Gun Storage at home

This is a discussion on Gun Storage at home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ladies and Gentleman, Good afternoon. I am curious how you folks secure your weapon at home so that it is out of reach of kids ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Gun Storage at home

Gun Storage at home

Ladies and Gentleman,

Good afternoon. I am curious how you folks secure your weapon at home so that it is out of reach of kids / unauthorized persons. I want to be safe and do this the right way. I have a daughter who is my world (to protect her and my wife is why I feel the need to be armed). Do you guys use a cable lock and a keypad lock box, or a safe ?? Please share your ideas and yuor solutions to securing your weapon at home. What do LEO's do that have kids ??
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I have my pistol and the trigger group from my shotgun locked in a small safe hidden in my home. Can it be stolen by a determined thief, yes, but my goal is to prevent it from being used on my family in my home, while allowing easy access if I need it when things go bump in the night.

My shotgun has a cable lock through the action in my closet. My handgun is on me at all times so that I can control it. When I am asleep it is under my pillow.
    One Man's Trash is another Man's Wife.
    A gun is like an abortion. When you are unprotected and get surprised, you always want one.

My wife and I use a matching set of these Gunvaults, one on each side of our bed.

Welcome to the forum.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

I have a fire safe that is just inside a closet by the front door recessed in the wall that I keep two guns inside along with all the important documents. I keep whatever gun I am going to carryin it.
    | Sentry® Safe | DA3831 FIRE-SAFE® Electronic Safe

I have this safe in my closet with all my long guns. It is only for theft and is not fireproof.
    Stack-on 19 Gun Deluxe Convertible Gun Safe - Dick's Sporting Goods

I have this safe mounted right above it and I keep my G23 inside it and can access it in less than 3 seconds if needed.
    - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I have a 14 year old son and a 19 year old son so I always keep my guns put up at all times.

I know the main safe is not fireproof but I had an additional modifier put on my home insurance that ups the insurance from $2500 to $5000 for $9 a year. Minus the two guns that I have in the fire safe the $5000 would cover most of the guns.

I keep my GLOCK 19 in a Homak nightstand lock box. Other guns are locked in the safe. The Homak box will not stop a determined thief but all I rely on it for is to keep my gun out of little hands in the home. If I'm awake and not taking a shower it is on my hip.

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I keep my handgun on my persons untill bed time.. then its to the nightstand....

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper2501 View Post
    My wife and I use a matching set of these Gunvaults, one on each side of our bed.

Aaaahhhh romance......
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I have this, bolted down in a cabinet in the bedroom...out of sight but not especially well-hidden.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=99901

And my gun is only secured if I leave home without it. No kids to worry about. Otherwise it is out in the same place all the time where I can access it quickly (in my saferoom/bedroom.)
    Last edited by 9MMare; February 15th, 2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: forgot to add link
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I use a GunVault Deluxe with a cable lock around the frame of my bed. As other have mentioned, I'm not as worried bout thieves as I am about my daughters playing with them.

I personally only have my M&P .40c, which is always on my person when I'm awake, and within arms reach when asleep. You may wish to secure yours differently depending on how many you have, and I also don't have small children in the house, so that's just me. I can afford to keep mine unsecured and at arms length at night.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I use the Gunvault mini-pistol safe and I keep a loaded revolver in there. The pistol safe stays on top of a dresser that's a little shorter than me, and located next to our bed. My wife or I should be able to get at it in a couple seconds, and I think it's the best way to keep my kids out of there while still being able to defend all of us.

Gun safe which stores most guns, actions removed or locked if any one unauthorized should gain access to interior of safe. Gun Vault next to bed for quick access for the handguns I keep outside of big safe.

We don't have children or unauthorized persons at our home, so my wife and I use a combo trigger lock* (painted orange) on our UNLOADED 12Ga, and unsecured S&W .38spls in each of our nightstands (Two Gunvault Pistol safes would be a much better idea, but the cost...).

-Bill

*Never use such a trigger lock on a loaded gun, as trying to remove the lock can also pull the trigger, causing a ND.

We have two safes...one short one tall, all guns and ammo are inside.
    Away in a closet, we do not worry when little ones come around, as the only gun at that point is on my person.
    Safes provide gun storage as well as all other valuables...they provide some comfort when out of the home.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links