Paranoid, or prepared? - Page 3

Paranoid, or prepared?

This is a discussion on Paranoid, or prepared? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Paranoia's just good thinking when you're right". Doctor Johnny Fever...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paranoid, or prepared?

"Paranoia's just good thinking when you're right". Doctor Johnny Fever

Quote Originally Posted by BmDubb View Post
    Ok, so I am just looking for some opinions. My wife says I'm a little too " Over Prepared ". To me, I just think it's preparing for something that could happen. I'm a firm believer in " It's better to have it, and not need it, than to need it and not have it ".

Basically, from the outside looking in, what do you guys think? Am I being paranoid? It's not like I'm breaking the bank on this stuff.. It's just when I go shopping, and I have some extra $$ if I see a good deal on something which could be useful, I pick it up.

So... Paranoid, or prepared?
    Matt
    Matt my 2 cents worth...

Paranoid, NOPE!

Being prepared is the right way to go IMHO. As you said your not breaking the bank. If your like most of us we find ways to squander our money away on less important things.

Sounds like your prepared to hunker down well, but remember there may come a time you may need to bug out.

Think mobile.

One last thought, throw a little of that extra dough toward your wife. She may be feeling a little neglected in the short term.
    Templar

you forgot toilet paper,gold and silver

I would say prepared and I don't believe there is such a thing as "over prepared".
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Firstly, You seem a wise man BmDubb,

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    After 911, my 77 year-old dad held a family meeting to instruct each of us to stock and keep one months supply of food & water, per household. I've augmented this mandate to include ammo too ;-).

Like Sigmanluke said, as long as it's not breaking the bank, it's like owning a fire extinguisher.

'Slight change of subject, did any of you catch Glenn Beck last night when he showed the clip of Joe Biden stating that he seriously doubts there will ever be another terrorist attack (like 911) on US soil again!?
    Secondly, WHEC, I think that 'ol Joe just likes the taste of shoeleather, perhaps!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CSUPQ7EpU_...biden_foot.jpg
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by BmDubb View Post
    ... a little too " Over Prepared ". To me, I just think it's preparing for something that could happen.
    IMO, so long as it fits into your actual planning, it's preparation. So long as such preparations are reasonable given what typically happens in scenarios you're planning for, then it's about right.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As long as you and/or your family aren't doing without other necessary things and you aren't going in debt to add to your "collection", I don't see you as being paranoid (well maybe a little). OTOH, trying to prepare for EVERY imaginable scenario may stretch your resources to the breaking point so you may need to be selective in your choice of what goes into your safe room.

Try to be realistic and prepare for the things that are actual possibilities in your location. Are you prone to earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, wildfires, blizzards, etc where you live? Are you in a major urban area (big city/burbs) or do you live a mile from your nearest neighbor. Also, as others have said, make your list realistic and realize you may be forced to leave your "stash" behind in a real SHTF situation. Make sure you have a bug out bag and plan to go with it. Tons of ammo, food & supplies won't do you any good if you can't carry it with you and you're forced to leave your bunker!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I think you are paranoid, now slowly put the guns back in thier original boxes and send them to me before anyone gets hurt.

PS don't forget to send the ammo

Stay sharp and shoot straight

Always good to be well prepared for anything.
    Though I am lacking in canned goods and other non perishables, I always have a freezer full of something-jerky makings if really needed-a generator, well, septic system, wood stove and plenty of wood.
    There is lots of acreage out back and two ponds on it.
    I could make it for a long time pretty well.

I think reading the book 98.6 The art of keeping your ass alive, by cody lundin is a great start to understanding that you can never prepare too much. How about posting a picture of what this closet looks like?
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

I had several months worth of food stockpiled for "the big one". The "big one" turned out to be me unemployed for 4 months. Guess what we ate.

I stok ammunition because the Wal Mart shelves in my area are still empty

VIP Member
    It doesn't have to be the end of the world to benefit from stored items and a little preparation.

Three years ago St. Louis had an ice storm that left parts of the city without electricity for 6 weeks.

I'd have to see a picture of what you're talking about to say.

We go camping so the gear for that doubles as our disaster preparedness gear. Sure we have a generator, but we don't use it for camping. It's mainly in the event of a hurricane (category 3 or less), being able to keep the refrigerator cold and for running a window A/C unit at night. If expecting a category 4 or 5 hurricane, we're out of here.

P.S. - Don't stock up too much. You only need enough until Dec 2012 according to the Mayan calendar at which point the world will blow up. The only things that will survive will be roaches and Glocks.

BMDubb,

"Ok, so anyways... I've got a walk in closet, which I use solely for extreme situations. In this closet, I've got knives hanging on the wall. Rubbermaid tubs full of ammo, tubs full of first aid stuff, tubs of canned good, and dry rations, Batteries, Matches, bottled water, flashlights, some clothes, guns, fire starters, stuff like that."

I live in Hurricane country. S.O.P. baby S.O.P. I stock a few blue tarps and 50 gallons of premo unleaded gasoline. Lot's of 00 12ga. Buck. (I don't store the gas in the house. Not recommended.)
    S&W M&P .40 Compact
    Para Ordnance 18.9 9mm
    Wesson Mod 15 .357
    Ruger GP100 .357
    Remington 870 Express 12ga

I don't like to think of myself as paranoid....I like to think that I'm in good company with people like the thread poster.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links