At the gun store last weekend - Page 3

At the gun store last weekend

This is a discussion on At the gun store last weekend within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Munch I always remember to point my firearm in a safe direction, like towards a hippy or a liberal. .....who may be ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    I always remember to point my firearm in a safe direction, like towards a hippy or a liberal.
    .....who may be in that shop because they're looking to cross over to our side. And you would have blown him/her away.

Thanks.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Wow, safety isn't everyones first concern?

I've seen some interesting and scary things in gun shops, I hope someone steps up and helps people be safe when they notice things like this.
    I was in my local gun shop a couple weeks ago and I was swept by a uniformed officer while he was showing one of the guys who works there his duty weapon. It amazes me how people don't practice safety, even those you think would.

I always remember to point my firearm in a safe direction, like towards a hippy or a liberal.
    I drive a VW Bug, with flowers and peace signs painted on it, listening to Hendrix, Joplin, Stones, The Who, and a myriad of other classic 60s artists. I consider myself a hippy of sorts (other than the fact that I have a job as an executive, a family, responsibilities, and guns) in that I am a believer in peace (which I find easy to have given my CC weapons of choice). Please refrain from pointing your weapon at me. Liberals....well, why just point when you can aim.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I work at a gun shop. Whenever I hand a customer a gun to check out, I check it and make sure it's clear. When he/she hands it back, I check it again to make sure it's clear - EVEN IF IT NEVER LEFT MY SIGHT AND I KNOW FULL WELL IT'S STILL EMPTY. Can't ever be too safe, IMO.

As for carry, our policy is generally "Concealed means concealed" and "Holstered open carry is fine - if you're going to be unholstering it, bring it in unloaded and cased instead of in a holster." Then, of course, we ensure it's cleared. One customer wanted to check the size of his wife's sidearm in some of our concealment purses - I cleared it first.

Common sense is all to uncommon anymore... sad state of affairs if you ask me.

I was at my local pawn shop today winder-shopping as they say and the helper (not the owner) basically broke every rule known to man as we looked at handguns, shotguns, and rifles. I did the "hey, whoa, look out" dance as I re-directed muzzles, etc. and I demonstrated safe gun handling, but it just never took. This was way worse than sweeps. I don't want to peeve the guys off because I do a lot of business with them (tools, guitars, guns, pool table, etc.) and they always cut me unbelievalbe deals.

The good news is I thought I was done buying stuff for a while, but now I've got a whole new list of stuff that I wish I didn't know they have. Held a Ruger SP101 357 with the smooth hammer and short barrel. SWEEEET. Also fondled the Ruger SR9compact and SWEEET!!! Handled the Bond Arms derringers in 45/410 and 357/38 with interchangeable barrels. Cool, but impracticle. Also handled the Taurus Judge Public Defender (snub airweight) and interestingly enough it felt good in hand. Not sure it has any practicle application, but would be fun to shoot. Saw some other really interesting stuff. A 45 caliber handgun with a 50 round drum magazine that weighed a TON empty. Just imagine 20+ pounds of 45 loaded in it.

I've been wanting a 12 ga coachgun for HD, but today I saw a short barrel pump 12 ga that comes with a pistol grip. It's got my eye for the HD role.

I'm sure I'll be going back later this week to buy something...I'm getting the twitch. Good thing I didn't have much cash with me today.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

All of the gun shops I frequent have game mounted to the walls. When I dry fire I always point it up and one of the stuffed heads and NEVER sweep anybody as I do it.

I once had a clerk become offended that I checked the pistol right after watching him do it. Sorry, but I will recheck a gun every time I set it down - even if I had just set it down a second ago and watched it the entire time.

OK, what was on the menu....

well i have to agree with anyone seeing this happen at the store the employee's are just overwhelm,or just too stupid to see how bad her gun safety is...and how in the heck she got her cpl trying to hold it one handed and point in a unsafe manner loaded or not . ITS THE FIRST RULE of cpl course ...Treat all firearms as if they are loaded.

too me she need more instrution....
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

AzB
    Classy.

Az

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    I would contact the owner and let him know what you saw, with time and dates, names if possible. Also, that you will not be returning, spending any more money, and will be letting friends and family know of what happened. Unless safety policies are changed or current ones are enforced, and until you are notified of such a thing.

I was only kidding.... If I offended any I apologize. If I didn't, then thanks for getting it.

Disclaimer: No hippies or liberals were hurt either accidently or intentionally.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bsnow View Post
    First the woman is an idiot, what or how did she get a permit, from the two stooges she was with? And the guy behind the counter if he wants to live much longer he needs an education. Our gun shops here you would be out! The guys and ladys behind the counter in my parts would show you the door with that kind of behavior..
    +1 on that.

It's not just the gun shops either. I was at a range the other day and the RSO on duty (they all know me) asked if he could take a few shots at my silhouette target. I said sure and even asked if he'd like to use my firearm? He said no, he just wanted to try a head shot or two with his new 45 Kimber Crimson Trace. He was standing at the port directly to my right. His firearm was in a shoulder holster on his left side. As he removed it from the holster, I was shocked to be staring right directly into the 1/2" barrel of his fully loaded carry piece. I was one safety click (if it was even on) and a single action trigger pull from potentially having my brains blown out. There are unsafe idiots at every gun store and range. I just didn't expect them to be safety officers!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Hmmm... that'd be a concern for sure, but we shouldn't be too quick to judge. Does the store have a "no loaded firearms" sign? Perhaps the gentleman had it unloaded while in the store, and knew it wouldn't be a safety issue? The gun being loaded is a logical conclusion, but we shouldn't assume.
    WOW I thought one of the rules was ALWAYS ASSUME any gun is loaded until proven otherwise..
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

I agree, both with issue of pointing guns in shops and common sense being at a premium.

While at a local sporting goods store recently, I was browsing holsters, safes and the like. Only to round the corner and see a customer with a glock pointed right at my head!! That made for an interesting situation...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    That is true, but I think they're fairly certain the guns are unloaded. Most are smart enough to always check the chamber before handing it to a customer...just in case....

And they tend to watch the gun, and I would assume they'd notice someone loading it.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links