Question pertaining to CC in bars in Colorado

This is a discussion on Question pertaining to CC in bars in Colorado within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Me and my friends are bar dwellers, and will go out to a sports bar to watch a hockey game, play some pool, etc... I ...

Thread: Question pertaining to CC in bars in Colorado

Me and my friends are bar dwellers, and will go out to a sports bar to watch a hockey game, play some pool, etc... I am of legal age, but i do not drink. What i am trying to find out, is what the law is about carrying inside a bar. Ive asked a few friends who are local PD, and i got mixed results.

I looked at http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf, and it says "Note: What is defined as carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol is a place like Friday’s or Red
    Lobster. This does not mean a bar or the bar area of a restaurant. Handgunlaw.us believes you should
    never consume alcohol when carrying your firearm. In some states it is illegal to take even one drink
    while carrying a firearm."

Does not really help me with my current situation. Anyone with any information, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Try looking here:

Rocky Mountain Gun Owners - Home

E-Mail Dudley if you can't find an answer. Also consider joining RMGO - a great organization!

Mic
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

CCW in a bar is not illegal by statute. However, it is unlawful to be in possession of a firearm while intoxicated.

Statutes of interest:
    C.R.S. 18-12-214 Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions
    http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext...8-12-214%27%5D

C.R.S. 18-12-106 (d) Prohibited use of weapons.
    The person has in his or her possession a firearm while the person is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303 (7), C.R.S. Possession of a permit issued under section 18-12-105.1, as it existed prior to its repeal, or possession of a permit or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article is no defense to a violation of this subsection (1).
    http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext...0#JD_18-12-106
    Last edited by Intrepid; February 17th, 2010 at 12:22 AM. Reason: added statute information

It is my understanding that carrying in a place that serves alcohol in CO is not prohibited or against the law. And technically... just because you have had a drink doesn't mean you are "under the influence" of alcohol. I'm sure sobriety tests and breathalyzer readings will determine the "under the influence" part. I NEVER drink when carrying. If I go out carrying and we decide to have a drink or two I unload the gun and lock it up in the safe in the locked glove box. Even then... if I were pulled over and blew over the limit I may still be considered in possession of a firearm while "under the influence" even though it isn't technically on me so I'm taking a risk even doing that.

I'm no lawyer and would not try and give "legal" advice but I *think* if you were carrying in ANY place that served alcohol you would be ok provided you were not drinking any yourself. If however you ever did decide to have a drink... before you even took that first sip I would unload and lock that firearm up in your vehicle but that is just me.

More and more states are allowing you to carry in places that serve alcohol. It is our responsibility as CCers to not let people know we are carrying. Therefore, if you practice your carry well, no one will know. However, alcohol and guns dont mix, so dont drink and carry. Remember, it is the fool who starts the fight, and the wise man who stands over the fool at the end of it.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

I don't think guns and alcohol are a good combo period. Too many stupid things happen while drunk. I am sure a lot of us on here are also guilty of said "stupid things". I know I sure the hell am. Usually not too much damage is inflicted except maybe the occasional black eye. But you could always apologize and laugh about it over breakfast.

I think if you threw a gun in the mix of those "stupid moments" those breakfasts wouldn't be too funny.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Links