Paranoid, or prepared? - Page 4

Paranoid, or prepared?

This is a discussion on Paranoid, or prepared? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Theres a fine line between being paranoid or prepared. Its easy for someone to see you on either side without any real thought to what ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paranoid, or prepared?

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Theres a fine line between being paranoid or prepared. Its easy for someone to see you on either side without any real thought to what may be happening around them.

I don't think you're paranoid. I have 6 months' worth of rice & beans stored in mylar bags w/oxygen absorbers in my bedroom closet, along with a pretty good 1st aid kit, emergency kits for both of our vehicles, extra water stored in the garage, stuff like that.

I think that you're smart.

If you start sleeping and spending your days in that closet, you'll be paranoid.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

PM
    We keep enough that we would not need to go out in the first few days of an ice storm or tornado revcovery. In my BOB I have a can opener and we use a manual one in life anyway; the difference is the one in the BOB is smaller the flip up and twist kind. We need to store some water and I need to buy ammo (this is a $$ issue). Prepared is having enough to live if the SHTF and paraniod is FEARING it will happen tomorrow.

What many on this forum consider 'being prepared', many others consider being paranoid.
    I think that you're on the right track...stock up a bit more.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Some random thoughts.

Sit down and try to think what your family needs -- everything -- to live for a week without public utilities (water, electricity, gas, garbage pickup) and without external supplies (no grocery store, pharmacy, gas station, Home Depot).

This will vary a lot depending on how many people in your family, what your climate is like (hot -- you need more water, cold -- you may need some means of heat).

I think it might surprise a lot of folks just how much this is. Take for example a VERY critical item -- water.

Let's assume we have two people. If we assume 2L water per person per day (and in reality, this is probably a pretty minimal amount -- doesn't account for exertion in a hot environment, washing, cooking, etc.) that is 7.4 gallons for a week.

Do you have 7.4 gallons of water on hand? That is just for a week.

Personally I think we should be prepared to live without outside support for a *minimum* of a week. In reality, I think a month would be a good goal to give us some breathing room.

Note that a month of water at 2L per day per person and two people is about 30 gallons.

Now try to think about storing 30 gallons of water. It is a lot!

We totally rely on super markets and electricity and public infrastructure. In a regional disaster - regardless of what type -- a hurricane, an earthquake, a tsunami, a volcanic eruption, an ice storm, a flood, you are pretty safe to assume you are going to be on your own for a week or two.

What if in this period your house is damaged? Or someone in your family is hurt? Can you deal with it?

IMO, if you aren't prepared to go totally w/o outside aid for a week, you are UNprepared. You will survive by luck and the grace of others. Two weeks, I'd call that minimally prepared. A month, OK, good job.

I'd bet if you drew up a good list of everything you need to be prepared for three weeks on your own, most people will call you paranoid. But that is just two weeks with a week of fudge factor -- what if you have guests when you get hit with an earthquake?

OK, so John thinks having a months supplies isn't paranoid. But..

You need to think it through. If you have a years worth of MREs, but no backup source of water, you haven't planned very well. If you have dried beans and rice, but no way to cook them, you haven't planned very well. Do you have enough food for your dogs? Needed RX meds?

Like others have said -- Think about what the risks in your area are. Think about how many people you have to take care of. Consider how long you are preparing for. Then work it through.

FWIW, I think you are better off getting everything you need for a short period of time, and increase your supplies in time oriented steps.

That is to say, start with 2 days supplies, then increase that to 1 week supplies, then go to two weeks supplies, rather than have enough food to last month, but not have any water at all.

In the end, it is only paranoid if it is irrational. The reality is, regional emergencies do happen. And in those cases, you are on your own for a period of time until outside help can be mustered and brought in.

-john

Most houses have hot water tanks so there's 40 - 50 gallons of fresh clean water right there. If you can't provide for yourself and your family (food, water, shelter, heat, protection) for at least a week you'll have to try and survive by begging or taking. I'll help as many out as I can and it it comes down to it give you MY food. But if you come and try to take from me and my family I will move into protection mode. At least know where to get food, water, shelter, protection.
    "I wish I would have done the hard things when they were easier to do."

While I've often seen that noted, I'd be curious if anyone has actually tried the hot water tank route. I could easily see people lose all the water in their tank onto the floor trying to get at it.

From my perspective, I'd rather consider that a "backup".

-john

Re: the OPs question: Your "room" is out of line with any realistic threat - the chances of ever needing to shoot once, with one gun, is very remote unless you have extremely unusual life-circumstances. That you will need such a set-up as you have.....

There are 1000s of things that can do us in daily, why not prepare in relationship to their frequency, (car accidents would be #1). Too much thought about danger and constantly preparing for it can make us less secure in life. I don't think that's good.

my view.......

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    There are 1000s of things that can do us in daily, why not prepare in relationship to their frequency.
    Have done just that. When it came to preparing against crime, hardening the home and improving my defensive tools skills was next on the list.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Some random thoughts.
    It's obvious you've given this subject some thought.

Good info.

To the original poster...you're not paranoid. You're doing what everyone should do. Worring about EMP's, 2012 theories, Asteroid's slamming into earth, large scale solar flares, stuff like that is probably more on the paranoid side.

But I think you're right on.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Paranoid ?

I do not think so! I bought vegetable seeds in small buckets that last for 7 years shelf life. I also have most of the things you described. It is a feel good thing. Most of these items cost very little, and if built up over time, you can build quite a stash.

Regards
    Rick
    "Fail Your Way To Success"
    "A Goal without a Plan, is Just a Dream"
    "Age and treachery will win over Youth and Enthusiasm"

Ample supply of P-38'sw Actually FREDS from Australia

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    It is odd what some people have. My neighbor has an impressive supply of canned goods. But had no method of opening them should the power go off.
    Ample supply of P-38's Actually FREDS from Australia
    "Fail Your Way To Success"
    "A Goal without a Plan, is Just a Dream"
    "Age and treachery will win over Youth and Enthusiasm"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I don't believe you are paranoid, being prepared for any bad situation is a good thing.

Go and do primitive camping and see how it would really be like to live without electricity, gas, water and creature comforts. Our church went with the kids last summer and there were adults who accompanied us that said it felt like they lived through a disaster. They couldn't just get up go turn on lights, open the fridge and that sort of thing.

Their experience was an eye opener to say the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    Theres a fine line between being paranoid or prepared. Its easy for someone to see you on either side without any real thought to what may be happening around them.
    ^^^YEP^^^
    the thing here is, the very same people who say you are nuts for thinking you need to carry a concealed weapon, for personal safety,(thats what police are for) mentality, are the same people that will say you don't need to stockpile;
    Bet those people down in Chile wish they would have "stockpiled foodstuffs and gas. Have you seen the Pics of them looting grocery stores, and waiting in gas lines that were reminicent or the lines here in the '70's

Heres the link to these pic's,
    Its devastating
    Massive earthquake strikes Chile - Yahoo! News Photos

If there is to be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
    If you start sleeping and spending your days in that closet, you'll be paranoid.
    ^^^^YEP^^^^^^

bzdog makes about the most sucinct points surounding this whole issue.(see his post above , if you haven't already),
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links