Defensive Carry banner

New Mexico CCW moving to Texas

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  drjavelina 
#1 ·
Hello,

I and my wife are New Mexico CCW holders and are moving back to our home state of Texas in the next few months. I have called the Texas CCW permit section and they tell me that they recognize New Mexico as does New Mexico recognizes Texas. What I have not been able to find out is when we move back to Texas and change our permanent residence from New Mexico to Texas will our CCW permits still be valid in New Mexico and therefore recognized in Texas until they expire? I know the New Mexico permits are linked to our Drivers License here, so when we turn in our New Mexico DL's and get Texas DL's what happens. Do we loose our CCW's and have to start over again? Nobody with either state department can really answer my question. Anyone know?

PS. I am retired law enforcement and for 15 years after retirement never owned or fired a firearm. After Vietnam and police work I had all I wanted. Four months ago I came to the aid of a woman in fear of attack and have now incurred the wrath of her attacker who has made it know he is coming after anyone who helped her. It has frightened my Prius loving liberal wife to the point she no longer feels safe and made the decision to learn to shoot and took the CCW training. Into our retirement and after years of public service and now this. I would not change what I did, but it is a hell of a price to pay.

See less See more
#2 ·
I do not know, but when you change DL to another state, then you are a resident of that state. Is your New Mexico permit only for a resident or do non-residents of New Mexico get the same permit? I would think you would have to start over...once you became a resident of Texas.

#3 ·
I would suggest you begin the Texas process now. NM does not issue non-res permits, so, if you move out of state, I'd assume your permit is invalid. Texas does issue a non-res permit. Get it as fast as you can, then when you move, get it changed to a resident permit.

That seems the easiest way to be covered to me.

#4 ·
The Texas CHL is also tied to your dl number. I called the DPS office in Austin and their opinion is that once you become a resident of Texas, you are no longer a resident of NM and your "resident" CHL in New Mexico is no longer active. You might ask someone at the NM state office.

#5 ·
Your wife will probably need to get a non-resident permit that will be recognized in TX until she can obtain a TX resident permit. As for yourself, it appears you may qualify under the LEOSA. Check into it and see.

#8 ·
I had some friends just went thru the CHL class and had their licenses about one month after submitting the paperwork,In Tx you can carry a concealed gun in a vehicle without a license

#9 ·
PS. I am retired law enforcement
Are you not covered under LEOSA (aka HR 218)?

Texas requires you to take a course IN Texas before issuing. You may have to wait until you get there.
Or get a non-resident CHL from another state, such as Florida/Utah/etc, that will be honored in both Texas and New Mexico.

Florida will mostly likely be the most convenient, because they will issue the license without taking a training class, due to the OP's law enforcement/military background.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

#10 ·
For your HR 218 permit go the local Pd ask about the course that is offered. You must produce verification of police retirement and place of residence. Take the course have the Range Officer issue the HR218 card and you are on you way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.