At the gun store last weekend

This is a discussion on At the gun store last weekend within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saturday I went to the local gun store/range to shoot. I had to wait a little while for an open lane. The store was pretty ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At the gun store last weekend

At the gun store last weekend

Saturday I went to the local gun store/range to shoot.
    I had to wait a little while for an open lane. The store was pretty busy. There were a lot of people there looking at guns, several others bringing in guns for repairs and some waiting for a lane on the range.
    As I am waiting I am watching a woman who is with two gentlemen. One appears to be her husband, the other maybe a brother or brother in law. The woman is looking at snub nose revolvers. From what I heard of her conversation she must have just gotten her CPL, but used to shoot years ago. She also apparently had spent sometime shooting rental guns earlier that morning. She was saying how she had issues with the recoil on a few of the guns she shot.

I noticed that she was picking up different revolvers, pointing them at the wall and dry firing them. She did this many times, all the while comparing weight and trigger pull. She was constantly sweeping the guns across the chest of the saleman on the other side of the counter. I suppose they are probably used to this.

I noticed that she repeatedly used a single hand grip, like they do in the movies. That's probably why she had trouble with recoil.

The thing that really surprised me was when the second guy with her drew his carry piece and handed it to her so she could see if she liked the weight of it! Luckily she didn't decide to test the trigger pull!

I don't know if the shop has a policy about loaded guns on the sales floor, out of holsters but it made me a little nervous thinking she's waving it around like she was the other guns, and now the guy has to get it back into his holster.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Wow, safety isn't everyones first concern?

I've seen some interesting and scary things in gun shops, I hope someone steps up and helps people be safe when they notice things like this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Wow! That could sure make one nervous. I'm surprised the sales people didn't say something.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thats why a lot of gun shops have signs posted now. People need to get there heads out of there a$$ and use some common sense.

It sounds like she was waving it all over the place. I'd have kept a close eye on her if I needed to be there, if not I would have moved on somewhere else. Had it ever crossed me I would definitely have politely instructed her on firearm safety.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Any one else notice that common sense isn't very common anymore?

I know I would have been packing up and moving on if I had been anywhere near them!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    I'd also have second thoughts about the gun store and how the staff could tolerate such behaviour.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Yikes, unloaded gun watched by the sales clerk-not so bad-but someones carry piece likely loaded, safety (who knows), I'd be telling someone to leave!

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Hmmm... that'd be a concern for sure, but we shouldn't be too quick to judge. Does the store have a "no loaded firearms" sign? Perhaps the gentleman had it unloaded while in the store, and knew it wouldn't be a safety issue? The gun being loaded is a logical conclusion, but we shouldn't assume.

(Although the way some people are, I'm not ruling it out.)

Also, if they were at the range before or after that, he might have unloaded it for that reason. I always enter and exit with my firearm unloaded, mostly because one range requires it, and I do it at the other out of respect.

First the woman is an idiot, what or how did she get a permit, from the two stooges she was with? And the guy behind the counter if he wants to live much longer he needs an education. Our gun shops here you would be out! The guys and ladys behind the counter in my parts would show you the door with that kind of behavior..

Gun store employees also have a tendency to put firearms on the counter with the grip towards you then continue to to stay in front of you so not sweeping them with the muzzle is almost impossible.

Its not always the customer.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aric View Post
    Gun store employees also have a tendency to put firearms on the counter with the grip towards you then continue to to stay in front of you so not sweeping them with the muzzle is almost impossible.

That is true, but I think they're fairly certain the guns are unloaded. Most are smart enough to always check the chamber before handing it to a customer...just in case....

And they tend to watch the gun, and I would assume they'd notice someone loading it.

Quote Originally Posted by aric View Post

I will concede that may happen in your neck of the woods. But where I live that is a firable offense, for the employee. It is not impossible to point and check out the feel of a handgun or long gun without pointing it at any person period.PERIOD!

I don't need no stinkin' lessons or a license! Without any offense, given or taken, holster and gun shop owners and clerks have inspected my guns and I have inspected theirs, they asking me if mine were loaded, and me replying that I thought not, but was not sure, so I we check them again and let everybody look at them; there being less danger because I USUALLY do not keep one bullet loaded in the chamber...at least MOST OF THE TIME...but maybe NOT ALWAYS. God, I hope that we don't make a mistake.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Pointing a gun, empty or loaded, at a person (other than for self defense of course) is completely out of line....PERIOD!!!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links