Gun Storage at home

This is a discussion on Gun Storage at home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by liljake82 I don't kid proof my guns, I gun proof my kid! My daughter has been arround guns since birth. She knows ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Gun Storage at home

Quote Originally Posted by liljake82 View Post
    I don't kid proof my guns, I gun proof my kid! My daughter has been arround guns since birth. She knows not to mess with them, but she know all she has to do is ask if she wants to. She knows to keep her friends away from them, if I forget to put them up when her friends come over. No they aren't safe from theft but I can't afford a safe. Even if I had a safe my defensive guns wouldn't be in it.
    Guns are kept in my bedroom which is off limits to my daughters friends. I grew up in a house that always had at least one loaded gun and there were never any kids playing with guns let alone accidents. Heck by the time I was 12 I had my guns in a rack in my room with ammo in the drawer.
    I would venture to guess that in many of the instances of accidental shootings involving children, the adult gun owner in the home shared your POV. Tragic really.

Expensive safes are not the only way to secure firearms from theft and/or unauthorized access. Before I could afford a safe, I installed a deadbolt on a coat closet door. The firearms contained therein were secured with a heavy duty cable, an eyebolt through the wall and the necessary locks. Those little cable locks that come with firearms came in really handy securing individual firearms to the big cable and rendering the actions of said guns inoperable. Simple and inexpensive!

I now have a Sentry fire-resistant safe. All of my firearms are secured within with the exception of my EDC.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    As did I. But, all of my friends as a child were hunters and shooters and had a sense of firearms.

I think in this day and age, counting on a room to be 'off limits' to a kid is dangerous, and not just your kid, you are counting on other kids to respect 'off limits'. But you will do as you like. Good luck. Because luck is what you are counting on.
    Do you all lock up your power tools, kitchen knives, scissors, electrical appliances, household cleaners, and the like? Maybe it's different for me as I live in a small apartment and can keep a close eye on kids. If someone gets hurt in the next 11 years I'll eat my words, but we havn't even had to remind anyone of the rules.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

NONE of my semi-automatics are cocked, locked and loaded, because I will have enough time, if not the mind, to wake up enough to grab them and rack back the slides. This little revolver next to me is another story.

Do you all lock up your power tools, kitchen knives, scissors, electrical appliances, household cleaners, and the like?
    - All my tools are put away. Kitchen utensils and household cleaners are in child proof doors. But any of those are not the same as a loaded handgun. They all have practical uses, which most kids understand. Not to mention that every house has them. Not every house has a gun and the minute kids become curious, it can be disastrous.

Maybe it's different for me as I live in a small apartment and can keep a close eye on kids. If someone gets hurt in the next 11 years I'll eat my words, but we havn't even had to remind anyone of the rules.
    - IMO, kid's safety isn't a competition or a "I told you so" moment. Safes are very inexpensive. You can open a safe like a GunVault in seconds. Why take a gamble?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - All my tools are put away. Kitchen utensils and household cleaners are in child proof doors. But any of those are not the same as a loaded handgun. They all have practical uses, which most kids understand. Not to mention that every house has them. Not every house has a gun and the minute kids become curious, it can be disastrous.

- IMO, kid's safety isn't a competition or a "I told you so" moment. Safes are very inexpensive. You can open a safe like a GunVault in seconds. Why take a gamble?
    YES, so true. When I had my small child living in my home, everything that was dangerous (drugs, chemicals, sharp knives, etc) was locked behind child-proof cabinets, with guns being unloaded and locked away too.

No matter how much they are trained and warned, KIDS WILL BE KIDS!!!! That's just the way it is; no matter how much we may think they have common sense, they simply aren't old enough yet to have accrued very much of it...

-Bill
    Last edited by Will B. Droopy; February 17th, 2010 at 01:02 AM.

Do you all lock up your power tools, kitchen knives, scissors, electrical appliances, household cleaners, and the like? Maybe it's different for me as I live in a small apartment and can keep a close eye on kids.
    Actually I treat these type things the very same way that I treat weapons. I began training for these types of items at an early age, and while they presented a danger, they were locked and stored away.
    Difference is every parent teach kids not to drink Drano. Some parents are so scared of weapons, that they teach their kids nothing about them. Add to this the allure and attraction of weapons based on TV/Movies/Video games and it is too much for some kids to resist.
    Last edited by maddyfish; February 16th, 2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar

I have a safe, it's nothing special but I can lock my pistol away when needed. It cost $79.00. If you skip Buying 2-3 boxes of ammo you have the $$ right there.

Sled

Not a single one of my guns are locked up. Its just me and the wife so I have no worry of kids getting into them. A locked gun is a useless gun
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theman9mm View Post
    Not a single one of my guns are locked up. Its just me and the wife so I have no worry of kids getting into them. A locked gun is a useless gun
    What happens when someone breaks into your home and your guns are easily accessible to them. Most home burglaries are less than 10 minutes in duration. If your guns are not secured, they most likely will all be gone by the time the cops or you happen to show up.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Darn it. I finally have some good-enough guns that are worth stealing! I guess and confess that it's time to buy a safe within which to lock them up. I'd hate to pay to preplace them, if I could.

All weapons except those being carried stay in the safe. If they are out of the safe and not being carried, they are cable locked. I either carry on my person around the house or it is on the very top of the china cabinet (10 feet from my recliner) within sight. At night, my carry gun is my home defense gun and it is in the top dresser drawer ready to go (about 5 feet away). If I sleep in my recliner, it is tucked in the chair next to my strong side leg. I need a nightstand gun vault.

I need one of those console vaults for my truck too.
    Last edited by BugDude; February 18th, 2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: add console vault
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I keep 2 loaded handguns in my gunvault which is bolted to the floor between my nightstand and bed. No one knows the combo but myself and the misses.

All the rest of my guns are locked in the my safe downstairs..

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Darn it. I finally have some good-enough guns that are worth stealing! I guess and confess that it's time to buy a safe within which to lock them up. I'd hate to pay to preplace them, if I could.
    Buy Insurance - and a safe.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    In some states, I think you are liable for unsecured firearms. Liable may not be the right word, but they must be secured from theft.
    I have also heard this. It seems to be if the State can claim that my locked doors and windows are not secured enough then they can also claim that any safe you might own is not good enough either.

My firearms and knives are secured by the fact that they are inside my house which is not open to the general public.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Our pistols are locked in the gun safe during the day and within reach at night. Sometimes we leave them where they are during the night during the day also, kids are grown up, when they visit, guns go into lock up.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links