns are kept in my bedroom which is off limits to my daughters friends. I grew up in a house that always had at least one loaded gun and there were never any kids playing with guns let alone accidents. Heck by the time I was 12 I had my guns in a rack in my room with ammo in the drawer.
    As did I. But, all of my friends as a child were hunters and shooters and had a sense of firearms.

I think in this day and age, counting on a room to be 'off limits' to a kid is dangerous, and not just your kid, you are counting on other kids to respect 'off limits'. But you will do as you like. Good luck. Because luck is what you are counting on.

Thanks. I am lazy. Do guns have to be secured from theft inside childless spouseless houses in Ohio? Who knows? Do I have to look it up myself?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links