Paranoid, or prepared? - Page 2

Paranoid, or prepared?

This is a discussion on Paranoid, or prepared? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is odd what some people have. My neighbor has an impressive supply of canned goods. But had no method of opening them should the ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paranoid, or prepared?

It is odd what some people have. My neighbor has an impressive supply of canned goods. But had no method of opening them should the power go off.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    It is odd what some people have. My neighbor has an impressive supply of canned goods. But had no method of opening them should the power go off.
    That's funny, but not, but oh so true. You, we have to be able to fall back on basic camping and hunting skills. Heat, water, cooking stove, ect. it's a long list but can get you through at least for awhile. If you prepare.

paranoid?

well, i getting too old to be rambo or a wolverine fighting the commies on our soil. i am old enough though, to realize that things aren't like they were in the past. major issues are jobs (lack of), drugs and a general lack of common decency.

so, i am prepared in that i practice a lot and carry(colt 45). i am aware of my surroundings and always keep an eagle eye out. i will not go into a store without looking in first and as far as going out of my way to be in a questionable area (whatever that is)-i am just more careful.

i live about 10 miles from a town in which there was a triple murder (made national headlines)of a mom and her 2 daughters in a home invasion. the dad was left for dead and survived--they lived in an upper middle class neighborhood and were targeted by to cons paroled early-so paranoid?? no just preparing

I don't believe you are paranoid, being prepared for any bad situation is a good thing.

Go and do primitive camping and see how it would really be like to live without electricity, gas, water and creature comforts. Our church went with the kids last summer and there were adults who accompanied us that said it felt like they lived through a disaster. They couldn't just get up go turn on lights, open the fridge and that sort of thing.

Their experience was an eye opener to say the least.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

As others have said, when it impacts your ability to live a normal life, it is paranoid.

I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as too much ammo. As far as survival some medical supplies, a good knife, an ax, and some matches will keep you going for a good long time. Read about the mountian men sometime. The lived on what they could carry themselves and pack on a mule. As long as everything has a use I don't think it's overboard. As far as a TEOTWAWKI situation, I don't plan on staying in town and my dog is too small to carry a tub full of canned goods.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Nothing wrong in being prepared. We too, have a stash of goodies just in case we are stranded "in home" because if infrastructure failure, due to earthquake, fire, etc. (Note: some stuff we rotate to keep relative fresh, such as canned goods, matches, batteries, etc).

Kyle
    Be responsible for your own actions.
    ---
    http://www.calguns.net/

Quote Originally Posted by BmDubb View Post
    Ok, so I am just looking for some opinions. My wife says I'm a little too " Over Prepared ". To me, I just think it's preparing for something that could happen. I'm a firm believer in " It's better to have it, and not need it, than to need it and not have it ".

Ok, so anyways... I've got a walk in closet, which I use solely for extreme situations. In this closet, I've got knives hanging on the wall. Rubbermaid tubs full of ammo, tubs full of first aid stuff, tubs of canned good, and dry rations, Batteries, Matches, bottled water, flashlights, some clothes, guns, fire starters, stuff like that.

I told my wife I have collected all of this stuff, because noone knows what will happen in our lifetime. We could have a natural disaster where people go crazy, our government falls apart, war, anything... I know its unlikely it will happen, but I feel better knowing if it does, I will be somewhat prepared.

Basically, from the outside looking in, what do you guys think? Am I being paranoid? It's not like Im breaking the bank on this stuff.. It's just when I go shopping, and I have some extra $$ if I see a good deal on something which could be useful, I pick it up.

So... Paranoid, or prepared?

Matt

I havent read all the responses yet, so please keep that in mind.

May I ask what scenarios you are prepared for? And where you live in Ohio (city, burb, rural)?

Because in alot of SHTF situations....you will not be able to defend your home, period (esp in a city or burb). You will need to bug out. So, my thought was, how mobile is all that...is that also part of your preparedness plan?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I Am reading this book and I recommend it to anyone that has a mindset for preparedness.

Amazon.com: How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times (9780452295834): James Wesley Rawles: Books

I don't think you are paranoid at all. As others have said, if your preparedness disrupts your daily life then you might be going too far. If you have the means to do it without breaking the bank then go for it. I would also look at ways to secure your house to make it less inviting for criminals. Good lighting, Solid doors, etc etc.

Stay safe...

Weaz

Quote Originally Posted by Little Weaz View Post
    I Am reading this book and I recommend it to anyone that has a mindset for preparedness.

Amazon.com: How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times (9780452295834): James Wesley Rawles: Books

I don't think you are paranoid at all. As others have said, if your preparedness disrupts your daily life then you might be going too far. If you have the means to do it without breaking the bank then go for it. I would also look at ways to secure your house to make it less inviting for criminals. Good lighting, Solid doors, etc etc.

Stay safe...

Weaz

And his book Patriots is also excellent with respect to this topic. And one of the things I had in mind when I posted.

Many people here would love Patriots....he goes into great detail about the firearms, brands, calibers, sights, cammo, amts of ammo stored and why. And goes into hardening the home, other items to store and their shelflives, and it has some firefights.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I wanted to buy both books when we drove to the city. I had checked online and the books were listed as in stock. When we arrived at the book store I asked specifically for both books. The lady's eyes got big and she asked me "why does everyone want this book?" She said that they cannot keep them on the shelf. I bought the last copy that they had in the city, and could not get the book "Patriots". I will get it but in the mean time I am reading this one and "Marine Sniper" to pass the time.

Stay Safe...

Weaz

IMO, you're prepared and rightly so, you can never really know when and where the scum of the earth will show up at your doorstep. I agree, it's better to be ready and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Well, first, consider who you're asking. This is a board where the acronym "SHTF" is used, and is accepted.

Second, if it doesn't impact your life all that much, then probably not paranoid. Paranoid is a coworker of mine who bought a ton (literally) of flour and put it in his basement so they could make bread when the world ended, apparently. That's insanity.

Where my Wife and I work we are drilled monthy on these kinds of events, we have the same employer even though we work across the street from each other. Our drills encompass all the survival skills dissussed here. But, behind the fluff and flitter, I get with the WITH IT bunch and we say, let's defend! My group of bud's think like I do. You can't do that with a can of beans or soup. Can you???

'Slight change of subject, did any of you catch Glenn Beck last night when he showed the clip of Joe Biden stating that he seriously doubts there will ever be another terrorist attack (like 911) on US soil again!?
    Yup, and I couldn't help thinking that we will most likely never have someone quite as stupid occupying the VP slot again.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Yup, and I couldn't help thinking that we will most likely never have someone quite as stupid occupying the VP slot again.
    HEE HAW! Frame that one!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links