Paranoid, or prepared?

Paranoid, or prepared?

This is a discussion on Paranoid, or prepared? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so I am just looking for some opinions. My wife says I'm a little too " Over Prepared ". To me, I just think ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paranoid, or prepared?

Paranoid, or prepared?

Ok, so I am just looking for some opinions. My wife says I'm a little too " Over Prepared ". To me, I just think it's preparing for something that could happen. I'm a firm believer in " It's better to have it, and not need it, than to need it and not have it ".

Ok, so anyways... I've got a walk in closet, which I use solely for extreme situations. In this closet, I've got knives hanging on the wall. Rubbermaid tubs full of ammo, tubs full of first aid stuff, tubs of canned good, and dry rations, Batteries, Matches, bottled water, flashlights, some clothes, guns, fire starters, stuff like that.

I told my wife I have collected all of this stuff, because noone knows what will happen in our lifetime. We could have a natural disaster where people go crazy, our government falls apart, war, anything... I know its unlikely it will happen, but I feel better knowing if it does, I will be somewhat prepared.

Basically, from the outside looking in, what do you guys think? Am I being paranoid? It's not like Im breaking the bank on this stuff.. It's just when I go shopping, and I have some extra $$ if I see a good deal on something which could be useful, I pick it up.

So... Paranoid, or prepared?

Matt

VIP Member
    To me it's prepared, paranoid would be more along the lines of "breaking the bank" for the stuff.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Well, I guess it all depends on the SIZE of your closet!

But, yeah, I think prepared is more applicable here. Just don't over do it and let the disaster-can-hit-any-minute mindset take over your daily life. THAT'S paranoid!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    After 911, my 77 year-old dad held a family meeting to instruct each of us to stock and keep one months supply of food & water, per household. I've augmented this mandate to include ammo too ;-).

Like Sigmanluke said, as long as it's not breaking the bank, it's like owning a fire extinguisher.

'Slight change of subject, did any of you catch Glenn Beck last night when he showed the clip of Joe Biden stating that he seriously doubts there will ever be another terrorist attack (like 911) on US soil again!?

They is no such thing as PARANOID when they are really out to get you!
    Call it a collection or storage room - it gives it a different light/tone.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I believe in the Boyscout motto. "Be prepared." That includes food, water, silver, gold, etc., etc.
    That being said, have you considered burglary when your home is unoccupied? If the aforementioned closet is in your bedroom, it's one of the first places they'll look.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Knives hanging on the wall, tubs of ammo, etc. does sounds a bit extreme. Knives? Last great act of desperation? Tubs? Tubs sounds like a lot. Do you mean sealed containers, or big tubs? Sounds a little paranoid to me.

Since I don't know where in Ohio you are, but just what disaster are you preparing for? Having a weeks worth of food to last through a snowstorm would be sufficient. Got a backup heater? Backup generator? Fuel?

Civil insurrection? I think we're a long way from that.

Being in FL and having several hurricanes run right over my house, I have a portable generator in the garage and several gas cans, which I only fill if a hurricane is approaching. I always have a weeks worth of food, no need to stock up extra. My gun is available to steer off anyone who didn't prepare, if a hurricane hits, and decides they have to have what I've got. But 1000's of rounds of ammo? No, a couple boxes of buckshot, couple hundred rounds of .45, a box or two of rifle shells should be enough to hold off any looters. They're not an army division, you know.

And I've got the usual first-aid materials around, no special stash. Should a hurricane hit and the house is still standing, the generator will handle everything except the A/C. Might be uncomfortable for a while (been there, done that) but I'll get by. Still have hot food and a shower!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You don't sound paranoid to me. And your stores are useful for much more than serious disasters. Hard times come, out of work, and that food may be very useful. I see you are in Ohio, and likely enjoying this crazy weather, as am I here in Ky.
    We had an ice storm here 2 years ago and lost power for 2 weeks. Life continued, but it was nice not to have to run out and get food. Most of my friends had to go out because all they had was perishable food. And the ammo? You never know when this current government might ban/tax out of existance ammo. Good to have some now.

Administrator
    I always thinks its a good idea to be prepared. I have a similar closet, but I don't have knives hanging on the wall. Its simply stocked with food/water and other essentials to tide my family over if needed.

It's kinda funny what people stock to 'prepare' (this is not directed at the OP or anyone who has posted). They have 20 rifles but no ammo, or the have a shopping cart full of can goods with no method to prepare them. The biggest thing people can do doesn't cost a dime or take up any valuable storage in your home. Its knowledge. A little know how goes a long way.
    We all have internet access and the library is free. A "smart book" from the Army/Navy store is cheap too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    It is surprising how much food and water we go through. Especially if the number of exemptions on your tax return is more than 1. (sorry, did my taxes last night!).

It is always nice to have some fun "toys" in there too... but I would concentrate on useful supplies and basic tools.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Doesn't sound paranoid to me. Better to have and not need then to have not and then need.

You never know...
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I always thinks its a good idea to be prepared. I have a similar closet, but I don't have knives hanging on the wall. Its simply stocked with food/water and other essentials to tide my family over if needed.

It's kinda funny what people stock to 'prepare' (this is not directed at the OP or anyone who has posted). They have 20 rifles but no ammo, or the have a shopping cart full of can goods with no method to prepare them. The biggest thing people can do doesn't cost a dime or take up any valuable storage in your home. Its knowledge. A little know how goes a long way. We all have internet access and the library is free. A "smart book" from the Army/Navy store is cheap too.
    Bingo, SIXTO!

Your comments got me thinking about a book I read a long time ago. It was a sci-fi story by Heinlein, called Farnam's Freehold. It was your basic cold war era end of the world sort of story. I learned a lot about the need for being prepared from that book.

The best thing I took from it, is the need to teach ourselves the skills needed to live semi-primitive. Most of us don't use those skills on a daily basis or never learned them. In a crisis, it might be a good idea to know how to build a fire or shelter or you name it.

If you don't know how to do a thing, EDUCATE yourself!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    I use to have a very good reserve in my home but complacency is contagious. However, I do believe it’s important to be prepared. In my lifetime, I have never been so concerned for our homeland and our way of life. After 30-years of working in and around the military, I never wanted to touch another gun! Unfortunately, our world and culture has changed and I’m armed today not by choice, but rather by necessity.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

You are not Paranoid to me. We have a full basement stocked with everything we can think of. We review it monthly. I fact our next check up is coming up. Like Saber says, I'm concerned, as in very concerned myself what tomorrow holds. So today we prepare for the worse and pray and hope for the best.

No you aren't paranoid at all. There is a site called Stoppingpower dot net check out the forums. I'm sure you will be enlightened.

Mel
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links