Mrs. Strangelove or: How I Got My Wife to Stop Worrying and Ignore the Gun - Page 2

Mrs. Strangelove or: How I Got My Wife to Stop Worrying and Ignore the Gun

This is a discussion on Mrs. Strangelove or: How I Got My Wife to Stop Worrying and Ignore the Gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; be careful about how far you take this. If she gets to liking it too much you end up in fights over "You got the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mrs. Strangelove or: How I Got My Wife to Stop Worrying and Ignore the Gun

be careful about how far you take this.

If she gets to liking it too much you end up in fights over "You got the last one now it's my turn to buy one"

but good job.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Plumberguy View Post
    That said, I've got it easy. My wife has been going back and forth about her new pistol. She knows what she wants just dosen't want to spend the money. Sunday she actually said she didn't want to upset me if she wanted another gun later. Are you kidding me? [choked up teary voice] I was so proud.:
    LMAO!!!!

I totally understand why you didn't tell your wife initially. Sometimes it becomes necessary to work around your spouse when they are trying to make decisions based on emotion. You have a duty to protect your family, with or without her consent. It's not ideal that way, but it was her ignorance that was causing the issue, not your desire to protect your family.

When you figure out a way to get her to the range, keep me posted. I'm still working on that with my wife. If I pick up any tricks of the trade, I'll let you know as well.

To sum up, you did the right thing, even though it took a lot of patience.

LLT
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    She had legitimate concerns, yet because you believe your logic to be better, went and did it anyways. Come on, I know you feel at least marginally bad for what you did. It is just now you have gotten away with it. Whether she was wrong or right, as your partner she should at least get to have a say before you do something major, which in my opinion a firearm is not as simple as buying yourself a new power tool.

Though, it is not my relationship and I do not wish anything bad on you or yours, so I hope it all works out smoothly.
    Well said.

My wife calls me a chauvinist who doesn't respect her opinion... I should really show her this forum - she's spoiled! Kidding aside, I'm glad it worked out for you, Silo - but I'd be livid if I found out my wife was going to such lengths to play deceptive mind games with me and involving friends/neighbors.... so with that in mind, I wouldn't do it to her - but that's just me. Here's hoping it doesn't "slip out" in casual conversation with the neighbors one day. ;)

Good luck. Be safe.

Glad you got her to come arround. If I bought a gun behind my wifes back she'd shoot me with it! She was against me buying my first handgun (she doesn't care about long guns) but while I was at the shop I called her to tell her I was buying it. Things were tense for a while but it all blew over.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Exhippie, tell her you just want her to shoot once so that you can teach her to be safe with it. After the initial safety talk and she gets the first 3-4 rounds down range bet her she can't hit the silhouette in the crotch. After she runs a couple of mags into a group that would make Bob Munden proud she'll start talking about getting her own gun some day.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Great deal!!! Sounds like a well executed plan. If she ever finds out you pulled the wool over her eyes and already had a gun before the dog and pony show, she will super glue your man stuff to your thigh while you are asleep. Good luck with that...hope she doesn't find out. Did I mention that they always find out? It takes weeks for the glue to start giving way and anything you try to put on it to get it loose is more irritating than having your stuff glued to your leg. Ice and gin are your best option. Ice on your midsection and drink the gin. Good luck.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by liljake82 View Post
    ...bet her she can't hit the silhouette in the crotch...
    You guys are cracking me up tonight!

I need to start a thread regarding the wife and the shooting range. I do need help, but I don't want to get this thread too far off topic.

I appreciate it, everyone. And, yes, even those who have said I did the wrong thing by hiding it.

What it came down to my mind isn't chauvinism (anyone who knows me knows that's not the case for me) or "I'm right and you're wrong," but more of a question of protection vs. emotion. I refuse to let someone's emotion get in the way of protecting myself and those I love.

A few times emotion was argued in our conversations. One such argument went:

Her: "I don't want to have to tell our 2 year old why there's a dead guy at the bottom of our steps."
    Me: "I do. That means we're alive."

There was another one I wish I could remember verbatim, but it pretty much ended her argument when I was asking if she was suggesting asking the bad guy (in this case, a soon-to-be-ex-brother-in-law) if he could hold on a few minutes while we decide if it's permissible to get a gun.

In the end, I had to appeal to both her emotion and with facts from good sources. Do I feel any bit bad for hiding it? Maybe only because I wish I could have told her sooner, and I wish she understood from the beginning. But I don't particularly feel bad for hiding it, as I felt that we were better prepared and protected should something have happened.

Any man that develops a powerpoint to use as a 'convincer' for his wife is a man on a 'mission of success'.
    Sounds like you should be teaching a course on "Wives, Guns, and Home Defense, How to Make Them All Work Together".

Stay armed...make the wife a 'partner'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    So where's the power point, already?
    I agree, can you upload a unpersonalized copy for all of us. My wife of nine months has already agreed to go shooting with me this spring, but this powerpoint would be very helpfull convincing any of the anti's we all tend to run it to from time to time.

Anyone who has requested one via PM should now have it in their email boxes.

Here's the link to a filesharing Web site (and shows the presentation right there on the screen): http://www.slideshare.net/guest0821b...tegy-converted

To download, just make a free account and you'll be able to download it.

It's simple, but was effective. Also, in general the sources I used are in the "notes" section for each slide. Enjoy!

Having to make a power point to convince the wife to have a plan to protect the family and to convince her to let you buy the gun that you already went behind her back to purchase and then hide from her is funny and sad in so many ways.

Best of luck to you and your marrage.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

The issue is larger than a gun: it's about having a defensive plan and strategy. Before, we had nothing. Never talked about it, and she didn't really want to. So I came up with a proposal that seems sufficient for our needs, and she OKed it. Sounds like an effective strategy, to me, but I'm biased.

Much worse stuff can be done in marriages than buy a gun, for god's sake. And given today's divorce rate, it seems worse things are commonplace.

pax
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan
    So here's the real question. Are you ever going to tell her that you already had one?
    Quote Originally Posted by silo
    Absolutely not.
    Hehhehehe.

Nice plan, but silo -- nothing on the internet is private.

Nothing.

And it all lasts forever.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Well, the bank balance is going to be showing purchases that you'll have to explain. On that note when I was a brand new 18 yr old, I brought 2 revolvers into the house. I was going to college during the day and security at night to pay the college bills. Of course parents just said don't you be bringing any weapons in our house! I said I can't keep them in the car You will be using so... They just said ok, in the house, but out of sight of us...

First two were Colt .357 Trooper a heavy 4" revolver, and the 2nd was a Colt Agent .38spl with a full shroud and magnesium frame. Man I wish I had those today, they would be worth a small fortune. Trooper cost $250 new back then, and the Agent was about $175.

Ah well!
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links