Wash Post asks opinion about restaurant carry

This is a discussion on Wash Post asks opinion about restaurant carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You may wish to weigh in on this poll asking visitors' opinion about the Virginia Senate's vote to let folks here carry concealed in restaurants. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wash Post asks opinion about restaurant carry

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

You may wish to weigh in on this poll asking visitors' opinion about the Virginia Senate's vote to let folks here carry concealed in restaurants. Here's the article:

Va. Senate votes to allow guns in restaurants
    Anne Bartlett

The Democratically-controlled Virginia Senate has voted to allow concealed weapons permit holders to carry guns in restaurants that serve alcohol, as long as the person carrying the weapon does not drink. The gun bill passed on a 22 to 18 vote, after senators had a vigorous debate about whether or not people might have a reasonable reason to carry guns in restaurants.

The House has passed a similar bill; Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) has expressed support for the measure, and is expected to sign it into law. Both chambers also passed it last year, but Gov. Tim Kaine (D) vetoed it.

Sen. Emmett Hanger (R), who sponsored the measure, said he was doing so on behalf of those who now violate the law that prohibits guns in such establishments rather than leave their weapons in their cars when they go out to eat. He said this was a particular issue for women who carry guns in their purses to defend themselves when they go to, say, Red Lobster. (That was Hanger's example.)

Others argued guns have no place in eating establishments where alcohol is being served. Though the bill would prohibit a weapons carrier from drinking, the opponents said it would be impossible to tell if the law was being violated if the gun was concealed.

The debate was concluded by Sen. Mary Margaret Whipple (D). "As a final comment, let me just say this. I've really never been afraid for my life at the Red Lobster," she said.
    And may the Lord continue to protect Senator Whipple.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Voted yes.. it is 71-29 for yall lets flip this thing to 90% pro.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Quote Originally Posted by Sen. Mary Margaret Whipple (D)
    "As a final comment, let me just say this. I've really never been afraid for my life at the Red Lobster,"
    - I'm sure the professors at the University of Alabama-Huntsville thought the same thing when they were with Amy Bishop. No one ever is afraid for their life, until something horrific happens.

Look at how ignorant those comments are.... yeeeesh

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    Look at how ignorant those comments are.... yeeeesh
    LOL. I especially like all the comments on how CCW's are simply waiting for someone to spill their beer before unleashing a hailstorm of bullets. You know, just like it happens in every state that currently allows it.

Never mind the fact that they probably encounter dozens of CCW's every day and have know idea that they are normal people like everyone else...

"This is so stupic- if it is a concealed weapon how can you tell who is drinking and carrying a weapon- We do live in a weird world- wasn't it in VA that someone killed college students in the past few years? We need less not more guns and this is just another reason people shouldn't eat or drink no less live in VA."

Voted

71Y ~ 28N
    14,100 votes

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I just don't get some people that posted at the article. I wish I could ask them, "if it's not your responsibility to protect yourself and/or your family, then whose is it?"

Done

15,781 votes

73% Yes

27% No
    Tom
    Osculare pultem meam! - Kiss my grits!

Done....73% yes - 27% no
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/post...?hpid=talkbox1

Voted Yes.

Yes: 73%
    No: 26%
    15,923 votes

VIP Member
    Done, still 73, 27

We (Utah) allow OC and CC in restaurants that serve alcohol, and have no problems with it. The comments on that article were amazing to me. But I guess it's what you get from all the antis.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; February 17th, 2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Add more
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Done....Yes....Still 73/26 with 16092 votes.
    " I'm tired of following my Dreams. From now on I will just ask them where they are going and meet up with them later." M.Headberg

Done...

Amazing those comments... I guess just because I have a gun and I go into a restaurant it means I'm going to become belligerently drunk and shoot up the place when someone bumps in to me.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Voted from my office here in NoVA.

Thanks for the link.

It's about time.
    Last edited by MadMac; February 17th, 2010 at 12:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links