Gun Storage at home

This is a discussion on Gun Storage at home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Small (Gun) safe from Cheaper than Dirt. Both handguns are in there. Long guns in bedroom one is in a locked carry case the shotgun ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Gun Storage at home

PM
    Small (Gun) safe from Cheaper than Dirt. Both handguns are in there. Long guns in bedroom one is in a locked carry case the shotgun is in a padded gun bag. The Handguns are loaded that is why they are locked. Ammo is with rifle that is why it is locked the shotgun you would have to look for the ammo therefore not locked.

I have a nine year old and have carried since he was 7. Kansas has only had CC for three years.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seaaircapt View Post
    Ladies and Gentleman,

Good afternoon. I am curious how you folks secure your weapon at home so that it is out of reach of kids / unauthorized persons. I want to be safe and do this the right way. I have a daughter who is my world (to protect her and my wife is why I feel the need to be armed). Do you guys use a cable lock and a keypad lock box, or a safe ?? Please share your ideas and yuor solutions to securing your weapon at home. What do LEO's do that have kids ??
    None of the above.

I have taught my daughter since she she was old enough that she can look, but no touch unless daddy says it's OK. She is quite curious, but I have faith in her that from what I taught her, she knows what they do and why she can't touch them. I have tested this theory with air guns, left the room and watched her, and she won't touch them and will even tell me it's sitting there. When I have them out cleaning or what have you, I involve her and show her all the parts and will let her handle them (unloaded and firing pin removed of course). All while instructing her how to handle it safely, with an extra emphasis on touching them ONLY when daddy is around. If she want's to see them all she has to do is ask, she has before and I'll get them out to show her. I find if you take away that curiosity by involving them when you are handling them, that the curiosity level is not there when she sees it sitting on daddy's desk when I get up to get a coke or something.

Hiding guns from kids is when they get curious and accidents happen because they want to know what it is and what it does. If you nip it in the bud and show them what they do, and allow them to be involved in cleanings and range trips it takes the curiosity factor out of the equation.

Does that mean I leave guns all over the place? Of course not. All my long guns are unloaded in the safe. I keep an extra handgun hidden in my house out of reach and one on my hip. My son is still a toddler and I'm careful of him still... I plan to do the same with him as I did my daughter.

Education is key, not hiding them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Education is key, not hiding them.
    - I agree 100% on your post about education. I don't hide my guns either, but all of them are locked up in easily accessible safes. My 5 year old is well behaved, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if she decided not to listen to me one day or had an accident. I don't trust my 2 year old at all.

I got loaded pistols everywhere, and girls that no not to touch them...PF-9 is on me or by me, other loaded pistols are out of reach and hidden. long guns and my .38 are in my closet safe except a 10-22 which i keep unloaded but with a 30 round mag out of reach.......I dont keep my hidden pistol chambered.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

If I had boys I would probly be alot more worried about securing my ammo and guns. As i cant even get the girls to shoot a .22
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:

Safe, gunVault, night stand or on my person.

Lightbulb

Apparently, the few folks on this forum who don't lock their guns up when small children are present, somehow believe that their kids will listen and obey their oh-so-convincing "don't touch any gun" speech; these same parents seemingly believing that such young children will have the wisdom and foresight to actually understand the horrible and tragic consequences if they disobey that edict.

But heck, what we should do is use these exact same parents to straiten out all of America's numerous youth problems; these wonderful men and women can be used to convince all teenage kids that they shouldn't get pregnant, use drugs, drink and drive, join gangs, have relations before 18, shoplift, etc.

WOW!! All of America's problems could be solved by these "wonder parents" overnight! Let's go for it! Let's hire these incredible mothers and fathers right now to turn the USA around! YAY!!

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    Apparently, the few folks on this forum who don't lock their guns up when small children are present, somehow believe that their kids will listen and obey their oh-so-convincing "don't touch any gun" speech; these same parents seemingly believing that such young children will have the wisdom and foresight to actually understand the horrible and tragic consequences if they disobey that edict.

But heck, what we should do is use these exact same parents to straiten out all of America's numerous youth problems; these wonderful men and women can be used to convince all teenage kids that they shouldn't get pregnant, use drugs, drink and drive, join gangs, have relations before 18, shoplift, etc.

WOW!! All of America's problems could be solved by these "wonder parents" overnight! Let's go for it! Let's hire these incredible mothers and fathers right now to turn the USA around! YAY!!

-Bill

My kids know that playing with guns can get you killed, they also know if they grab my truck keys and tear out down the road that it could get them killed they also know that if the find a lighter or matches and start a fire that it could get them killed. they also know if they are riding their four wheelers and run into a tree going really fast it can get them killed. they also know if they decided to try to juggle steak knifes it could get them cut. they also know that if they take a bunch of pills out of a bottle etc etc etc. they have been taught...no guarantees but i don't lock up knifes and lighters etc etc.....but my kids are 12 and 9 not 3 and 4. "EDUCATION" and a healthy fear of all things dangerous have been instilled in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post

-Bill
    +1

It's not just small kids either Bill. Teens (which you also mentioned) are motivated differently, but just as dangerously....and they also have friends that complicate matters. (And also werent raised with the same gun education).

If "education and training" were so effective, we wouldnt have the sadly enormously high numbers of teen driver car accidents and deaths. Or small child pool drownings.

I was a 'good kid, never in trouble' and still I did lots of dangerous things my parents taught me not to do...I was just lucky...I never got caught or had an accident.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    they also know if they decided to try to juggle steak knifes it could get them cut. they also know that if they take a bunch of pills out of a bottle etc etc etc. they have been taught...no guarantees but i don't lock up knifes and lighters etc etc.....but my kids are 12 and 9 not 3 and 4. "EDUCATION" and a healthy fear of all things dangerous have been instilled in them.
    - I was a kid who knew knives were very dangerous, but it didn't stop me from doing a lot of really moronic things since I thought I was invincible. My parents didn't even know how many knives (butterfly, etc) I had when I was 10.

I also had a lot of friends who's parents did not lock up their liquor cabinets either. I can tell you that there were quite the parties when they went out of town. How much more dangerous can that be?

I have a tall safe bolted to the wall and floor for long guns and a few handguns. I have another small safe bolted to the floor for other handguns and knives. I always have a handgun on my person until I go to bed. Then I put that hand gun in my deluxe gunvault. It'll provide the quickest access during the night while keeping my little ones from getting their hands on it.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

AzB
    Seems like a simple thing to secure your guns. I can't imagine what life would be like if one of my kids or their friends got a hold of one of my guns and hurt or killed themselves or someone else.

And yes, my kids are educated about guns and shoot them under supervision.

It's a little like putting a small child in a carseat. You may drive thousands of miles with no incident, but all it takes it one time. And it may not be anything you can see coming or even be your fault. So you take that extra step just for that extra bit of insurance. So why not lock up the guns?

The other benefit is that it may keep a gun out of the hands of a criminal as well.

Az

I agree...to a point

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Maybe I am the redneck wierdo, but IMO the only "safe" for guns in the house that works is diligently teaching the kids to be safe around guns. I have lots of kids in my house and never worry about them because they ALL know how to handle a firearm.

That said, most everything I have is kept in the safe. My EDC stays on me until bedtime then goes by the bed. However, the HD shotgun is kept with a full mag and empty chamber, unlocked with the safety on, sitting on a rack in the bedroom. It's up high enough for small visitors to be unable to get to, but accessible to my wife or me in a hurry.

My philosophy is that if I am going to need a firearm I am going to need it NOW. Not in 90 seconds when I can get it unlocked. So I can't keep them locked down like some people do. That to me means that my kids need to know guns inside and out. I train them by shooting with them, hunting with them, letting them help me clean and inspect my firearms, and continually and vigilantly teaching them the four rules.

IMO that is the only path that works.
    Ya my 3 kids are allowed to handle my guns ONLY when I give them to them and they are mostly aware of the dangers but not keeping them out of their reach is asking for trouble. At least kids as young as mine(7 5 and 2yr.) All my guns exept for my carry piece are locked in cabinet with a key kept in one and only one known location that my wife and I are able to get to in a matter of seconds. This is my opinion but from my experince kids can and will shock you by breaking the rules when you least expect it. Don't take unneccesary risks because the media will use every gun accident as ammo to destroy our 2nd ammendment right every chance they get.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    If I ever have kids, my plan is the same as what my dad did: keep a loaded pistol in a quick-open drawer safe in the nightstand. Everything else is unloaded and in a large safe downstairs.

Training the kids is ALSO important. I'm a big proponent of the theory of "anytime you want to see them, ask" and then actually following through if they do.

This adds additional protection for your kids in the event that they come across a firearm at someone else's house, figure out your safe combination, or whatever. It also is good for when they get into their teen years and may have access in other ways.

You use a layered defense for your home to protect your family from intruders, and you should also use a layered defense to protect your children from accidents. Layer #1 is controlling physical access when possible. Layer #2 is training, in case #1 fails.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    My kids know that playing with guns can get you killed, they also know if they grab my truck keys and tear out down the road that it could get them killed they also know that if the find a lighter or matches and start a fire that it could get them killed. they also know if they are riding their four wheelers and run into a tree going really fast it can get them killed. they also know if they decided to try to juggle steak knifes it could get them cut. they also know that if they take a bunch of pills out of a bottle etc etc etc. they have been taught...no guarantees but i don't lock up knifes and lighters etc etc.....but my kids are 12 and 9 not 3 and 4. "EDUCATION" and a healthy fear of all things dangerous have been instilled in them.

DIXIETWISTER, I am very thankful that your children are alright, and that they have not hurt themselves by disobeying your sage safety instructions.

However, as 9MMare so wisely points out, the motivations for older children ARE quite different than small children, but equally as dangerous: while a 3 or a 4 year old may not realize that something is dangerous, and thus gets himself killed or injured by knives/guns/drugs/etc. due to total ignorance; an older child of 10 or 11 is usually injured/killed not by the complete ignorance of the dangers -- even though 10 year olds are not fully cognizant of the end result of such actions (i.e., severe injury or death), but they are injured/killed because the older child is either compelled to touch that gun, or dared to grab that knife, or curious about the effects of that drug.

As 9MMare also stated, I too was a 'model' child, and yet I most assuredly played around with friend's guns, used/made small explosives, experimented with certain drugs, fooled around with big knives, etc.

My parent's forewarnings on safety and the dangers involved were all quite meaningless to me because, while I realized the dangers of "playing with fire", I wasn't fully aware that I -- who as a ten year old was the center of the known universe, and thus indestructible -- could ever be injured or killed.

I'm afraid that you are imagining that children think as adults do. Sorry, but you are completely incorrect in that assumption: Kids will be kids, and there is nothing you or I can do about that; but we can safely secure our firearms from those little prying hands…

-Bill

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links