Mrs. Strangelove or: How I Got My Wife to Stop Worrying and Ignore the Gun

This is a discussion on Mrs. Strangelove or: How I Got My Wife to Stop Worrying and Ignore the Gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Absolutely! If anyone is having a problem downloading it from that site, just PM me your e-mail address, and I'll email it!...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mrs. Strangelove or: How I Got My Wife to Stop Worrying and Ignore the Gun

Absolutely! If anyone is having a problem downloading it from that site, just PM me your e-mail address, and I'll email it!

2. Remove Ads

I enjoyed reading your story. I have a similar one. My wife was completely afraid of guns in the house. I have ran many scenarios by her so she realized that the only way she could fend off an attacker of larger size or worse, multiple assailants would be with a gun. A woman was raped in an upscale mall very close to our home and we have a 4 month old that she is crazy about.
    I got a gun for Home Defense, the same day she went with me to the Gun shop and we both took the CCW course. She fired a 9 mm for the first time and actually enjoyed shooting.
    After a long time and 3 guns later (bought by me without giving much advance notice) she got used to having guns around and me carrying 24/7. At first she thought I was paranoid but then she got used to it.
    Took her to the range a couple of times and one time told me she really liked the S&W 642. My dealer was kind enough to put some pink grips on it and off we went with her toy. She has not fired it since she was pregnant before and now it is really hard to leave the kid with someone to go shooting. However she has probably fired around 300 rounds with my G21SF.
    I tested the gun for function and gave it to her. She now has it in the glove compartment of her car or in a fanny pack when she takes the baby for a stroll. I want to take her shooting so she becomes confortable with the gun and trigger, but at least she has a fighting chance if somebody tries to harm her or our son....

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Bringing deception and/or manipulation into a marriage is always a bad idea. To be completely fair, some wives are so emotionally unreasonable as to leave a man with very few alternatives. It's a tough spot to find yourself in and I won't judge a man for how he chooses to handle it (assuming it's handled in a non-violent manner). It's his marriage and I will neither suffer nor benefit from how it's managed. Besides, I'm busy enough trying to keep my own marriage running smoothly.......

I know men who are prepared to do dramatic and heroic things to protect their family, but they aren't prepared to deal with verbal resistance from an emotional and unreasonable wife.... Sometimes being the man means you have to take a verbal beating and have the self-control to NOT return fire....

If you want to be the man in your marriage then you need to be steady, consistent, and indestructible....
    ^^Outstanding Observations!!^^

Sometimes, we just have to "take it like a man." Disagreements are going to happen. Sometimes we deservedly have it coming (and we know when that's the case) and sometimes it seems unreasonable. "Choose your battles wisely" as they say, but then proceed cautiously.

It's certainly not my place to judge anyone. It seems to me you chose your "battle" wisely and executed an intelligent plan. Now just remember to proceed cautiously. I hope all goes well.

Just remember how many points she has won with you as a result of this situation when the next "battle" rolls around. Relationships necessitate comprimises from both parties.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    Silo....great presentation. However, I can't seem to be able to "rip off" a copy from that site. Can you send me one?

I'd appreciate it!
    Did you check your spam folder? The site sends you an email, once you register, with a link to get the download.

You should of done it the "easy" way,hired a thug to "rob" you while your wife is there and afterwards say that woulda been a good time to have a gun,thank god you weren't hurt like me.Did you see how I tried to protect you by striking his fist with my face repeatedly,If His fist feels like my head I'm sure he will think twice before coming at me again. ( Just Kiddin) you might suggest the Kornered Kat website to her
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Wow, I can't imagine marrying someone who held beliefs so different from mine. My wife's NRA membership is actually about 5 years older than mine and she currently carries daily. I am certainly not critisizing (sp) the OP or his actions but again I would have a hard time marrying someone who held such different beliefs than mine.

My wife likes the Mossburg to be on her side of the bed at night rather than her XD45c for nighttime home defense.

The tactics used by the OP seem kinda underhanded and manipulative to me...but thats just me

Quote Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
    I am certainly not critisizing (sp) the OP or his actions but again I would have a hard time marrying someone who held such different beliefs than mine.

The tactics used by the OP seem kinda underhanded and manipulative to me...but thats just me
    Wait.. you're not criticizing my actions, but they were underhanded and manipulative? Just kidding, it's all good. Just thought that was funny, haha. :)

Honestly, when we got married even I had different beliefs. I've never been that into guns, and I'm definitely not a hunter. But I now see the need for adequate home protection, and thought it a good idea to have at least two handguns for personal and home defense.

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    Wait.. you're not criticizing my actions, but they were underhanded and manipulative? Just kidding, it's all good. Just thought that was funny, haha. :)

Honestly, when we got married even I had different beliefs. I've never been that into guns, and I'm definitely not a hunter. But I now see the need for adequate home protection, and thought it a good idea to have at least two handguns for personal and home defense.
    Absolutely not criticizing.....merely offering an observation based on my own experiences and perceptions, you are a much better judge of what is right for you and yours than I am...my opinion in this case is worth exactly what you paid for it......lol

BTW, I said they seemed that way to me, not judging them to be that way...they merely appeared that way to me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links